RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The return of scaling + dpi question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The return of scaling + dpi question Barton Bosch 27 Sep 07:20
  The return of scaling + dpi question Sven Neumann 27 Sep 11:09
Barton Bosch
2004-09-27 07:20:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

A while back I asked about changing the dpi setting when scaling an image. I may have forgotten to mention that the actual images are scanned documents.

They were scanned at 1200 spi therefore dpi was set to 1200x1200. In this case the dpi figure refers to a real world sample as opposed to just being an arbitrary spec as in the case of a purely digital image.

Would changing the dpi setting in the same ratio as the screen size lessen or elimnate interpolation blur? E.g., when scaling a 1200 spi/dpi image from 10 inches to 1 inch would it be any use to change the dpi to 12000?

Barton

Sven Neumann
2004-09-27 11:09:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

A while back I asked about changing the dpi setting when scaling an image. I may have forgotten to mention that the actual images are scanned documents.

They were scanned at 1200 spi therefore dpi was set to 1200x1200. In this case the dpi figure refers to a real world sample as opposed to just being an arbitrary spec as in the case of a purely digital image.

Would changing the dpi setting in the same ratio as the screen size lessen or elimnate interpolation blur? E.g., when scaling a 1200 spi/dpi image from 10 inches to 1 inch would it be any use to change the dpi to 12000?

No. The resolution doesn't affect the pixel data.

Sven