RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Add Border and Add Bevel values

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Add Border and Add Bevel values Russell Gadd 10 Sep 14:30
  Add Border and Add Bevel values Alexandre Prokoudine 13 Sep 16:30
   Add Border and Add Bevel values Russell Gadd 13 Sep 17:57
Russell Gadd
2014-09-10 14:30:27 UTC (over 9 years ago)

In the hope that the developers keep an eye on this mailing list, I'm putting forward a request for a few (hopefully minor) enhancements, as follows:

I paint watercolours and I use the Add Border option of the Filters > Decor menu to make a "mount" around a photo of a finished painting, after cropping. There are some values that have to be specified which I would like to see modified if at all possible:

1. The maximum border is 250 which is often too small for my purposes. Can I suggest 1000. Although I could add another border to make a larger border, I then can't add a bevel because I need to add the bevel on the first border before adding the second border and then there's a bevel between the two borders.
So an alternative to increasing the maximum border would be to have an option to make a bevel just on the inside or outside. I expect this would be more work than just changing the default maximum border although it would extend the possibilities more. 2. When I add a bevel the maximum bevel is 30, could this be extended, to say 100?
3. The "delta" value on colour creates a gradient on the sides which I don't want but unfortunately it doesn't accept zero, the lowest value is 1. Is it possible to allow a zero value? However I'm not too troubled by this as a value of 1 is hardly detectable.

Russell (using Gimp 2.8.10 in Linux Mint 17)

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-09-13 16:30:20 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Russell Gadd wrote:

In the hope that the developers keep an eye on this mailing list, I'm putting forward a request for a few (hopefully minor) enhancements, as follows:

Russell,

You don't need to be a developer to adjust that.

1. The maximum border is 250 which is often too small for my purposes.

Find the file called addborder.scm amd open it in the file editor. Change 250 to whatever you need in these two lines:

SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Border X size" '(12 1 250 1 10 0 1) SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Border Y size" '(12 1 250 1 10 0 1)

2. When I add a bevel the maximum bevel is 30, could this be extended, to say 100?

Same thing. Find and open add-bevel.scm, tweak this line:

SF-ADJUSTMENT _"Thickness" '(5 0 30 1 2 0 0)

Actually, I think that now that pictures are bigger on average, we might adjust that in upstream, although I'm not sure if this should be done in 2.8.x.

In both cases, technically it's better to:

1. Make copies of the original files,

2. Edit your copies. Change names of the scripts that show up in menu, e.g. change:

_"Add B_evel..."

to

_"Advanced Add B_evel..."

3. Rename the low-level technical name that is used for registering a new script, e.g. change

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-add-bevel" "/Filters/Decor")

to

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-advanced-add-bevel" "/Filters/Decor")

as well as:

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-add-bevel" "/Filters/Decor")

to

(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-advanced-add-bevel" "/Filters/Decor")

4. Place edited copies to your local scripts folder. That way your changes won't be overwritten, when you install new version of GIMP.

3. The "delta" value on colour creates a gradient on the sides which I don't want but unfortunately it doesn't accept zero, the lowest value is 1. Is it possible to allow a zero value? However I'm not too troubled by this as a value of 1 is hardly detectable.

Sorry, I don't get it. Bevel is a 3D thing. It's supposed to have shading. If you need a flat fill inthe frame, please use the Add Border script.

Alex

Russell Gadd
2014-09-13 17:57:36 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 13 September 2014 17:30, Alexandre Prokoudine < alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Russell Gadd wrote:

3. The "delta" value on colour creates a gradient on the sides which I don't want but unfortunately it doesn't accept zero, the lowest value is

Is it possible to allow a zero value? However I'm not too troubled by

this

as a value of 1 is hardly detectable.

Sorry, I don't get it. Bevel is a 3D thing. It's supposed to have shading. If you need a flat fill inthe frame, please use the Add Border script.

I may have confused you. The delta is a differential in colour on the

border sides not the bevel. I want a flat border with a bevelled edge which would represent a simple mount or flat wooden frame with chamfered inner/outer edges. Using the Add Bevel after Add Border works fine.

But in Add Border, using a large delta gives what looks like perhaps a metal frame with thin outer edges and thicker inner edges (or vice-versa depending on how you perceive it). Still, as I said, it's not a problem in practice as a delta of 1 gives a virtually undetectable change in colour.

Thanks for the recipe to fix it. I couldn't have figured any of this out for myself. I haven't tried it yet, but I will attempt the local scripts version as this would be safer and as you say protected against upgrades overwriting it.

Russell

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list