RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Indexed layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Indexed layers Pedro Albuquerque 23 Jul 18:42
  Indexed layers Joao S. O. Bueno 23 Jul 19:03
  Indexed layers Liam R E Quin 23 Jul 19:06
   Indexed layers Pedro Albuquerque 23 Jul 19:30
Pedro Albuquerque
2015-07-23 18:42:11 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Indexed layers

Hi,

First of all let me say that I'm an almost complete ignorant about image manipulating. And also a very recent GIMP user.

That said, I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.

When I try to change colours (menu Colours->Colorize(?) or Colour curves) for png's in gtk3/assets, I get a message about not working with indexed layers.
GIMP has a very complete and vast help system. Could someone point me to where I should look for info about editing these files?

Another matter, I also tried a plugin for exporting to svg but I couldn't get it to work! :-(

Regards, Pedro.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-07-23 19:03:57 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Indexed layers

Just do "image->mode->rgb" before starting your work

On 23 July 2015 at 15:42, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

Hi,

First of all let me say that I'm an almost complete ignorant about image manipulating. And also a very recent GIMP user.

That said, I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.

When I try to change colours (menu Colours->Colorize(?) or Colour curves) for png's in gtk3/assets, I get a message about not working with indexed layers.
GIMP has a very complete and vast help system. Could someone point me to where I should look for info about editing these files?

Another matter, I also tried a plugin for exporting to svg but I couldn't get it to work! :-(

Regards, Pedro.

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Liam R E Quin
2015-07-23 19:06:24 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Indexed layers

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:42:11 +0100 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.

At the top of the window, in the window manager title bar, you'll see, e.g. (clean socks.png (8bit indexed)
meaning the image uses a fixed "palette" of colours. You can edit the palette directly, or for more creative changes, convert the image to RGB with image/mode/RGB and then you can use as many colours as you like - but some video cards, especially ones more than 20 years old, may have problems. Those systems can't display most Web pages either.

My telepathy skills are on the blink today so I'm not certain which exact plugin it was or what exactly went wrong. However, GIMP is a pixel-based image editor, and SVG is a vector format. Use Inkscape to edit or create SVG.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Pedro Albuquerque
2015-07-23 19:30:05 UTC (over 8 years ago)

Indexed layers

Thank you both. I thought it would be more complicated.

Regards, Pedro.

Qui, 2015-07-23 às 15:06 -0400, Liam R E Quin escreveu:

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:42:11 +0100 Pedro Albuquerque wrote:

I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.

At the top of the window, in the window manager title bar, you'll see, e.g. (clean socks.png (8bit indexed)
meaning the image uses a fixed "palette" of colours. You can edit the palette directly, or for more creative changes, convert the image to RGB with image/mode/RGB and then you can use as many colours as you like - but some video cards, especially ones more than 20 years old, may have problems. Those systems can't display most Web pages either.

My telepathy skills are on the blink today so I'm not certain which exact plugin it was or what exactly went wrong. However, GIMP is a pixel-based image editor, and SVG is a vector format. Use Inkscape to edit or create SVG.

Liam