RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0. Jenny Drake 27 Sep 22:49
  Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0. Carol Spears 27 Sep 22:56
  Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0. Sven Neumann 27 Sep 23:01
Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0 Jenny Drake 27 Sep 23:58
Jenny Drake
2004-09-27 22:49:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0.

I have a need to sometimes change the colour of a sky on a picture while leaving the clouds unchanged.
In gimp 1.2 I do this by using the Decompose to Hue, Saturation and Value function, then taking the Saturation, inverting the black to white values and copying and pasting this to a layer mask on the original image. This set the blue saturated clear sky to varying degrees of transparency, depending on how deep the blue was, leaving the monochrome clouds unchanged. A layer could then be placed behind with the desired sky colour.

I now have Gimp 2.0 installed, but have not found a way of getting the same results. There doesn't appear to be anything that can turn a picture into a grey scale based on colour saturation. Is there a way of doing this, or another way of changing just the sky colour? I'm currently using the vastly superior version 2.0 for everything, except this one task where I have to revert to 1.2.

Ta very much, Jen

Carol Spears
2004-09-27 22:56:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 09:49:43PM +0100, Jenny Drake wrote:

I have a need to sometimes change the colour of a sky on a picture while leaving the clouds unchanged.
In gimp 1.2 I do this by using the Decompose to Hue, Saturation and Value function, then taking the Saturation, inverting the black to white values and copying and pasting this to a layer mask on the original image. This set the blue saturated clear sky to varying degrees of transparency, depending on how deep the blue was, leaving the monochrome clouds unchanged. A layer could then be placed behind with the desired sky colour.

I now have Gimp 2.0 installed, but have not found a way of getting the same results. There doesn't appear to be anything that can turn a picture into a grey scale based on colour saturation. Is there a way of doing this, or another way of changing just the sky colour? I'm currently using the vastly superior version 2.0 for everything, except this one task where I have to revert to 1.2.

decompose has a new location; and everything else should work the same.

decompose is now located at -->Filters -->Colors -->Decompose

things have moved around some, it took me a while to get used to this. the changes make some sense, if you think about them. most of the changes are made between the Image menu and Layers Menu with a few things that are now located in Filters.

gimp2 also has a new way to locate plug-ins. Xtns -->Plug-in Details. this should be helpful in finding the location of the old stuff in the new gimp.

i hope this resolves your problem,

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-09-27 23:01:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Jenny Drake writes:

I have a need to sometimes change the colour of a sky on a picture while leaving the clouds unchanged. In gimp 1.2 I do this by using the Decompose to Hue, Saturation and Value function, then taking the Saturation, inverting the black to white values and copying and pasting this to a layer mask on the original image. This set the blue saturated clear sky to varying degrees of transparency, depending on how deep the blue was, leaving the monochrome clouds unchanged. A layer could then be placed behind with the desired sky colour.

I now have Gimp 2.0 installed, but have not found a way of getting the same results.

The same technique should work here as well. Compose/Decompose are found in the Filters->Colors menu.

Sven

Jenny Drake
2004-09-27 23:58:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Changing sky colour in Gimp 2.0

Thanks Carol and Sven for the quick replies and spot on solutions for my problem.

Jenny

decompose has a new location; and everything else should work the same.

decompose is now located at -->Filters -->Colors -->Decompose

things have moved around some, it took me a while to get used to this. the changes make some sense, if you think about them. most of the changes are made between the Image menu and Layers Menu with a few things that are now located in Filters.

gimp2 also has a new way to locate plug-ins. Xtns -->Plug-in Details. this should be helpful in finding the location of the old stuff in the new gimp.