RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting from Indexed to RGB without smoothing the edges

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Converting from Indexed to RGB without smoothing the edges Alessandro Francesconi 05 Nov 09:36
  Converting from Indexed to RGB without smoothing the edges Michael Schumacher 05 Nov 09:56
Alessandro Francesconi
2014-11-05 09:36:01 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Don't know if it's a bug or a feature.... but I need an explanation about this behavior: I have a small icon with an indexed color palette: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/9453825/4901180/1d1cd216-642f-11e4-97db-4f3a76ffdd7c.png
You see, the edges of the icon are very sharp... but if I convert it to RGB using the "Change mode" menu, the edges become smooth. I don't want this to happen but the "gimp-image-convert-rgb" procedure doesn't take any option or parameter for this.

Why does GIMP automatically smooth the edges when changing to RGB? Thank you!

Ale

Michael Schumacher
2014-11-05 09:56:43 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Von: "Alessandro Francesconi"

Don't know if it's a bug or a feature.... but I need an explanation about this behavior: I have a small icon with an indexed color palette: https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/9453825/4901180/1d1cd216-642f-11e4-97db-4f3a76ffdd7c.png
You see, the edges of the icon are very sharp...

Actually, that is the bug in GIMP:

The image uses an indexed palette and an alpha channel. In GIMP 2.8, this limits the alpha to binary, i.e. fully opaque or fully transparent. If you look at the image in other application, it is smooth there already.

Why does GIMP automatically smooth the edges when changing to RGB?

When you change the mode to RGB, the alpha channel is displayed as it is supposed to be.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD