RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP - Internet relationship

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP - Internet relationship mgroothuis 03 Jun 22:04
  GIMP - Internet relationship Michael Schumacher 03 Jun 22:29
2015-06-03 22:04:48 UTC (almost 9 years ago)
postings

I am curious as to what the relationship between GIMP and an Internet connection is. Yesterday afternoon my Internet connection went down and stayed down for 4 hours. During this time GIMP slowed down dramatically: startup was much much slower, opening of images was dramatically slower, some of the filters (both G'MIC and internal to GIMP) took forever to complete etc. Once the Internet connection was restored all went back to normal! This morning GIMP opens rapidly, loads images speedily, and the filters are not struggling. I lost touch of the restarts I did yesterday, both warm and cold, thinking something had gone wrong because I was working on a massive poster. As it turns out it was our National Broadband Network that hiccuped badly... Just wondered if someone else had experienced this and could explain the connection.

Michael Schumacher
2015-06-03 22:29:49 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

On 06/04/2015 12:04 AM, mgroothuis wrote:

I am curious as to what the relationship between GIMP and an Internet connection is.

No much.You can access the online help or load an image from an URL, for example. I'm not sure if e.g. the thumbnail verification for files loaded from URLs would use net connections, though.

Some important things to know:

- what operating system do you use? - where did you get GIMP from? (and are you sure about that, and can you verify that you are sure about it?)

Yesterday afternoon my Internet connection went down and stayed down for 4 hours. During this time GIMP slowed down dramatically: startup was much much slower, opening of images was dramatically slower, some of the filters (both G'MIC and internal to GIMP) took forever to complete etc.

Did you run any network tracing tool to check what applications on your system might be trying to connect, or where any connection attempts were supposed to be going to?

Once the Internet connection was restored all went back to normal! This morning GIMP opens rapidly, loads images speedily, and the filters are not struggling.

It should be easy to reproduce this problem if it is only the borken connection by deliberately breaking it, preferably in a way that keep your system still connected to a switch and with an IP address, for example - did you try to do this, and what happened?

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD