RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to swap image colors

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to swap image colors CoolB 23 Oct 14:40
  How to swap image colors Gary Aitken 23 Oct 16:56
   How to swap image colors CoolB 23 Oct 17:51
    How to swap image colors Jay Smith 23 Oct 17:56
     How to swap image colors Chris Mohler 23 Oct 18:23
      How to swap image colors CoolB 23 Oct 18:57
       How to swap image colors Jay Smith 23 Oct 19:07
        How to swap image colors CoolB 23 Oct 19:27
2014-10-23 14:40:52 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

How to swap image colors

I have a logo that I'd like to swap the colors in. The words are blue and the background is white. I'd like to make the words white and the background blue. How can it with this .png file?

Gary Aitken
2014-10-23 16:56:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)

How to swap image colors

I have a logo that I'd like to swap the colors in. The words are blue and the background is white. I'd like to make the words white and the background blue. How can it with this .png file?

It depends on whether the words are dithered or not. If there are sharp edges and the image really only has two colors, try the following:

Click on the eyedropper (or O (O not 0), then click on the words to make the color of the words the foreground color.

Click on the color tool (or O), then click on the words to select all of the color in the words. Don't use the magic wand, as it only selects colors which are contiguous.

Invert the selection (Select/Invert or I).

Click on the Bucket Fill tool (or B). Look in the tool options to make sure the fill type is "FG color fill".

Click on the background area to turn it the color of the letters. The whole image should now be the same color.

Invert the selection again.

Click in the tool options to change the fill type to "BG color fill". Click on the words to turn them the background color.

If the words are dithered it's more difficult as you need to change all the "in-between" colors to an appropriate "in-between" color.

If you need that let us know and we can go into more detail for that.

2014-10-23 17:51:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

How to swap image colors

It depends on whether the words are dithered or not. If there are sharp edges
and the image really only has two colors, try the following:

Click on the eyedropper (or O (O not 0), then click on the words to make the
color of the words the foreground color.

Click on the color tool (or O), then click on the words to select all
of the color in the words. Don't use the magic wand, as it only selects colors
which are contiguous.

Click on the Bucket Fill tool (or B). Look in the tool options to make sure the fill type is "FG color fill".

Click on the background area to turn it the color of the letters. The whole image should now be the same color.

Click in the tool options to change the fill type to "BG color fill". Click on the words to turn them the background color.

If the words are dithered it's more difficult as you need to change all the
"in-between" colors to an appropriate "in-between" color.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure how to tell whether the words are really dithered or not. There are no sharp edges around them or the logo though that I'm trying to swap the colors on.

Attached is what I'm working on.

Jay Smith
2014-10-23 17:56:13 UTC (over 9 years ago)

How to swap image colors

On 10/23/2014 01:51 PM, CoolB wrote:

It depends on whether the words are dithered or not. If there are sharp edges
and the image really only has two colors, try the following:

Click on the eyedropper (or O (O not 0), then click on the words to make the
color of the words the foreground color.

Click on the color tool (or O), then click on the words to select all
of the color in the words. Don't use the magic wand, as it only selects colors
which are contiguous.

If the words are dithered it's more difficult as you need to change all the
"in-between" colors to an appropriate "in-between" color.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not really sure how to tell whether the words are really dithered or not. There are no sharp edges around them or the logo though that I'm trying to swap the colors on.

Attached is what I'm working on.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/161/original/Image.png

Yes, the letters/logo are dithered. The edges are "fuzzy".

Since this is a very simple text-logo, if you know and can get access to the font used for the original, you could much more easily (and in higher quality and more quickly) recreate by using text in an image program of some sort -- actually probably better in a vector-based program (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.) instead of a bit-map-based program (Gimp, Photoshop, etc.).

Jay

Chris Mohler
2014-10-23 18:23:30 UTC (over 9 years ago)

How to swap image colors

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

Since this is a very simple text-logo, if you know and can get access to the font used for the original, you could much more easily (and in higher quality and more quickly) recreate by using text in an image program of some sort -- actually probably better in a vector-based program (Inkscape, Illustrator, etc.) instead of a bit-map-based program (Gimp, Photoshop, etc.).

The font used is 'Palatino Linotype Bold'.

Chris

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/results?ch%5B0%5D=S&ch%5B1%5D=y&ch%5B2%5D=s&ch%5B3%5D=t&ch%5B4%5D=e&ch%5B5%5D=m&wtfserver=wtf_b_41&id=000a3b05541d8b6d000d097600003046&glyphcount=6&imageid=0&x=66&y=37

2014-10-23 18:57:10 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

How to swap image colors

Chris

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/results?ch%5B0%5D=S&ch%5B1%5D=y&ch%5B2%5D=s&ch%5B3%5D=t&ch%5B4%5D=e&ch%5B5%5D=m&wtfserver=wtf_b_41&id=000a3b05541d8b6d000d097600003046&glyphcount=6&imageid=0&x=66&y=37

Thanks for finding out what font it is. I used the steps mentioned and that worked for the words, but there is a logo to the left that it didn't work for. Also now the word looks crappy, due to an outline.

Jay Smith
2014-10-23 19:07:40 UTC (over 9 years ago)

How to swap image colors

On 10/23/2014 02:57 PM, CoolB wrote:

Chris

Thanks for finding out what font it is. I used the steps mentioned and that worked for the words, but there is a logo to the left that it didn't work for. Also now the word looks crappy, due to an outline.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/162/original/Image2.png

In your sample image, I don't see a "logo to the left". Do you see it when you look at your PNG ?

I don't know why there is an outline in the word. That's not right at all unless that's what the font you used looks like (with an outline in it).

When you create the word, be sure your background is the color you want (I forget whether you want colored letters on white background or the opposite). And be sure you using the opposite color when creating the word. There is no "messing around" beyond that -- in regard to the word. It should be created at the size you want and then not messed with (which means that to create other sizes, you should retain access to your original source of the font). For best quality text, don't later enlarge or shrink, re-create at the needed size (this is where a properly constructed scalable font in a vector-based program is most helpful).

Jay

2014-10-23 19:27:06 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

How to swap image colors

In your sample image, I don't see a "logo to the left". Do you see it when you look at your PNG ?

I don't know why there is an outline in the word. That's not right at all unless that's what the font you used looks like (with an outline in it).

When you create the word, be sure your background is the color you want
(I forget whether you want colored letters on white background or the opposite). And be sure you using the opposite color when creating the word. There is no "messing around" beyond that -- in regard to the word. It should be created at the size you want and then not messed with (which means that to create other sizes, you should retain access to your original source of the font). For best quality text, don't later enlarge or shrink, re-create at the needed size (this is where a properly constructed scalable font in a vector-based program is most helpful).

Jay

Thanks Jay and everyone else, I forgot to add the logo that's to the left in the image before posting. It is weird regarding the outline, I've seen our logo on our main website with a gray background and there is no outline around the letters. This seems to be turning into more work than I thought it would have been. I'll see if there is anyway I can get ahead of the original.