RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

white balance question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

white balance question Boisdesdames 18 Mar 20:25
  white balance question Ofnuts 18 Mar 21:01
Boisdesdames
2015-03-18 20:25:53 UTC (about 9 years ago)

white balance question

Hi,

I have a question about the automatic white balance tool applied to a portion of a picture (in my case, scans of negative pictures). The tool "Colors -> Auto -> White Balance" gives good results most of the time. But when the image has strong contrast (for example winter pictures in the snow), the result is not that good. If I select a portion of the picture (rectangular selection tool for example) and apply the automatic white balance, the result is better but is only applied to the selected region of the picture. Is there a way to apply these settings to the whole picture ?

Patrick

Ofnuts
2015-03-18 21:01:56 UTC (about 9 years ago)

white balance question

On 18/03/15 21:25, Boisdesdames wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the automatic white balance tool applied to a portion of a picture (in my case, scans of negative pictures). The tool "Colors -> Auto -> White Balance" gives good results most of the time. But when the image has strong contrast (for example winter pictures in the snow), the result is not that good. If I select a portion of the picture (rectangular selection tool for example) and apply the automatic white balance, the result is better but is only applied to the selected region of the picture. Is there a way to apply these settings to the whole picture ?

If you are scanning negatives, there are more accurate techniques. This one works quite well:

http://old.macedition.com/feat/film/feat_film_20030626.php

In Gimp you have to use Levels instead of Curves to get the color pickers. And you can save the settings to reuse them on other scans from the same film.