RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen Neil Zanella 19 Oct 00:50
  window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen Neil Zanella 20 Oct 22:42
  window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen Sven Neumann 22 Oct 01:04
OF0E636AB4.C56D2137-ON87256... 07 Oct 20:16
  window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen Neil Zanella 21 Oct 00:17
   window sreenshot not working: window larger than screen Simon Budig 21 Oct 00:36
Neil Zanella
2004-10-19 00:50:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello,

I have a very large window. Under fvwm2 window manager (www.fvwm2.org) this window
occupies two virtual screens. So some of the image is offscreen. When I try to capture
the image with GIMP 2.0 's screenshot feature the resulting screenshot is chopped off
(i.e. there is no offscreen image, alas). What can I do?

I wanted to paste the two sides of the window (left and right screenshots) together with
the gimp but was not able to do this. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, anyone know of any programs which do this offscreen window capture
correctly for the time being (until someone fixes it in GIMP)?

Thanks,

Neil

Neil Zanella
2004-10-20 22:42:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

So, is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,

Neil

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:50:07 -0600, Neil Zanella wrote:

Hello,

I have a very large window. Under fvwm2 window manager (www.fvwm2.org) this window
occupies two virtual screens. So some of the image is offscreen. When I try to capture
the image with GIMP 2.0 's screenshot feature the resulting screenshot is chopped off
(i.e. there is no offscreen image, alas). What can I do?

I wanted to paste the two sides of the window (left and right screenshots) together with
the gimp but was not able to do this. Any suggestions?

Alternatively, anyone know of any programs which do this offscreen window capture
correctly for the time being (until someone fixes it in GIMP)?

Thanks,

Neil

Neil Zanella
2004-10-21 00:17:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

No, I used it and it doen't work for me: as I said, my window is larger than my screen.
I am using fvwm2 window manager (which one do you use?). And neither xv not gimp are capturing the part of the window which is offline after I grab. So, is it a window
manager problem or what kind of problem is it?

Thanks,

Neil

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:50:14 -0500, Jim Clark wrote:

Hey Neil--

I use xv for screen shots. Works great, and it is all I do with it, though it has way more functions. Save as tif, edit or do whatever in GIMP. http://www.luratch.com except I don't see it there. It is just one executable--put in /usr/bin and it works great. If you can get a big e-mail I can send it to you.

Thanks-

Jim Clark
IBM Global Services, Service Delivery Center - West Lenexa, Kansas
913/599-8845

Simon Budig
2004-10-21 00:36:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Neil Zanella (nzanella@gmail.com) wrote:

No, I used it and it doen't work for me: as I said, my window is larger than my screen.
I am using fvwm2 window manager (which one do you use?). And neither xv not gimp are capturing the part of the window which is offline after I grab. So, is it a window
manager problem or what kind of problem is it?

No, the problem is simply, that the data of the hidden part of the window is not there. The program only knows how to recreate it when a previously hidden area gets visible.

So you absolutely have to make multiple screenshots, put them into individual layers in the Gimp and arrange them together to recreate the intended appearance.

Bye,
Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-10-22 01:04:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Neil Zanella writes:

I have a very large window. Under fvwm2 window manager (www.fvwm2.org) this window occupies two virtual screens. So some of the image is offscreen. When I try to capture the image with GIMP 2.0 's screenshot feature the resulting screenshot is chopped off (i.e. there is no offscreen image, alas). What can I do?

You can try to use xwd to take the screenshot. GIMP can load images in the xwd file format.

Sven