RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Questions about normal maps and GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Questions about normal maps and GIMP Noel Stoutenburg 15 Jun 16:27
  Questions about normal maps and GIMP Alexandre Prokoudine 15 Jun 21:12
   Questions about normal maps and GIMP Noel Stoutenburg 16 Jun 08:50
Noel Stoutenburg
2015-06-15 16:27:13 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Friends,

In the past I have had the occasional need to produce a "normal map" from an image, and had good success from the plug in "Normal Map 1-2-3". But I hadn't used it for a while, in fact since before I upgraded my OS (to Windows 8 64 bit). I have not been able to install this plug-in successfully into my GIMP installation, perhaps because I have the installation in a custom place.

One of the other options I've looked at is the "Insane Bump" plug in, but I haven't decided to try to install that one either, because of a characteristic it seems to share with Normalmap, namely that it has been a while (though not as long as with Normal map) since the package has been updated. Combined with the age of the 2.8.14 release of GIMP, it seems prudent to ask some questions.

Is the capability to produce a normal map from within GIMP something that is apt to be added to the native codebase in the next major release (3.0)?

Is anyone aware of a better normal map plug-in than the two listed above available now, or under development for release in the near future?

ns

Alexandre Prokoudine
2015-06-15 21:12:03 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM, Noel Stoutenburg wrote:

Friends,

In the past I have had the occasional need to produce a "normal map" from an image, and had good success from the plug in "Normal Map 1-2-3". But I hadn't used it for a while, in fact since before I upgraded my OS (to Windows 8 64 bit). I have not been able to install this plug-in successfully into my GIMP installation, perhaps because I have the installation in a custom place.

One of the other options I've looked at is the "Insane Bump" plug in, but I haven't decided to try to install that one either, because of a characteristic it seems to share with Normalmap, namely that it has been a while (though not as long as with Normal map) since the package has been updated. Combined with the age of the 2.8.14 release of GIMP, it seems prudent to ask some questions.

Is the capability to produce a normal map from within GIMP something that is apt to be added to the native codebase in the next major release (3.0)?

Is anyone aware of a better normal map plug-in than the two listed above available now, or under development for release in the near future?

Hi Noel,

First things first. Providing tools to create normal maps is well within GIMP's product vision [1], so I'd say should someone volunteer to a) add this feature to GIMP, and b) maintain it., this might even make it to 2.10.

It all boils down to getting involved someone who's interested in this feature and has the time. The core team is currently busy with other work.

Assuming that with "Normal Map 1-2-3" you are referring to NormalMap v1.2.3 [2],I don't think I ever heard of other plugins like these two. And I'm not in a position to say which one's better.

As for stable release updates, another one is not too far off. Right now Mitch is having time of his life getting color management into a much better shape for the development version :) So please be patient

[1] http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision [2] https://code.google.com/p/gimp-normalmap/downloads/list

Alex

Noel Stoutenburg
2015-06-16 08:50:10 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Alexandre

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

ns.