RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using Tablet AND Mouse together ??

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Peter Pernhofer 09 Jun 00:05
  Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Michael Schumacher 09 Jun 00:46
  Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Ofnuts 09 Jun 07:36
  Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Jehan Pagès 09 Jun 10:12
   Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Michael Natterer 10 Jun 22:11
    Using Tablet AND Mouse together ?? Ross A. Martinek 13 Jun 14:31
Peter Pernhofer
2015-06-09 00:05:46 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Hi everybody
especially Hi to the GIMP-Team!

I'm desperate and can not believe that something like this is possible. That's why I signed up for this mailing list.

I bought an expensive graphics tablet to draw with it. Of course! We don't need to discuss that painting with a Mouse is painful. BUT!!
It is just as painful, to operate on controls with the Stylus. Such as Checkboxes, Sliders, Lists (Lists with Scrollbars!!! Who wants to scroll with a Pen instead with a Wheel-Mouse ???). No one will throw his mouse, just because he owns a Tablet. In GIMP however, anyone has decided that we can not longer use the mouse when we use a tablet?!?!?!

I simply want to choose a Pen, a Brush, an Erasor, configurate Brush-Size, Drawing-Dynamics, change a Gradient, etc, etc, etc... Without remembering each time, if I've done this with the Mouse or the Stylus.
That can not be true!
This can not be serious!

I am Software Developer since 15 years and my clients would kill me, if there is no Option to en-/disable a so far-reaching "Feature". Having different Tools and Colors for each Input-Device may be a cool Feature for somebody. But for sure not for the Majority. The Majority thinks, that is just a BUG! Like me! After spending hours of Trying, reinstall the Wacom-Drivers, writing to Wacom-Support (!!) etc., I realized that should not be a Bug, but just a Feature of GIMP.
LOL!!
Take a quick Google Search, if you don't believe, that I'm not the only one.

Sorry, I have a comparsion: Suppose you buy a second Monitor and a Video-Card with two outputs.You connect all together, but the second Screen shows all in Portrait. After spending hours, you realize, that this is not a Bug, just a Feature. For some reason, the Developer of the card-driver has decided that the second monitor must be twisted. Just like that because he found it useful for himself or maybe just for fun!
And there is no Option, to turn this "Feature" Off! What would you think now?

Sorry! I'm really frustrated, because I'm not able to use my new cool Tablet with GIMP. At least not with the Pressure-Levels (thats why I bought a new one). Without Pressure Levels it would work, because for any Reason it's not necessary to activate the Tablet Device in the GIMP-Settings and therefore GIMP does not recogniz it as a second Input-Device. Thinking now to change, even though I was always against Photoshop :-(

Greets Peter.

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-09 00:46:20 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 06/09/2015 02:05 AM, Peter Pernhofer wrote:

Hi everybody

Hi Peter,

I'm desperate and can not believe that something like this is possible. That's why I signed up for this mailing list.

signing up and posting this to the gimp-developer list might have been slightly better, but let's discuss the basics here.

I bought an expensive graphics tablet to draw with it. Of course! We don't need to discuss that painting with a Mouse is painful. BUT!!
It is just as painful, to operate on controls with the Stylus. Such as Checkboxes, Sliders, Lists (Lists with Scrollbars!!! Who wants to scroll with a Pen instead with a Wheel-Mouse ???). No one will throw his mouse, just because he owns a Tablet. In GIMP however, anyone has decided that we can not longer use the mouse when we use a tablet?!?!?!

I guess you have also started the thread at http://www.gimpforum.de/showthread.php?p=154260#poststop

You got some answers and hints there already - in particular that GIMP is designed to be used with mouse&keyboard or tablet&keyboard

Many of the actions can be done by keyboard shortcuts - and you might also be able to assign some tablet keys to them.

I simply want to choose a Pen, a Brush, an Erasor, configurate Brush-Size, Drawing-Dynamics, change a Gradient, etc, etc, etc... Without remembering each time, if I've done this with the Mouse or the Stylus.

You can even get multiple styluses for some graphics tablets - then you are even supposed to remember which one of those you were using.

BTW, your dynamics curve adjustment example (if I got that right, that is) from the forum thread seems a bit off to me - modifying those with the mouse and then using them with a stylus-controlled tool works perfectly fine for me. Maybe you can point out if I'm missing something there?

That can not be true!
This can not be serious!

Well, it is true and serious for now.

I am Software Developer since 15 years and my clients would kill me, if there is no Option to en-/disable a so far-reaching "Feature".

No, they would request that to become a feature, or report it as a bug.

Just as it was done for that one already: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=667862

The approach was from a slightly different angle, but the issue is effectively the same.

So what's needed is for someone to design the user interaction for that, for example fast and easy switching between

- "mouse sets tablet device settings" - "mouse is an independent device"

and of cousre indicating why the mouse is acting that way in each of those modes.

