RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

About .tpl archive reverse engineering

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

About .tpl archive reverse engineering Liz Souto 04 Nov 11:21
  About .tpl archive reverse engineering Alexandre Prokoudine 04 Nov 11:49
Liz Souto
2014-11-04 11:21:28 UTC (over 9 years ago)

​Hello again!
I'd like to know in what computer language has to be written a reverse engineering for running .tpl archives in GIMP. My husband is a computer programmer and maybe he can help.
Any details about this that I can talk to him would be appreciated. I can't wait to use some .tpl brushes in my drawings! Thanks!!!!
Thanks a lot!
Liz​

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 06:22:41 +0400 From:
​​
Alexandre Prokoudine
To: "gimp-user-list@gnome.org"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] .TPL plugin in GIMP Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Liz Souto wrote:

Hi!
I'm new to this group, and I'd like to know if there is any news for a plugin in GIMP to run .tpl archives (Photoshop Brush Presets). Thanks!

Hi Liz,

As far as I can tell, there is no such plugin, and it will be difficult to make this happen (although doable).

1) Some Photoshop features won't map to GIMP's features: different tools' options, slightly different brush engine, Photoshop's brush dynamics not supported in the existing .abr loader.

2) Someone needs to actually sit down and write the code (reverse-engineering the .tpl file format should not be a problem).

Alex

------------------------------

Subject: Digest Footer

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

------------------------------

End of gimp-user-list Digest, Vol 37, Issue 25 **********************************************

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-11-04 11:49:17 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Liz Souto wrote:

Hello again!
I'd like to know in what computer language has to be written a reverse engineering for running .tpl archives in GIMP. My husband is a computer programmer and maybe he can help.
Any details about this that I can talk to him would be appreciated. I can't wait to use some .tpl brushes in my drawings!

Hi Liz,

GIMP is written in C, but importing .tpl files can most likely be written in Python too.

Please note that .tpl is more than just a way to pack brushes, so one would have to write the code to:

1. Read a .tpl file.

2. Extract tool presets and save them in GIMP's file format to GIMP's folder for tool presets. Here's an example of such a file:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/data/tool-presets/Paint/Bristles.gtp

3. Extract brushes and save them in whatever file format is easier to save as (could be Photoshop's ABR), to GIMP's folder for brushes.

If your husband has any particular questions regarding development, it might be a good idea to drop by at IRC:

http://www.gimp.org/irc.html

Alex