RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Color shift when opening TIFF?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Color shift when opening TIFF? Keith Purtell 23 Oct 19:31
  Color shift when opening TIFF? Gary Aitken 24 Oct 04:27
   Color shift when opening TIFF? Keith Purtell 24 Oct 14:15
    Color shift when opening TIFF? Keith Purtell 24 Oct 16:48
Keith Purtell
2014-10-23 19:31:38 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I've been using GIMP for several years to (among other things) open TIFF files, edit, export into Acrobat Pro to create a PDF. Today I took a client PDF and saved it as high-res TIFF, fixed a problem, exported the revised TIFF and converted to PDF. I do this often.

It wasn't until I got to looking at the new PDF that I noticed a big color shift in one section. There's a pale green box with darker forest-green text inside. Both shades of green looked like the saturation had been pumped way up. I backtracked, and finally realized this color shift was happening the instant GIMP opened the TIFF.

Just to be clear, this is not a buggy TIFF from outside. I made it myself by take a normal PDF and using the Save-as-Image function. This didn't happen with the other three images from the same project. Experimenting with Mode made no difference.

Ideas?

Keith Purtell

Gary Aitken
2014-10-24 04:27:09 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 10/23/14 13:31, Keith Purtell wrote:

I've been using GIMP for several years to (among other things) open TIFF files, edit, export into Acrobat Pro to create a PDF. Today I took a client PDF and saved it as high-res TIFF, fixed a problem, exported the revised TIFF and converted to PDF. I do this often.

It wasn't until I got to looking at the new PDF that I noticed a big color shift in one section. There's a pale green box with darker forest-green text inside. Both shades of green looked like the saturation had been pumped way up. I backtracked, and finally realized this color shift was happening the instant GIMP opened the TIFF.

Just to be clear, this is not a buggy TIFF from outside. I made it myself by take a normal PDF and using the Save-as-Image function. This didn't happen with the other three images from the same project. Experimenting with Mode made no difference.

Ideas?

I'm not certain, but my guess is the tiff file has an embedded color profile other than whatever your gimp is set to, and the conversion option is set to auto-convert without asking questions.

Open Edit/Preferences/Color Management and check what "RGB profile" is set to and what "File Open behaviour" is set to.

Gary

Keith Purtell
2014-10-24 14:15:11 UTC (over 9 years ago)

The first option was neutral, but file open was set to convert to RGB workspace. I changed that to "ask" Then I used GIMP to open this problem tiff. Same thing. Truly bizarre.

The following is a screen capture (Windows Photo Viewer at top, GIMP below). By the way, the Photo Viewer version reflects how the image appears in all non-GIMP settings.

http://i.imgur.com/jbja6QE.png

Keith Purtell

Keith Purtell
2014-10-24 16:48:50 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I think what may be going on is that: 1- My Acrobat Pro is not correctly set to convert all CMYK images to RGB on output, and
2-GIMP reportedly has limited CMYK support.

The easy thing here is to fix my Acrobat prefs, yes? I'm in an Internet environment; no use for CMYK.

Keith Purtell