RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tired of losing images due to "exporting" instead of saving as png/jpg.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Bodo Eggert
2015-02-20 00:00:45 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Dear list,

first I need to grumble about the only-xcf-is-saving-misfeature. I rarely have images where I need layers or other data, and even if I do, I'll be warned. But I have to "export" it instead, and that leaves me with no way to tell weather I'll lose my work by closing an image window - and thus, I just had to redo a scan.

I have absolutely no need to keep additional .xcf-files around or a possibility to use them. Having a .jpg/png to use and a .xcf for keeping the "I have saved"-flag is a burden, and even if I started doing it, I know I'd someday forget to export and use an outdated .jpg instead of the corrected version.

I'm planning to fix it - by going back to 2.6 if I must. I'd prefer to have a patch for 2.8 or a patched version that can safe .jpg files, therefore I'd like to know weather somebody has done this.

Sorry for being in a bad mood.

John McCormack
2015-02-20 01:20:59 UTC (about 9 years ago)

There is the "Overwrite" option. Would this serve your purpose? On 20 Feb 2015 00:01, "Bodo Eggert" wrote:

Dear list,

first I need to grumble about the only-xcf-is-saving-misfeature. I rarely have images where I need layers or other data, and even if I do, I'll be warned. But I have to "export" it instead, and that leaves me with no way to tell weather I'll lose my work by closing an image window - and thus, I just had to redo a scan.

I have absolutely no need to keep additional .xcf-files around or a possibility to use them. Having a .jpg/png to use and a .xcf for keeping the "I have saved"-flag is a burden, and even if I started doing it, I know I'd someday forget to export and use an outdated .jpg instead of the corrected version.

I'm planning to fix it - by going back to 2.6 if I must. I'd prefer to have a patch for 2.8 or a patched version that can safe .jpg files, therefore I'd like to know weather somebody has done this.

Sorry for being in a bad mood. _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Bob Long
2015-02-20 05:59:53 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Bodo Eggert wrote on 20/02/15 10:00:

I don't understand why you would have had to redo a scan. If you are not sure if you did an export, couldn't you just re-export the image?

Anyway, try:

http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

Bob Long
Liam R E Quin
2015-02-22 00:25:00 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 01:00:45 +0100 "Bodo Eggert" wrote:

Dear list,

Actually, at least with the latest unstable (2.9) this has been partly addressed: if you close an image that has been exported (and not changed since), the warning tells you it has been exported.

There's still no other way to find out, as far as I can tell, whether the image in its current state has been exported, and I do sometimes lose work over this too.

I have absolutely no need to keep additional .xcf-files around or a possibility to use them.

Same here for the most part. I scan an image directly into gimp and export to png.

But I have just trained myself to use export instead of save, and it's fine. The down side is I sometimes forget to save images in xcf format if they have layers.

Sorry for being in a bad mood.

No shoes for you for 24 hours :)

Yes, there's a plugin that changes gimp so that you can save as jpeg, I think.

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/