RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Marcus Bryner 18 Oct 05:10
  My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Malcolm Tredinnick 18 Oct 05:33
   My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Patrick Shanahan 18 Oct 05:46
    My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Kevin Waterson 18 Oct 06:34
    My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu olivier ripoll 18 Oct 10:34
     My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Patrick Shanahan 19 Oct 01:05
      My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu olivier ripoll 20 Oct 10:39
       My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Patrick Shanahan 20 Oct 17:35
        My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu olivier ripoll 20 Oct 18:58
         My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu Owen 20 Oct 23:30
          My new Howto on batch color correction using script-fu olivier ripoll 21 Oct 10:04
Marcus Bryner
2004-10-18 05:10:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hey all,

Maybe someone on this list is interested in this: Here is a new step by step howto on batch color modifications (i.e. getting proper white balance) using GIMP script-fu.

http://schweizerhof.docbryner.com/~marcus/slidestodigital/howto.html

I've been using a slide duplicator to convert 1000's of slides to digital using a Canon A70 camera, then running them through GIMP to correct for proper white balance. I started writing the howto just for myself for future reference, but the project evolved....

Anyone know other good places to post this where someone might be interested? Let me know if anyone finds this useful! :)

Marcus Bryner

Malcolm Tredinnick
2004-10-18 05:33:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 20:10 -0700, Marcus Bryner wrote:

Hey all,

Maybe someone on this list is interested in this: Here is a new step by step howto on batch color modifications (i.e. getting proper white balance) using GIMP script-fu.

http://schweizerhof.docbryner.com/~marcus/slidestodigital/howto.html

I've been using a slide duplicator to convert 1000's of slides to digital using a Canon A70 camera, then running them through GIMP to correct for proper white balance. I started writing the howto just for myself for future reference, but the project evolved....

Anyone know other good places to post this where someone might be interested? Let me know if anyone finds this useful! :)

Your webserver is serving up this document as text/plain (rather than text/html), so it is hard to read at the moment (i.e. littered with HTML tags). You may wish to fix that. :-)

Cheers, Malcolm

Patrick Shanahan
2004-10-18 05:46:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* Malcolm Tredinnick [10-17-04 22:35]: ...

Your webserver is serving up this document as text/plain (rather than text/html), so it is hard to read at the moment (i.e. littered with HTML tags). You may wish to fix that. :-)

Hum, looks fine in Firefox and Konqueror

Kevin Waterson
2004-10-18 06:34:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

This one time, at band camp, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Mozilla renders it fine also

Kevin

--------- "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

olivier ripoll
2004-10-18 10:34:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Not here on Firefox 1.0PR with Windows XP.

Regards,

Olivier.

Patrick Shanahan
2004-10-19 01:05:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* olivier ripoll [10-18-04 03:40]: might be a problem....

^^^^^^^^^^^

olivier ripoll
2004-10-20 10:39:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* olivier ripoll [10-18-04 03:40]: might be a problem....

^^^^^^^^^^^

I have two reasons to think XP might not be the problem: 1- I have received an email from a person called John Shawger for whom the page works with XP + Firefox 1.0PR 2- It works with IE on windows XP

Looking at the page info, the frameset is correctly sent as text/html but the frame content from
http://66.116.68.158/~marcus/slidestodigital/howto.html is sent as text/plain.

So I think Firefox is right not to interpret the frame content. It is a misconfiguration in the server 66.116.68.158 .

I can confirm the "HTML tags" problem on the two computers here.

Regards,

Olivier

Patrick Shanahan
2004-10-20 17:35:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* olivier ripoll [10-20-04 03:40]:

1- I have received an email from a person called John Shawger for whom the page works with XP + Firefox 1.0PR 2- It works with IE on windows XP

So I think Firefox is right not to interpret the frame content. It is a misconfiguration in the server 66.116.68.158 .

Are you contradicting yourself. Works with Firefox on xp, doesn't work with Firefox on xp. Works for me with Firefox on SuSE 9.0 Linux. Firefox is right not to work.

Somehow something is not kosher.

olivier ripoll
2004-10-20 18:58:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

1- I have received an email from a person called John Shawger for whom the page works with XP + Firefox 1.0PR 2- It works with IE on windows XP

Are you contradicting yourself. Works with Firefox on xp, doesn't work with Firefox on xp. Works for me with Firefox on SuSE 9.0 Linux. Firefox is right not to work.

Somehow something is not kosher.

There is no contradiction. Just reread the messages separately and things will get clear. You seem to confuse my mails with mails of other people, since I never reported anything on a Suse.

Facts: HTML code appears as is for at least 3 computers for two persons (Malcolm Tredinnick and I). The corresponding code is sent as plain/text instead of text/html, which is wrong.

Regards,

Olivier.

Owen
2004-10-20 23:30:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:58:46 +0200 olivier ripoll wrote:

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Like others with Mozilla and Konquerer on a Mdk10/KDE machine, I only got the source, however when I removed the first line

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> ....

so that it started off as

etc

I could read it in a browser (less images of course)

Another problem, too hard, so I don't worry :-) Try another day!

Owen

olivier ripoll
2004-10-21 10:04:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Owen wrote:

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:58:46 +0200 Like others with Mozilla and Konquerer on a Mdk10/KDE machine, I only got the source, however when I removed the first line

That is good news. There are now 3 persons reporting the problem :)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> ....

so that it started off as

etc

I could read it in a browser (less images of course)

Well, you should not need to suppress this line. When you save locally the file, there is no problem.

I will try to explain why (I will oversimplify, so some things get not 100% exact):

The browsers need to know what they are looking at (is it an image? a text file? an archive? an html file that has to be interpreted).

When you are looking at local files (files that are on your hard drive), the system is using the file name to guess what the type of the file is. On Windows, the extension (last characters after a dot) is used. On Linux, it is very similar, although the complete file name can be used, not only the last characters (this is why you may have different icons and actions for a README.TXT file or an AUTHORS.TXT than for other txt files). For the name of the file you are looking at (it should be "howto.html"), the system sees it is an html file and tells it to the browser. The browser then interprets the code to display the page correctly. Try this: change the name of the file to howto.txt and drag and drop the file to firefox. It will be displayed as text, with all the tags visible.

When you are looking at a file on the web, your computer cannot know the type of the file since it is not accessible on your hard drive. The web server has to tell it if what is sent is an image, an archive, a pdf, a html file, etc. If the server says text/plain, then the browser will open the file as if it was called "howto.txt". You will ask me "Why does the system not try to guess from the filename?" It would be simple, but would also have problems: You may notice that sometimes, the files are not called toto.html but toto.php or toto.asp. Guessing the file type from the name would most probably not be a good solution either.

So the problem we have here is that the server sends the HTML page saying that it is a plain text one. For the browser, it is exactly the same as reading the "howto.txt" file.

Another problem, too hard, so I don't worry :-) Try another day!

I do not worry :) . Actually, I can view the file in IE if I need to. I can also save it, change all the img tags to point to the images so they point to the images on the web.

Just the original poster has asked for feedback. So we are trying to help him solving a misconfigutation of his server. ;)

Owen

Best regards,

Olivier.

PS: And yes I know, we are really getting off-topic for this list ;)