RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tif Files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tif Files charneys 18 Apr 15:31
  Tif Files Michael Schumacher 18 Apr 19:59
  Tif Files Liam R. E. Quin 18 Apr 21:18
   Tif Files Partha Bagchi 18 Apr 22:26
   Tif Files Michael Schumacher 18 Apr 22:42
    Tif Files Steve Kinney 19 Apr 01:30
2015-04-18 15:31:27 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

Tif Files

I am new to GIMP and using version 2.8.14 on a Mac with Yosemite. If I want to convert an image to a tif file I use Save or Save as but do not get the tif option. If I go to Export, tif is an option. However when I use the tif option it saves the file as a png and NOT as a tif. Help! Could you respond directly to me at charneys@hotmail.com Thank you.

Michael Schumacher
2015-04-18 19:59:49 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Tif Files

On 04/18/2015 05:31 PM, charneys wrote:

I am new to GIMP and using version 2.8.14 on a Mac with Yosemite. If I want to convert an image to a tif file I use Save or Save as but do not get the tif option. If I go to Export, tif is an option. However when I use the tif option it saves the file as a png and NOT as a tif. Help!

TIFF and all the other non-GIMP file formats are done via Export.

The usual way to do this is to invoke the Export Image dialog and type the file name and the file name extension of the format you want to use, e.g. image.tif

For the default cases, you will not have to use use any format selector drop-down at all - those come into play if you need to force a file type but have to use a file name extension that would imply a different one.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Liam R. E. Quin
2015-04-18 21:18:46 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Tif Files

On Sat, 2015-04-18 at 17:31 +0200, charneys wrote:

I am new to GIMP and using version 2.8.14 on a Mac with Yosemite. If I want to
convert an image to a tif file I use Save or Save as but do not get the tif
option. If I go to Export, tif is an option. However when I use the tif option
it saves the file as a png and NOT as a tif.

Export is correct.

How did you determine that you ended up with a PNG file?

In Terminal you can try running the "file" command on it to see, e.g. file my-left-foot.tif
(the last few letters of the filename, ".tif" here, can be anything, and do not determine whether a file contains a TIFF or JPEG or PNG image)

Help! Could you respond directly to me at charneys@hotmail.com
Thank you.

(I think I can't sent mail to hotmail users from this account, hmm)

Liam

Partha Bagchi
2015-04-18 22:26:01 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Tif Files

He probably determined that it's a PNG file since GIMP automatically defaults to PNG during export?

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

I am new to GIMP and using version 2.8.14 on a Mac with Yosemite. If I want to
convert an image to a tif file I use Save or Save as but do not get the tif
option. If I go to Export, tif is an option. However when I use the tif option
it saves the file as a png and NOT as a tif.

Export is correct.

In Terminal you can try running the "file" command on it to see, e.g. file my-left-foot.tif
(the last few letters of the filename, ".tif" here, can be anything, and do not determine whether a file contains a TIFF or JPEG or PNG image)

Help! Could you respond directly to me at charneys@hotmail.com
Thank you.

(I think I can't sent mail to hotmail users from this account, hmm)

Liam

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Michael Schumacher
2015-04-18 22:42:41 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Tif Files

On 04/18/2015 11:18 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:

If I go to Export, tif is an option. However when I use the tif option it saves the file as a png and NOT as a tif.

Export is correct.

Some people mistake the file type filter for a file type selector - because many other applications force users to use those to choose the type of the exported file, instead of letting them just type the full file name including the extension.

If you use the type filter, then you will still export by file extension (GIMP's default behavior).

If you use the actual file type selector, then the file extension in the Name: entry will actually be changed accordingly.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Steve Kinney
2015-04-19 01:30:19 UTC (almost 9 years ago)

Tif Files

On 04/18/2015 06:42 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

If you use the actual file type selector, then the file extension in the Name: entry will actually be changed accordingly.

In practice, doing Export (control+e is your friend) then naming the file with the correct extension tells the GIMP all it needs to know to save the correct file type. The dialog box that opens should present all applicable options for the file extension in the name of the new file.

Seems to work here anyway.

:D

Steve