RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

slow rendering of images

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

slow rendering of images Anthony ODoibhailein 30 Sep 15:04
  slow rendering of images Ofnuts 02 Oct 21:52
Anthony ODoibhailein
2014-09-30 15:04:50 UTC (over 9 years ago)

slow rendering of images

Hello,

I am a new user of GIMP and have been quite impressed with the range of features and usability. However I am working on a large banner and am finding the rendering of the image is extremely slow. I have just upgraded my mac from a powerpc to a 12 core intel machine and am not appreciating a great speed benefit so far due to this slowness of rendering. I appreciate that it may well be down to the setup. I have the RAM set to 10Gb in the GIMP preferences which I had thought sufficient to show an improvement but its not given much of a boost.

Is there anything ~I should be installing or tweaking to get the best out of GIMP when working with large format images?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Hope this makes sense as its my first foray into this mailing list!

Thanks

Anthony

Ofnuts
2014-10-02 21:52:30 UTC (over 9 years ago)

slow rendering of images

On 30/09/14 17:04, Anthony ODoibhailein wrote:

Hello,

I am a new user of GIMP and have been quite impressed with the range of features and usability. However I am working on a large banner and am finding the rendering of the image is extremely slow. I have just upgraded my mac from a powerpc to a 12 core intel machine and am not appreciating a great speed benefit so far due to this slowness of rendering. I appreciate that it may well be down to the setup. I have the RAM set to 10Gb in the GIMP preferences which I had thought sufficient to show an improvement but its not given much of a boost.

You mean Edit>Preferences -> Environment > Tile cache size?

Check your system monitor will tell you where the slowdown happens... how much RAM is used? how many CPU cores are used? I don't think the current versions of Gimp will make use of all your cores....