RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

CloneLayer Tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

CloneLayer Tool atomsmashed 24 Jan 01:38
  CloneLayer Tool Owen Cook 24 Jan 10:10
   CloneLayer Tool atomsmashed 24 Jan 11:38
    CloneLayer Tool Ofnuts 25 Jan 14:42
     CloneLayer Tool atomsmashed 29 Jan 13:05
  CloneLayer Tool rich 27 Jan 09:30
   CloneLayer Tool atomsmashed 29 Jan 13:22
2015-01-24 01:38:12 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

CloneLayer Tool

Hi, new Gimp user here, I'm having a problem installing this plug-in and need some help please.

The plug-in is here: http://registry.gimp.org/node/25422

I'm running Debian XFCE inside an Android tablet and using Gimp 2.8. (Installed from Google Play Store)

The Plug-in doesn't state it runs in Gimp 2.8, so am wondering if that is an issue?

I downloaded the binary, used 7zip to extract the file and placed that in the plug-ins folder but it does not show up in the menu, am I missing something?

If it isn't compatible, or with how Gimp is running on XFCE, I could really do with pointers to another way to achieve similar functions please.

I need to duplicate a layer 360 times and rotate it 1° each layer to form a ring/circle of text for animation, is there an alternative to this plug in event of not being able to install it at all?

Thanks, Craig Atomsmashed

Owen Cook
2015-01-24 10:10:38 UTC (about 9 years ago)

CloneLayer Tool

Did you make the plugin executable?

Gimp-2.7 was the development version of 2.8 and so work

Owen

Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 12:38 PM From: atomsmashed
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Cc: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] CloneLayer Tool

Hi, new Gimp user here, I'm having a problem installing this plug-in and need some help please.

I'm running Debian XFCE inside an Android tablet and using Gimp 2.8. (Installed from Google Play Store)

The Plug-in doesn't state it runs in Gimp 2.8, so am wondering if that is an issue?

I downloaded the binary, used 7zip to extract the file and placed that in the plug-ins folder but it does not show up in the menu, am I missing something?

If it isn't compatible, or with how Gimp is running on XFCE, I could really do with pointers to another way to achieve similar functions please.

I need to duplicate a layer 360 times and rotate it 1° each layer to form a ring/circle of text for animation, is there an alternative to this plug in event of not being able to install it at all?

--
atomsmashed (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2015-01-24 11:38:39 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

CloneLayer Tool

Owen

Thanks for the reply Owen... Umm, no... But I *think* I tried...

I ended up just extracting it with an archive app on the Android OS after spending a while trying... Did I mention I've never actually really used Linux before?!

I did try to use 'apt-get install gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar' from the xterm set to the plug-ins folder but got an error:

Rading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar E: Couldn't find package by regex 'gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar

Not sure what else to try at this point?

Ofnuts
2015-01-25 14:42:13 UTC (about 9 years ago)

CloneLayer Tool

On 24/01/15 12:38, atomsmashed wrote:

Owen

Thanks for the reply Owen... Umm, no... But I *think* I tried...

I ended up just extracting it with an archive app on the Android OS after spending a while trying... Did I mention I've never actually really used Linux before?!

I did try to use 'apt-get install gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar' from the xterm set to the plug-ins folder but got an error:

Rading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar E: Couldn't find package by regex 'gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar

Not sure what else to try at this point?

The "packages" handled by apt-get have a .deb extension. The .tar is just a file that carries several files together (a like ZIP/RAR, but without compression by default), and not a "package" in the installer sense. To install the thing in Gimp you would do:

- tar -xvf gimp-clt-v0.2b-bin.tar (if this doesn't work, try replaceing -xvf by -xvzf)
- move the executable to your gimp plug-ins directory (~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins)

Word of caution: rotating things always introduces some light blur, so always rotate from the original position, increasing the angle. If you are working with text, you will get cleaner results by obtaining a path from the text layer (Layer>Text to path), rotating the path, and using the path to create a selection that is then filled.

rich
2015-01-27 09:30:22 UTC (about 9 years ago)

CloneLayer Tool

atomsmashed gimpusers.com> writes:

Hi, new Gimp user here, I'm having a problem installing this plug-in and

need

some help please.

I'm running Debian XFCE inside an Android tablet and using Gimp 2.8.

(Installed

from Google Play Store)

The Plug-in doesn't state it runs in Gimp 2.8, so am wondering if that is

an

issue?

I downloaded the binary, used 7zip to extract the file and placed that in

the

plug-ins folder but it does not show up in the menu, am I missing

something?

If it isn't compatible, or with how Gimp is running on XFCE, I could

really do

with pointers to another way to achieve similar functions please.

I need to duplicate a layer 360 times and rotate it 1° each layer to form

a

ring/circle of text for animation, is there an alternative to this plug

in event

of not being able to install it at all?

Remember the installation - Android.

I tried out the Gimp+Inkscape installation in an Asus TF101 (lived up to a terrible reputation for reliably and died a couple of weeks ago)

GIMP is in an Ubuntu with a XFCE DE working in a virtual private network.

I never did find out where it was installed, I think that the android device has to be 'rooted' to reach the installation. I have a note that for fonts this is the place
Android/data/org.gimp.inkscape/files/gimp/fonts Presumably replace 'fonts' with 'plug-ins'

The tools that come with android are less than wonderful, everything is dumbed down.
Recommend a decent file manager TotalCommander which will also unpack those TapeArchive (tar) files.

Here in linux, that file 'gimp-clt-v0.2-bin.tar' unpacks to clone-layer- tool with permissions already set, so maybe one hurdle out of the way.

2015-01-29 13:05:34 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

CloneLayer Tool

Ah... Heh, thank you for the 'Amtomsmashed - You are a plonker's guide to this!

While things are more clear, I plainly need to read up more info regarding XFCE.

I can't quite get it to unpack due to a funny error that I think I'm gonna have to get my hands dirty to figure out, shall post back with findings! Cheers Ofnuts!112

2015-01-29 13:22:49 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

CloneLayer Tool

Thanks for the info Rich. Aye, took a while to figure out the install path, many cups of tea went cold haha!

I have rooted my Note, any Andoid device is useless without, so it's weird that this isn't going a bit smoother (It's not really, I'm just a tad thick...)

The location you pointed out is spot on, I can use ES Explorer on Android side to dig in to all off the folders, and also get to them from within the XCE... Umm, thingtop/desktop/virtual doodah, using the Xterm terminal by using CD u0 a391, then CD /sdcard then adding in the rest of the location you pointed to.

Something is still amiss though, upon unpacking as yourself and Ofnuts describe, I get an error relating to not being able to set permissions, and something to do with root. I tried unpacking with SU or SUDO but then get errors about bash unknown command or somsthing (Tab battery flat, can't recall without looking...) so still got errors that I'm trying to work out, slowly...

Will try get this figured, somehow, I refuse to duplicate and rotate 360 layers manually, I WILL cut my nose off to spite my face lol! I'll post any progress for this, cheers52