RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text Problem on New Instal

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text Problem on New Instal Lougha 19 Dec 22:18
  Text Problem on New Instal Gary Aitken 21 Dec 05:05
   Text Problem on New Instal Lougha 29 Dec 15:25
    Text Problem on New Instal Ofnuts 30 Dec 01:12
2014-12-19 22:18:19 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

I've been using Gimp on an older Mac for a while, but recently bought a new computer - MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, running Yosemite 10.10.1.

I loaded Gimp 2.8.14

When I try to work on a file, the fonts are all heavily pixelated.

The attached screen-shot is a new file, 300 dpi, 8x5 inches. The view is 100%.

All font's appear this way, even when I try to export the image as a JPG. the preview buttons also appear very fuzzy when I pull up the font menu.

Any ideas?

Gary Aitken
2014-12-21 05:05:49 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 12/19/14 15:18, Lougha wrote:

I've been using Gimp on an older Mac for a while, but recently bought a new computer - MacBook Pro Retina, 13-inch, running Yosemite 10.10.1.

I loaded Gimp 2.8.14

When I try to work on a file, the fonts are all heavily pixelated.

The attached screen-shot is a new file, 300 dpi, 8x5 inches. The view is 100%.

All font's appear this way, even when I try to export the image as a JPG. the preview buttons also appear very fuzzy when I pull up the font menu.

Any ideas?

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/179/original/Fuzzy_Fonts.tiff

This looks to me like the normal anti-aliasing that you get by default, although it's a bit difficult to tell because the Calibri font is not on my fbsd system. It you want a sharp transition from black to white, deselect the anti-aliasing box in the font tool.

What exactly do you mean by pixelated? All text will appear pixelated if enlarged, which this image has been. What are you expecting it to look like?

The font box above the text indicates a size of 100 pts, which that text clearly is not -- assuming the rulers are set in inches. The font tool on the left says 18 pt, which it appears to match better.

Can you post an image made with the "Sans" font, and post the image itself, not a screen shot?

The one thing which looks strange to me is that letters such as 'i', which in some fonts such as "Sans" has solely vertical and horizontal lines, appears anti-aliased. Since I don't have the Calibri font I'm not sure what it *should* look like. In the "Sans" font an "i" has sharp transitions from black to white, even with anti-aliasing on.

Exporting to jpeg will never improve pixelation issues. In general, converting to jpeg will soften transitions.

Gary

2014-12-29 15:25:03 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

This looks to me like the normal anti-aliasing that you get by default,
although it's a bit difficult to tell because the Calibri font is not on my fbsd system. It you want a sharp transition from black to white,
deselect the anti-aliasing box in the font tool.

What exactly do you mean by pixelated? All text will appear pixelated if enlarged, which this image has been. What are you expecting it to look like?

The font box above the text indicates a size of 100 pts, which that text clearly is not -- assuming the rulers are set in inches.
The font tool on the left says 18 pt, which it appears to match better.

Can you post an image made with the "Sans" font, and post the image itself,
not a screen shot?

The one thing which looks strange to me is that letters such as 'i', which
in some fonts such as "Sans" has solely vertical and horizontal lines, appears anti-aliased. Since I don't have the Calibri font I'm not sure what
it *should* look like. In the "Sans" font an "i" has sharp transitions from
black to white, even with anti-aliasing on.

Exporting to jpeg will never improve pixelation issues. In general, converting to jpeg will soften transitions.

Gary

Thanks Gary. Sorry for the layover on getting back on this. After checking the things you suggested, I'm thinking my problem might be in how viewing/measurements is set up. A 640x400 workspace, set to view at 100% is taking up almost the whole screen. And it's showing a 12 pt font to be enormous. I'll dig into those settings later today and report back if I find anything that might be an east solution. Thanks again.

Ofnuts
2014-12-30 01:12:21 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 29/12/14 16:25, Lougha wrote:

Thanks Gary. Sorry for the layover on getting back on this. After checking the things you suggested, I'm thinking my problem might be in how viewing/measurements is set up. A 640x400 workspace, set to view at 100% is taking up almost the whole screen. And it's showing a 12 pt font to be enormous. I'll dig into those settings later today and report back if I find anything that might be an east solution. Thanks again.

If a 640x400 canavas at 100% is taking almost the whole screen, you have a very ancient screen (800x600, or even 1024x768...)(is that a CRT?). If you have a moderately recent LCD display (10 years or less) make sure you are working at its native resolution (which is usually the maximum resolution you'll be able to choose in the list).