RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Dora Smith 20 Jun 04:46
  How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? JLuc 28 Jun 11:40
   How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Akkana Peck 28 Jun 14:03
    How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Ross Martinek 28 Jun 16:10
    How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Judy Wilson 28 Jun 16:12
     How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Judy Wilson 28 Jun 23:59
    How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Michael Schumacher 28 Jun 17:35
     How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? JLuc 02 Jul 18:36
      How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Ross Martinek 02 Jul 19:23
       How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? steven8 03 Jul 02:07
        How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Michael Schumacher 03 Jul 21:51
         How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? steven8 03 Jul 22:35
          How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Michael Schumacher 03 Jul 22:41
           How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? steven8 04 Jul 09:16
            How do I get the lasso tool to stop adding lines? Ross Martinek 04 Jul 15:50
Dora Smith
2015-06-20 04:46:11 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

I draw a loop with the lasso, and I can cut or copy and then paste what I selected.

Only problem, the lasso tool continues to draw lines all over the image, and I can’t get it to turn off. How does one turn it off.

I understand you’re supposed to be able to hold down the shift key and select a separate area – but it also selects a line between them, and the line may cut one of the two selections in half!

I’m having this problem in both Ubuntu and Windows 7. And I’m having it with ALL of the freehand selection tools, not just one of them.

Dora

--- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. http://www.avast.com

JLuc
2015-06-28 11:40:22 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Le 20/06/2015 06:46, Dora Smith a écrit :

I draw a loop with the lasso, and I can cut or copy and then paste what I selected.

Only problem, the lasso tool continues to draw lines all over the image, and I can’t get it to turn off. How does one turn it off.

I understand you’re supposed to be able to hold down the shift key and select a separate area – but it also selects a line between them, and the line may cut one of the two selections in half!

I’m having this problem in both Ubuntu and Windows 7. And I’m having it with ALL of the freehand selection tools, not just one of them.

I've also had this issue.

Solution seems to be to take care of remembering which is the first point,

and click on the first point so as to close the shape and end the point inputs.

Note to the devs : Gimp could help when the first point had a different color.

JL

Akkana Peck
2015-06-28 14:03:09 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

JLuc writes:

No need to remember anything. Hit Enter and the tool will close the selection, from the last point you made back to the first point.

There's a visual difference too: as your mouse gets close to a point, if it's not the first point, the line from your last point disappears. That's because the behavior is different: if you click on the last point, the tool closes the selection, but if you click and drag on any other point, you can move it. But you don't have to remember or be aware of any of that if you just hit Enter whenever you want to close the selection.

...Akkana

Ross Martinek
2015-06-28 16:10:38 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Didn't know about pressing the "Enter" key. Good tip.

Ross

On Jun 28, 2015, at 9:03 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

Le 20/06/2015 06:46, Dora Smith a crit :

Only problem, the lasso tool continues to draw lines all over the image, and I cant get it to turn off. How does one turn it off.

JLuc writes:

No need to remember anything. Hit Enter and the tool will close the selection, from the last point you made back to the first point.

There's a visual difference too: as your mouse gets close to a point, if it's not the first point, the line from your last point disappears. That's because the behavior is different: if you click on the last point, the tool closes the selection, but if you click and drag on any other point, you can move it. But you don't have to remember or be aware of any of that if you just hit Enter whenever you want to close the selection.

...Akkana _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Judy Wilson
2015-06-28 16:12:40 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

I'm no Gimp guru, but I have had this problem, with the line still staying. I've just learned to hit the Move tool, and the line goes away.

On 06/28/2015 08:03 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

JLuc writes:

...Akkana _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-28 17:35:40 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 06/28/2015 04:03 PM, Akkana Peck wrote:

JLuc writes:

My impression from this thread was that people do this, have a selection, but the lasso was still drawing lines.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Judy Wilson
2015-06-28 23:59:39 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Well, I have no idea why it happened, but since I wrote this earlier today, my lasso tool completes the selection when I click once on the start point, and there is no longer a line extended. I have no idea why this happened! But it works great now. Who knows?

On 06/28/2015 10:12 AM, Judy Wilson wrote:

I'm no Gimp guru, but I have had this problem, with the line still staying. I've just learned to hit the Move tool, and the line goes away.

JLuc
2015-07-02 18:36:08 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Le 28/06/2015 19:35, Michael Schumacher a écrit :

My impression from this thread was that people do this, have a selection, but the lasso was still drawing lines.

My impression is that even if there are solutions to use the tool, there is a usability issue.
JLuc

Ross Martinek
2015-07-02 19:23:53 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

My impression is that it isn't usability, but rather documentation. While I found the tool fairly intuitive, a number of tips in this thread I would never have figured out save by accident. The problem with an "intuitive" tool design is that it isn't necessarily intuitive to everyone. This is especially true when one is attempting to learn a program while doing a project. If that project has a deadline, it compounds the problem within the user's mindand the human mind is a very peculiar squirrel. As a friend of mine once remarked, a project with a deadline is not the time to learn a new technology.

