RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help needed with GIMP 2.2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 06 Oct 17:13
  help needed with GIMP 2.2 Simon Budig 06 Oct 17:34
   help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 06 Oct 20:37
  help needed with GIMP 2.2 Nonexistent Entity 06 Oct 18:10
   help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 06 Oct 19:47
  help needed with GIMP 2.2 olivier ripoll 08 Oct 14:37
   help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 08 Oct 19:57
   help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 08 Oct 20:29
    help needed with GIMP 2.2 olivier ripoll 11 Oct 09:50
     help needed with GIMP 2.2 Sven Neumann 11 Oct 10:57
      help needed with GIMP 2.2 olivier ripoll 12 Oct 09:16
Sven Neumann
2004-10-06 17:13:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

we are getting closer to the 2.2 release but there's still a lot of things that need to be done. This mail will focus on stuff that should be done for GIMP 2.2 but doesn't need any programming skills. For that reason I am also addressing the gimp-user list here. We are looking for contributions on the following tasks:

(1) We will probably want to have a press-release to announce GIMP 2.2. This is a rather large task but it can be split up into a couple of smaller things:

- Collect a list of changes since GIMP 2.0. This should focus on user-visible changes.

- Collect screenshots of the development version. We can first use those for http://developer.gimp.org/screenshots.html and pick some nice ones for the press release then.

- Prepare a list of recipients for the press release.

- Actually write it and prepare a HTML and a PDF version of it.

(2) Review and complete the API reference manuals. This will probably need some programming skills but some simple proof-reading would already help a lot. We have tried to keep the API reference manuals uptodate during development. We did however often only add stubs. What's missing here is at least some short introductions into all the new sections that have been added.

I will try to upload an uptodate snapshot of the docs at http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/ later today. It would be very nice if we could find a volunteer who could help us to improve the docs for 2.2. If you are interested, please let me know.

(3) It would be nice to see a chapter added to the API reference that deals with changes between GIMP 2.0 and GIMP 2.2 and how to port a plug-in. I am willing to collect the list of changes and such but I'd like to get some help with this.

(4) As you already know, the gimp-help project is looking for more contributors. The more help content we can get written for 2.2, the better.

(5) As always we need people testing the pre-releases that we will start to roll out soon.

There's certainly things I forgot. Please tell me about them.

Sven

Simon Budig
2004-10-06 17:34:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

(3) It would be nice to see a chapter added to the API reference that deals with changes between GIMP 2.0 and GIMP 2.2 and how to port a plug-in. I am willing to collect the list of changes and such but I'd like to get some help with this.

Compile me a list and I'll do it. I also need some advice on where to put this in the devel-docs.

Bye, Simon

Nonexistent Entity
2004-10-06 18:10:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:13:43 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

(5) As always we need people testing the pre-releases that we will start to roll out soon.

I'd like to be able to test a binary release for Win32 if there are any plans about it.

Sven Neumann
2004-10-06 19:47:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Nonexistent Entity" writes:

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:13:43 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

I'd like to be able to test a binary release for Win32 if there are any plans about it.

We don't do any binary release, ever. But if someone wants to build a binary of gimp-2.2-preX for Win32 and share it, we'd welcome that.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-10-06 20:37:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Simon Budig writes:

Compile me a list and I'll do it. I also need some advice on where to put this in the devel-docs.

I'd like to see something similar to http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/migrating.html. Of course it doesn't need to be as comprehensive. The GTK+ developers also started with a smaller chapter...

I am not really sure where to put this since we have a bunch of API manuals. Probably best to put it to the libgimp manual since that's what most plug-in authors will look at and libgimp/libgimpui is using the other libraries. So it could just become a new chapter in http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/

Now let's try to collect a list of changes. It is probably a good idea to talk about GTK+-2.4 and to point to http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/migrating.html. Then there are a couple of new widgets that we introduced:

- GimpIntComboBox replaces the gimp_int_option_menu_new() constructor. - GimpFrame can help to make plug-in dialogs HIG-conform. - GimpColorHexEntry is the fancy color entry used in the color selector. - GimpCellRendererToggle is what we use for example in the Layers dialogs to draw the eye toggle button. - GimpPreviewArea is a GtkPreview replacement that also deals with all image types GIMP knows about and can render a checkerboard to visualize transparency.
- GimpPreview is an abstract base class only and is used by the new GimpDrawablePreview and GimpAspectPreview (in libgimpui).

Besides the new previews, libgimpui has a couple of other additions:

- gimppixbuf.h provides an easy way to get image and drawable thumbnails as GdkPixbufs.
- gimimagecombobox.h and gimpdrawablecombobox.h have replacements for the now deprecated functions in gimpmenu.h. - gimpprogress.h deals with the new GimpProgress API, the GimpProgressBar widget hides this complexity from the plug-in author.

libgimp has seen an API cleanup as well. Quite a lot of the brush/gradient/pattern/palette functions have been deprecated and new saner APIs have been added. The GimpContext namespace is completely new and gimp_context_push/pop should definitely be mentioned. It is especially useful for script developers.

The best way to list all new functions is to grep for the word "Since" in the .c files. We've marked all new functions with "Since: GIMP 2.2".

