RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text tool problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text tool problem Balas Mark 14 Oct 11:18
  Text tool problem Sven Neumann 14 Oct 13:01
   Text tool problem Balas Mark 14 Oct 15:19
    Text tool problem olivier ripoll 14 Oct 19:29
  Text tool problem Geoffrey 14 Oct 15:03
Balas Mark
2004-10-14 11:18:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Text tool problem

Hi!

I have just started to use Gimp 2.0.5, under Mandrake Linux 10.0. I have a really serious problem with the text tool.

If I do the following:

1. Start Gimp 2. Create a new image
3. Select the text tool
4. Click on the new image
5. Start typing any text

Both the image window and Gimp closes without any warning after the first 1 to 3 letters. The text I type do not appear in the "word processing" window.

Thanks for any help in andvance.

Mark Balas

Sven Neumann
2004-10-14 13:01:14 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Text tool problem

Hi,

Balas Mark writes:

I have just started to use Gimp 2.0.5, under Mandrake Linux 10.0. I have a really serious problem with the text tool.

If I do the following:

3. Select the text tool
5. Start typing any text

Both the image window and Gimp closes without any warning after the first 1 to 3 letters. The text I type do not appear in the "word processing" window.

It would probably help to start gimp from an xterm (or whatever terminal emulator you prefer) and check if there's any output on the console.

I guess that your problem is a somewhat broken font that causes problems with the libraries that handle fonts for GIMP. Does this happen with whatever font you choose? What versions of freetype and fontconfig are you using?

Sven

Geoffrey
2004-10-14 15:03:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Text tool problem

Balas Mark wrote:

Hi!

If I do the following:

3. Select the text tool
5. Start typing any text

Long shot here, but was the 'word processing' window the current window? Or was it possible that GIMP was picking up what you were typing and took it as some command, say exit??

Balas Mark
2004-10-14 15:19:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Text tool problem

Hi!

Sven Neumann wrote:

It would probably help to start gimp from an xterm (or whatever terminal emulator you prefer) and check if there's any output on the console.

The output is the following:

[trychydts@localhost trychydts]$ /usr/local/bin/gimp

(gimp:2212): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid uninstantiatable type `' in cast to `GimpConfigInterface'

(gimp:2212): Gimp-Config-CRITICAL **: file gimpconfig-utils.c: line 300 (gimp_config_sync): assertion `GIMP_IS_CONFIG (src)' failed

(gimp:2212): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1319 (g_object_ref): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(script-fu:2213): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read(): error Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I guess that your problem is a somewhat broken font that causes problems with the libraries that handle fonts for GIMP. Does this happen with whatever font you choose?

I haven't tried all, beacause I have about 300 fonts installed, but it seems to be the case.

What versions of freetype and
fontconfig are you using?

How could I find this out? (Sorry for being so amateur, but I switched to Linux only three months ago.)

Thanks,

Mark Balas

olivier ripoll
2004-10-14 19:29:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Text tool problem

Balas Mark wrote:

Hi!

What versions of freetype and
fontconfig are you using?

How could I find this out? (Sorry for being so amateur, but I switched to Linux only three months ago.)

Go to the mandrake control center, package category, and launch the remove package tool. There you can search for "fontconfig" and "freetype", and it should return you the name of the rpm packages installed on your system.

DO NOT UNINSTALL THEM. just note the name of the packages

On a Mandrake 10.0, you should have: fontconfig-2.2.1-7mdk.i586.rpm
libfontconfig1-2.2.1-7mdk.i586.rpm
freetype-1.3.1-21mdk.i586.rpm
freetype-tools-1.3.1-21mdk.i586.rpm
freetype2-tools-2.1.7-1mdk.i586.rpm
libfreetype6-2.1.7-4mdk.i586.rpm

also, there are packages called gimp-freetype (don't ask me what they do, I think it is the freetype plugin, so there are not relevant) gimp-freetype-0.2-3mdk.i586.rpm
gimp2-freetype-0.5-3mdk.i586.rpm

Thanks,

Mark Balas

Just as a data point, I have gimp 2.0.5 installed on my Mandrake 10.0

Could you also give the version of your gtk2 package called libgtk+2.0-versionnumber-numbermdk.i586.rpm On an original mdk 10.0, it is 2.2.4, which I am not sure is enough for gimp 2.0.5.

Best regards,

Olivier.

PS: there are some rpm of gimp 2.0.3 here: http://wwwra.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~waschk/Mandrake/10.0/