RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

user experience - buggish

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

user experience - buggish Mark Ballard 19 Dec 11:55
  user experience - buggish Alexandre Prokoudine 19 Dec 12:23
  user experience - buggish Bob Long 19 Dec 12:32
Mark Ballard
2014-12-19 11:55:08 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Hello Gimp

I like your software very much. I use it quite often.

But I have a problem to report. I hope you listen and don't look down snootily on whinging users.

Problem:

image scaling / moving / canvas size

Action: Opened a png + changed zoom from 65% (which it was set at) to 100%. Result: Image increased in scale but it became too big for the visible window and some disappeard off the side.

Action: I increased the window breadth so I could see the part of the image that was missing off the side.
Result: Window increased in size, but image stayed in the same place, with half of it still missing off the left side. The right side, increased by my enlargening of the window, just filled with whitespace. I couldn't shift the image to where I could see it because there was no scroll bar at the bottom.

Action: I selected the move tool (this is hard to find, btw, in the transform menu - it would imho be better standing alone in the main tool menu), and attempted to move the image to where I could see it. Result: The image moved but its canvas didn't. So while what was lost off the left shifted into view, what could be seen on the right disappeared off its own edge in concert.

I'm sure there's a good reason for this. And I'm sure there's a way to correct it. But it is apparenlty not straightforward or intuitive.

I hope this helps

Mark Ballard.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-12-19 12:23:03 UTC (about 9 years ago)

On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Mark Ballard wrote:

Action: Opened a png + changed zoom from 65% (which it was set at) to 100%. Result: Image increased in scale but it became too big for the visible window and some disappeard off the side.

What is the expected result? Or are you describing a sequence of actions?

Action: I increased the window breadth so I could see the part of the image that was missing off the side.
Result: Window increased in size, but image stayed in the same place, with half of it still missing off the left side. The right side, increased by my enlargening of the window, just filled with whitespace. I couldn't shift the image to where I could see it because there was no scroll bar at the bottom.

Scroll bar is enabled by default. Perhaps it should automatically appear when canvas doesn't fit the viewport. Is that what you expect GIMP to do?

Action: I selected the move tool (this is hard to find, btw, in the transform menu - it would imho be better standing alone in the main tool menu), and attempted to move the image to where I could see it. Result: The image moved but its canvas didn't. So while what was lost off the left shifted into view, what could be seen on the right disappeared off its own edge in concert.

You expect the Move tool to do panning. This is simply not what the tool is designed to do :)

Please use either of the two actions to pan:

1) Press spacebar and move your mouse around without clicking its buttons. 2) Press scroll wheel of your mouse and drag the mouse around.

Alex

Bob Long
2014-12-19 12:32:09 UTC (about 9 years ago)

Mark Ballard wrote on 19/12/14 21:55:

Hello Gimp

I like your software very much. I use it quite often.

But I have a problem to report. I hope you listen and don't look down snootily on whinging users.

Problem:

image scaling / moving / canvas size

See if the Edit|Preferences|Image Windows|"Resize window on zoom" and "Resize window on image size change" settings help.

Bob Long

> Action: I increased the window breadth so I could see the part of the image
> that was missing off the side.
> Result: Window increased in size, but image stayed in the same place, with
> half of it still missing off the left side. The right side, increased by my
> enlargening of the window, just filled with whitespace. I couldn't shift
> the image to where I could see it because there was no scroll bar at the
> bottom.
> 
> Action: I selected the move tool (this is hard to find, btw, in the
> transform menu - it would imho be better standing alone in the main tool
> menu), and attempted to move the image to where I could see it.
> Result: The image moved but its canvas didn't. So while what was lost off
> the left shifted into view, what could be seen on the right disappeared off
> its own edge in concert.
> 
> I'm sure there's a good reason for this. And I'm sure there's a way to
> correct it. But it is apparenlty not straightforward or intuitive.
> 
> I hope this helps
> 
> Mark Ballard.
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>