RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Set radius for curcular text path?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Set radius for curcular text path? AlphaCat 25 Mar 18:37
  It can be done! AlphaCat 25 Mar 21:40
  Set radius for curcular text path? Joao S. O. Bueno 26 Mar 13:33
2015-03-25 18:37:40 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

I use GIMP 2.8.14 in Windows 8.1. I've finally been able to get text to follow a curved path (having happened upon one of the contradictory explanations that actually works), but once the text outline appears along the path, its distance from the path appears to be a random phenomenon. This has worked fine for moderately curved text paths. However, I am trying to get text to follow a concentric circle around a circular object, but the text outline appears impossibly far from the object. I cannot figure out how to control the radius of the concentric text path. Is this possible using the Paths tool, or do I need a script? If that is the case, what script do I need?

Thank you.

2015-03-25 21:40:16 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

It can be done!

Never mind. I have done some more digging and found the script I needed: text-along-path-0.4.py
It is a fine thing.

It can be downloaded from this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-path-tools/files/scripts/

Thank you.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2015-03-26 13:33:11 UTC (about 9 years ago)

If you are trying to use this kind of effect, it is hardly to tell GIMP is the right tool for the job - You should create your text outlines in a vector based program - like Inkscape - for instance,
and paste them in GIMP for pixel based effects, if desired.

There _are_ ways of creating this effect in GIMP, as you found-out for yourself, but adjusting the
created path/text is always cumbersome. In Inkscape it is even possible to live-edit the text along a circle.

On 25 March 2015 at 15:37, AlphaCat wrote:

I use GIMP 2.8.14 in Windows 8.1. I've finally been able to get text to follow a curved path (having happened upon one of the contradictory explanations that actually works), but once the text outline appears along the path, its distance from the path appears to be a random phenomenon. This has worked fine for moderately curved text paths. However, I am trying to get text to follow a concentric circle around a circular object, but the text outline appears impossibly far from the object. I cannot figure out how to control the radius of the concentric text path. Is this possible using the Paths tool, or do I need a script? If that is the case, what script do I need?

Thank you.

-- AlphaCat (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list