Prototypes of deprecated functions are in GIMP_DISABLE_DEPRECATED guards. It would certainly be nice to explain how to use this define to write clean code that uses only the new APIs. Would probably be good to also mention the --pdb-compat-mode command-line option.

That should be more than enough to get you started...

Sven

olivier ripoll
2004-10-08 14:37:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Disclaimer:
I apologise if this message appears in double, I sent one earlier this morning, but since I do not see it in the newsgroup or the mailing-list archive, I suspect I did something wrong with my newgroup client, so I resend it. (I am passing by gmane.org newgroup interface). (end of disclaimer)

Sven Neumann wrote:

[...]

My question is then:
Are there specific places/actions in gimp that should be tested? Areas where bugs are more suspected to hide because of important changes...

Yesterday, I started with the "Glass effects", "Light effects", "Distorts" and a few map plugins, and I found only an old bug (present in 1.2 already), a minor new bug and a weirdness (I do not know if it qualifies as a bug).

1- The old bug (I did not see it in Bugzilla, but 1.2 and 2.0 are affected): In the Map Object plugin, in the Material tab the setting for "Highlight" in the reflectivity can be chosen as a real number with two decimals between 0 and 10000000000000000000,00. However, any non integer value gives a black area in the preview rendering and in the final result. Also, the meaning of the value is not clear. According to other bug reports for this plugin in bugzilla, this plugin is unmaintained, so I guess it is not worth opening a new bug report for it.

2- The new minor bug: preview in Glass Effects -> Apply lens: When the "Preview" checkbox is checked, toggleing the radio buttons "Keep original surroundings" and "Set surrounding to background color" does not change the preview. To have an updated preview, one needs either to uncheck and recheck the "Preview" checkbox or to change the refractive index value. However, the final result is okay, only the preview is not updated.

3- weirdness: Preview in the Distort->Ripple plugin When "Retain Tilability" is checked, changing the "edges" options (or is it called "borders") from smear to wrap to black and so on will result in different previews while the final result is the same (which is correct). However, one can argue that there is no sense to change this setting when Retain tilabitity is ckecked. So I do not open any bug report for it.

I have an additional question: I have noticed that the GFlare plugin has different window decorations that the other plugins on my machine. Using xprop, I have not found differences in the windows. Any clue? (Enlightenment 0.16.6 as window manager).

I do not see major bugs in the 2.1.6 on the path to 2.2, with the exeption of the GTKUIManager-related stuff.

Regards,

Olivier.

Sven Neumann
2004-10-08 19:57:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

I have an additional question: I have noticed that the GFlare plugin has different window decorations that the other plugins on my machine. Using xprop, I have not found differences in the windows. Any clue? (Enlightenment 0.16.6 as window manager).

GFlare uses a GimpDialog like all other plug-ins and at least on my box it shows the same window decorations like all other plug-ins.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-10-08 20:29:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

2- The new minor bug: preview in Glass Effects -> Apply lens: When the "Preview" checkbox is checked, toggleing the radio buttons "Keep original surroundings" and "Set surrounding to background color" does not change the preview. To have an updated preview, one needs either to uncheck and recheck the "Preview" checkbox or to change the refractive index value. However, the final result is okay, only the preview is not updated.

Now fixed in CVS. Thanks for noticing.

3- weirdness: Preview in the Distort->Ripple plugin When "Retain Tilability" is checked, changing the "edges" options (or is it called "borders") from smear to wrap to black and so on will result in different previews while the final result is the same (which is correct). However, one can argue that there is no sense to change this setting when Retain tilabitity is ckecked. So I do not open any bug report for it.

Ditto.

Sven

olivier ripoll
2004-10-11 09:50:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

So here is another "bug candidate" (i.e. I do not know if it qualifies as a bug, and it could be on my machine only). It is again a minor one anyway, so could be postponed for 2.4 (3.0?):

When using the render plugins (any render plugin), try the following: start with a blank image. apply a render plugin. undo (-> back to the blank image). repeat the filter (ctrl-f). All of the plugin will regenerate the same image (which is fine). All except IFS compose. It does nothing. "Reshow2 will work, but not "repeat".

However, on my window Gimp 2.0.3, it works ok, so maybe it is only a problem of my configuration (Linux Mandrake 10.0, gtk 2.4.x I do not remember x, but it is superior to the requirements, it is 6 or 9 I think).

Regards,

Olivier.

Sven Neumann
2004-10-11 10:57:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

When using the render plugins (any render plugin), try the following: start with a blank image. apply a render plugin. undo (-> back to the blank image). repeat the filter (ctrl-f). All of the plugin will regenerate the same image (which is fine). All except IFS compose. It does nothing. "Reshow2 will work, but not "repeat".

I cannot reproduce this here. IFS Compose does correctly repeat with the last used settings.

Sven

olivier ripoll
2004-10-12 09:16:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

olivier ripoll writes:

I cannot reproduce this here. IFS Compose does correctly repeat with the last used settings.

Sven

It must be something related to my libraries or my compiler. I have the very same effect on my Gimp 2.0.5 but not on my Gimp 1.2, which is the only one I did not compile.

Sorry for the false positive,

Olivier.