RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Gimp 2.8] Pencil Cursor doesn't move with mouse cursor

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2015-09-08 23:19:46 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

In Gimp 2.8, when I move my mouse, the cursor itself moves (the pointer with the little pencil symbol beside it), but the area that represents the pencil on the canvas (the square, circle or whatever), doesn't. The area that represents the pencil on the canvas only moves after I stop moving the pointer.

What's wrong? It there an option I need to set so that the area position updates as I move the mouse?

This is one of the most frustrating things I've found in Gimp 2.8.

PS: I used the pencil tool as an example, but it happens with everything else. The brush tool, the eraser tool, the selection tool (when I try to drag a selection box, the box size doesn't update until I stop move the mouse for a little bit).

2015-10-20 05:24:21 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

In Gimp 2.8, when I move my mouse, the cursor itself moves (the pointer with the little pencil symbol beside it), but the area that represents the pencil on the canvas (the square, circle or whatever), doesn't. The area that represents the pencil on the canvas only moves after I stop moving the pointer.

What's wrong? It there an option I need to set so that the area position updates as I move the mouse?

This is one of the most frustrating things I've found in Gimp 2.8.

PS: I used the pencil tool as an example, but it happens with everything else. The brush tool, the eraser tool, the selection tool (when I try to drag a selection box, the box size doesn't update until I stop move the mouse for a little bit).

Bump

2015-10-20 10:52:23 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Bump

Are you using a graphics tablet? If so try turning off the display of the rulers (De-select "View/Show Rulers")

I think I read somewhere that this has been addressed in a later version of GIMP

Richard
2015-10-21 18:38:34 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Pencil Cursor doesn't move with mouse cursor

That is correct. A recent update to libcairo (not GIMP per se) resulted in a cascading event scenario in GIMP (also Inkscape) when rulers are visible and the tablet pen is moved too quickly:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736411

"...we were basically

redrawing the ruler inside the mouse event handler, which is pure evil."

It has been patched in development versions, but in the meantime toggling image rulers off should be a usable workaround.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:52:23 +0200 From: forums@gimpusers.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] [Gimp 2.8] Pencil Cursor doesn't move with mouse cursor

Bump

Are you using a graphics tablet? If so try turning off the display of the rulers (De-select "View/Show Rulers")

I think I read somewhere that this has been addressed in a later version of GIMP

-- programmer_ceds (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list