RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Photoshop Brushes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Photoshop Brushes Calvin Spealman 21 Sep 04:39
  Photoshop Brushes Dave Neary 21 Sep 15:00
  Photoshop Brushes Steve Crane 21 Sep 23:13
Photoshop Brushes Linda 21 Sep 12:38
Photoshop Brushes William Skaggs 21 Sep 17:50
Photoshop Brushes Calvin Spealman 22 Sep 12:01
Calvin Spealman
2004-09-21 04:39:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

My wife understands why I prefer to use open software, but doesn't really grok it. Still, she uses the GIMP and doesn't complain too much about things she misses in Photoshop, except for not being able to use all those pretty brushes people post up on Deviant Art.

So, I've embarked on the journey you would think someone would have at least made some progress on by now. I'm not complaining that GIMP can't use PS brushes, just a little surprised there wasn't enough need for this that more work hasn't been done on it so far.

I'm attempting to write a library to read Photoshop brushes, which I intend to use in both a Photoshop-to-GIMP Brush converter and in a plug-in/patch to allow GIMP to use them natively.

I need some help. If any of you have or know of any documentation, perferably on the more recent versions of the format, it would be very much appriciated. I've found some PDFs released by Adobe several years ago, but the format seems to have changed a bit since then. I'm doing my best to figure things out as it is, but progress is slow.

Also, anyone who has Photoshop, if you could e-mail me some simple brushes and tell me the number of brushes in them and their sizes, that could help me, as I would have some kind of reference points to go to in figuring out these headers. Currently, I'm working with brush files I know nothing about, except that they are brushes of "pretty hair". Not very helpful.

All in all, I think its a worthwhile spendage of time, and so anyone willing to lend even a finger, or hell, even an entire hand, would be very welcome and thanked to do so.

Linda
2004-09-21 12:38:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sep 20, 2004 10:39 PM
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Photoshop Brushes

My wife understands why I prefer to use open software, but doesn't really grok it. Still, she uses the GIMP and doesn't complain too much about things she misses in Photoshop, except for not being able to use all those pretty brushes people post up on Deviant Art.

So, I've embarked on the journey you would think someone would have at least made some progress on by now. I'm not complaining that GIMP can't use PS brushes, just a little surprised there wasn't enough need for this that more work hasn't been done on it so far.

I'm attempting to write a library to read Photoshop brushes, which I intend to use in both a Photoshop-to-GIMP Brush converter and in a plug-in/patch to allow GIMP to use them natively.

I need some help. If any of you have or know of any documentation, perferably on the more recent versions of the format, it would be very much appriciated. I've found some PDFs released by Adobe several years ago, but the format seems to have changed a bit since then. I'm doing my best to figure things out as it is, but progress is slow.

Also, anyone who has Photoshop, if you could e-mail me some simple brushes and tell me the number of brushes in them and their sizes, that could help me, as I would have some kind of reference points to go to in figuring out these headers. Currently, I'm working with brush files I know nothing about, except that they are brushes of "pretty hair". Not very helpful.

All in all, I think its a worthwhile spendage of time, and so anyone willing to lend even a finger, or hell, even an entire hand, would be very welcome and thanked to do so.

Dave Neary
2004-09-21 15:00:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

Hi,

Quoting Calvin Spealman :

You'd think that, but after all most of the people who put time into file formats and the like are techies, rather than artists... I don't even use photoshop... although I have twice.

That would be excellent!

Good luck :) Sorry I can't be of more help myself.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

William Skaggs
2004-09-21 17:50:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

Calvin Spealman wrote:

If any of you have or know of any documentation, perferably on the more recent versions of the format, it would be very much appriciated.

You can still find the PhotoShop 6.0 SDK -- the last one that was publically distributed -- at

http://www.fine-view.com/jp/lab/doc/ps6ffspecsv2.pdf

I would be surprised if the brush file specs have changed all that much since then.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Steve Crane
2004-09-21 23:13:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 02:39:25AM +0000, Calvin Spealman wrote:

There is a converter written by Marco Lamberto that can convert some, but not all Photoshop and Paintshop Pro brushes. See the following posts from the archive for more info.

http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2002-February/006478.html http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/2002-December/005263.html

Calvin Spealman
2004-09-22 12:01:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Photoshop Brushes

William Skaggs wrote:

You can still find the PhotoShop 6.0 SDK -- the last one that was publically distributed -- at

http://www.fine-view.com/jp/lab/doc/ps6ffspecsv2.pdf

I would be surprised if the brush file specs have changed all that much since then.

Then be surprised, because I've read that thing a couple times, mostly memorized the format, and the files I'm looking at, brushes created in Photoshop 7, don't match up at all. I can find a few things that are similar, such as their '8BIM' signature near the beginning of the file, but everything is different enough that those specs only help a very small amount.