Then, somone has to implement it.

I understand that you are offering your 15 years of developer experience to help with that.

We can help to get you up to speed with the GIMP and GTK+ code necessary for that. Our IRC channel #gimp on irc.gimp.org usually works best for the highly interactive discussions at the start of such endeavors. The best times to meet us there are European evening hours.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Ofnuts
2015-06-09 07:36:41 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 09/06/15 02:05, Peter Pernhofer wrote:

use a tablet?!?!?!

That can not be true!
This can not be serious!

Edit>Preferences>Tool options>Paint potions shared between tools

Jehan Pagès
2015-06-09 10:12:41 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:05 AM, Peter Pernhofer wrote:

Hi everybody

It is just as painful, to operate on controls with the Stylus. Such as Checkboxes, Sliders, Lists (Lists with Scrollbars!!! Who wants to scroll with a Pen instead with a Wheel-Mouse ???).

You are just not used to use a tablet. I can assure you that people who use tablets all day long don't switch from mouse to tablet back to mouse back to […] all day long. They just stay on the tablet and that's just more comfortable to them than having to change every time they need to change a settings (which is like every few seconds, or even more often, if you intensively use GIMP!). This would be crazy. But as every new tool, the first times are difficult. We have been used to use mouses to click on buttons and move with relative positions on screens for years, of course you find the tablet pen, with absolute positionning instead and with hovering without touching, and such difficult. For now.

Anyway that does not make the issue non-existant. As Michael already answered, we are aware of it, and things can be improved, in particular for some specific workflows. But that certainly does not make GIMP useless in the common workflows. I would really advise to train yourself to use only the tablet when you do and the mouse when you do. Making mix of it is only a bother on the long run.

Jehan

No one will throw his mouse, just because he owns a Tablet. In GIMP however, anyone has decided that we can not longer use the mouse when we use a tablet?!?!?!

That can not be true!
This can not be serious!

I am Software Developer since 15 years and my clients would kill me, if there is no Option to en-/disable a so far-reaching "Feature". Having different Tools and Colors for each Input-Device may be a cool Feature for somebody. But for sure not for the Majority. The Majority thinks, that is just a BUG! Like me! After spending hours of Trying, reinstall the Wacom-Drivers, writing to Wacom-Support (!!) etc., I realized that should not be a Bug, but just a Feature of GIMP.
LOL!!
Take a quick Google Search, if you don't believe, that I'm not the only one.

Sorry, I have a comparsion: Suppose you buy a second Monitor and a Video-Card with two outputs.You connect all together, but the second Screen shows all in Portrait. After spending hours, you realize, that this is not a Bug, just a Feature. For some reason, the Developer of the card-driver has decided that the second monitor must be twisted. Just like that because he found it useful for himself or maybe just for fun!
And there is no Option, to turn this "Feature" Off! What would you think now?

Sorry! I'm really frustrated, because I'm not able to use my new cool Tablet with GIMP. At least not with the Pressure-Levels (thats why I bought a new one). Without Pressure Levels it would work, because for any Reason it's not necessary to activate the Tablet Device in the GIMP-Settings and therefore GIMP does not recogniz it as a second Input-Device. Thinking now to change, even though I was always against Photoshop :-(

Greets Peter. _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Michael Natterer
2015-06-10 22:11:08 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 12:12 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Hi everybody

It is just as painful, to operate on controls with the Stylus. Such as Checkboxes, Sliders, Lists (Lists with Scrollbars!!! Who wants to scroll with a Pen instead with a Wheel-Mouse ???).

You are just not used to use a tablet. I can assure you that people who use tablets all day long don't switch from mouse to tablet back to mouse back to […] all day long.

I can assure you they do :)

I'm left handed and use the right hand for the mouse anyway, so when I use a tablet, it's really super nice to use both at the same time.

--Mitch

Ross A. Martinek
2015-06-13 14:31:28 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

I'm right handed, and use both stylus and mouse, depending on what I need to do and which is more efficientjust what works for me. Find what works for you.

In that light: you can probably adjust the settings for the stylus to make this easier. Many tablets allow mode switching. One mode for actual drawing or painting, the other for interface manipulation. This should be covered in the documentation for the tablet. RTFreakingM and play with the settings until you find a combination that works for you. This will also familiarize you with the tablet. Like any tool, it requires practice and some experimentation to master its use.

Ross

On Jun 10, 2015, at 5:11 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:

On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 12:12 +0200, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

Hi everybody

You are just not used to use a tablet. I can assure you that people who use tablets all day long don't switch from mouse to tablet back to mouse back to [] all day long.

I can assure you they do :)

I'm left handed and use the right hand for the mouse anyway, so when I use a tablet, it's really super nice to use both at the same time.

--Mitch

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list