Good documentation, either as "tool tips" or in some written form, however, can only do so much, and nothing if one does not RTFM, for whatever reason. That's one reason lists like this are such a good resource. They are generally quicker than searching through a massive tome for the answer.
Ross

On Jul 2, 2015, at 1:36 PM, JLuc wrote:

Le 28/06/2015 19:35, Michael Schumacher a crit :

My impression is that even if there are solutions to use the tool, there is a usability issue.
JLuc

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

steven8
2015-07-03 02:07:47 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

My impression is that it isn't usability, but rather documentation. While I found the tool fairly intuitive, a number of tips in this thread I would never have figured out save by accident. The problem with an "intuitive" tool design is that it isn't necessarily intuitive to everyone. This is especially true when one is attempting to learn a program while doing a project. If that project has a deadline, it compounds the problem within the user's mindand the human mind is a very peculiar squirrel. As a friend of mine once remarked, a project with a deadline is not the time to learn a new technology.

Good documentation, either as "tool tips" or in some written form, however, can only do so much, and nothing if one does not RTFM, for whatever reason. That's one reason lists like this are such a good resource. They are generally quicker than searching through a massive tome for the answer.

Ross

I feel the frustration of the OP, as I too had the same issue when I first started out. This is not a usability issue at all. There is NO WAY that everything in a program can be totally intuitive, and to expect that is just silly.

I do love forums such as this though, as I never knew you could go back and change the position of previous points as you go along. That is awesome!

Michael Schumacher
2015-07-03 21:51:46 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 07/03/2015 04:07 AM, steven8 wrote:

I feel the frustration of the OP, as I too had the same issue when I first started out. This is not a usability issue at all. There is NO WAY that everything in a program can be totally intuitive, and to expect that is just silly.

Can you try to describe the problem in a step-by-step list? As it is, I doubt many people are able to tell what is happening.

Regards,
Michael
steven8
2015-07-03 22:35:10 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Can you try to describe the problem in a step-by-step list? As it is, I doubt many people are able to tell what is happening.

I'm sorry, Michael. I'm afraid I was not clear. I felt the OP's frustration because I ONCE had that problem, but have since figured it out. I now have no issue whatsoever using the lasso tool. I was merely expressing how helpful this thread has been because I did not know points could be edited as you go along making your selection.

Michael Schumacher
2015-07-03 22:41:43 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 07/04/2015 12:35 AM, steven8 wrote:

I'm sorry, Michael. I'm afraid I was not clear. I felt the OP's frustration because I ONCE had that problem, but have since figured it out.

Yes, I got that. But can you still try to describe the steps you took back then, and tell us what was puzzling you?

In case it is not obvious, I'm current reading and re-reading this thread and wondering: "what exactly are/were they seeing?"

Regards,
Michael
steven8
2015-07-04 09:16:46 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Yes, I got that. But can you still try to describe the steps you took back then, and tell us what was puzzling you?

In case it is not obvious, I'm current reading and re-reading this thread and wondering: "what exactly are/were they seeing?"

Well, it's hard to remember, exactly. I recall having a few issues with the lasso tool. And by that, I don't mean that the tool did not work as it was supposed to, it was me as a user that probably constricted myself.

I recall firstly being frustrated by the fact that if I had to enlarge my image big enough that it went beyond the edge of the window, that the window would not automatically scroll when I had to go beyond the edge, as it does in Paintshop Pro, which I was used to when I found GIMP. I didn't think you could grab a scroll bar, move the window, then continue your selection. I would zoom the image til it all fit, then select as best I could.

Also, I must not have been grabbing the first selection point properly, because it wouldn't close. I found myself trying to make my selections so that I could double click to close it, and the straight line would complete my selection area as best it could.

They seem so silly now, but were quite frustrating at the time.

Ross Martinek
2015-07-04 15:50:52 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

There is something here it would be well for software developers to keep in mind: The human mind is not a computer. It does not work from logic alone. (A case can be made that it rarely, if ever works logically.) What is logical and forthright to one human will be obscure to another. Sometime it seems astonishing to me that humans can communicate at all.

The interaction between programmer, machine, and user is like the following analogy:

A person who speaks Tagalog is talking to a person who speaks Urdu, through a translator that understands both Tagalog and Urdu, but actually thinks in Swahili. Things don't always come across as intended.

Over time (less when the programmer is good) all three start to understand not the others' languages, but the way they think. That is what is happening here. However, I think the consensus is that it isn't the way the software is written. It's the fact that learning any advanced graphics software is, at times, mind boggling.

Ross

On Jul 4, 2015, at 4:16 AM, steven8 wrote:

Well, it's hard to remember, exactly. I recall having a few issues with the lasso tool. And by that, I don't mean that the tool did not work as it was supposed to, it was me as a user that probably constricted myself.

I recall firstly being frustrated by the fact that if I had to enlarge my image big enough that it went beyond the edge of the window, that the window would not automatically scroll when I had to go beyond the edge, as it does in Paintshop Pro, which I was used to when I found GIMP. I didn't think you could grab a scroll bar, move the window, then continue your selection. I would zoom the image til it all fit, then select as best I could.

Also, I must not have been grabbing the first selection point properly, because it wouldn't close. I found myself trying to make my selections so that I could double click to close it, and the straight line would complete my selection area as best it could.

They seem so silly now, but were quite frustrating at the time.

-- steven8 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list