RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Large window size causes lag

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Large window size causes lag Cyanoferret 08 Sep 21:10
  Large window size causes lag antiart 06 Oct 12:40
   Large window size causes lag Jehan Pagès 06 Oct 20:49
    Large window size causes lag antiart 07 Oct 09:31
     Large window size causes lag Arundidoo 15 Jul 23:28
    Large window size causes lag Cyanoferret 11 Oct 21:43
     Large window size causes lag dannyfritz 28 Jan 19:33
    Large window size causes lag michael673 15 Nov 21:06
     Large window size causes lag dannyfritz 15 Nov 21:58
2014-09-08 21:10:47 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

I am using Gimp 2.8.14 (latest version, just installed) with Windows 8.1 and a Wacom Intuos tablet. When I maximise, or otherwise enlarge the drawing window beyond around 30-40% of my screen size, the tool cursor becomes very laggy. When using the paintbrush, for example, the painted area, brush outline, and even the little markers on the ruler that show the cursor position, lag significantly behind the penstroke. With a smaller window, the tools work perfectly. There does not appear to be any lag when using the mouse to draw, even for a maximised window.

I have increased the tile cache size to no effect, and when looking in the task manager it appears that Gimp is only using around 150 Mb or so. I have also tried turning the brush outline off (as suggested as solutions to similar problems), but this also didn't work and I would very much like to keep this switched on. The problem does not appear to be affected by canvas size or the amount of the canvas displayed.

2014-10-06 12:40:45 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

I can confirm this issue. Exactly what I experienced and what I tried. It doesn't matter if the image is 100x100 or 10000x10000 pixels, only the WINDOW size makes the cursor slow. I have a new Lenovo z50-70, which is fairly fast and powerful, fresh install of Windows 8.1, all updated and with the newest drivers. I tried both, a wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch and a wacom Intuos 2, both have the lag. I also disabled/tested those Windows 8 tablet PC settings like hold-pen-to-right-click and the "flicks". Still lag. My partner suggested that the issue is related to the GPU, so i tried to force Gimp to use the Nvidia processor, and then I forced it to the "integrated processor". There was no difference. I also changed all my graphics settings to good performance and disabled the "fancy stuff".

Interestingly I just noticed a very similar behavior in myPaint (version 1.1.0+gite06d414). The bigger the window, the more lag. This may be related (myPaint has an endless canvas, though). However, putting myPaint into Fullscreen kind of fixed the lagging. Sadly, this does not work for Gimp. There is still the same lag, no matter if fullscreen or maximized.

And just for the record: None of the other painting application have this issue: SAI, Krita, Inkscape, ArtRage, Fresh Paint.

I am using Gimp 2.8.14 (latest version, just installed) with Windows 8.1 and a Wacom Intuos tablet. When I maximise, or otherwise enlarge the drawing window beyond around 30-40% of my screen size, the tool cursor becomes very laggy. When using the paintbrush, for example, the painted area, brush outline, and even the little markers on the ruler that show the cursor position, lag significantly behind the penstroke. With a smaller window, the tools work perfectly. There does not appear to be any lag when using the mouse to draw, even for a maximised window.

I have increased the tile cache size to no effect, and when looking in the task manager it appears that Gimp is only using around 150 Mb or so. I have also tried turning the brush outline off (as suggested as solutions to similar problems), but this also didn't work and I would very much like to keep this switched on. The problem does not appear to be affected by canvas size or the amount of the canvas displayed.

Jehan Pagès
2014-10-06 20:49:10 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM, antiart wrote:

I can confirm this issue. Exactly what I experienced and what I tried. It doesn't matter if the image is 100x100 or 10000x10000 pixels, only the WINDOW size makes the cursor slow.
I have a new Lenovo z50-70, which is fairly fast and powerful, fresh install of Windows 8.1, all updated and with the newest drivers. I tried both, a wacom Bamboo Pen&Touch and a wacom Intuos 2, both have the lag. I also disabled/tested those Windows 8 tablet PC settings like hold-pen-to-right-click and the "flicks". Still lag.
My partner suggested that the issue is related to the GPU, so i tried to force Gimp to use the Nvidia processor, and then I forced it to the "integrated processor". There was no difference. I also changed all my graphics settings to good performance and disabled the "fancy stuff".

Interestingly I just noticed a very similar behavior in myPaint (version 1.1.0+gite06d414). The bigger the window, the more lag. This may be related (myPaint has an endless canvas, though). However, putting myPaint into Fullscreen kind of fixed the lagging. Sadly, this does not work for Gimp. There is still the same lag, no matter if fullscreen or maximized.

And just for the record: None of the other painting application have this issue: SAI, Krita, Inkscape, ArtRage, Fresh Paint.

This is a known bug which has actually been introduced by a recent version of libcairo.
See https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736220

A solution for the time being is using an older libcairo. In an older version of GIMP (2.8.10), save libcairo-2.dll (and maybe libpixman-1-0.dll as well), then after updating to 2.8.14, replace the newly installed DLLs by the 2 you saved. The lag bug should be gone. At least that is what a user told us in the aforementionned bug report.

The actual bug will be fixed when a libcairo developer, or maybe one of us, will look closer into this. I've been meaning to do this myself as well, but never took the time for such a thing.

Jehan

--
antiart (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2014-10-07 09:31:15 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Thanks a lot for your answer and workaround! I tried it and it works perfectly. You also need both, the libpng15-15.dll and libpng16-16.dll (I simply copied the libpng16-16.dll from 2.8.14 and renamed it to 15-15. Works well, so far). It's probably a good idea to copy this one from 2.8.10, too.

I'm sure, this will help other people, too.

Before trying the dll-magic I also gave Gimp a high priority in he task manager and put all my energy-saving-setting on high performance. This reduces the lag pretty good. Anyway, the dlls fix it completely.

Hi,
This is a known bug which has actually been introduced by a recent version of libcairo.

A solution for the time being is using an older libcairo. In an older version of GIMP (2.8.10), save libcairo-2.dll (and maybe libpixman-1-0.dll as well), then after updating to 2.8.14, replace the newly installed DLLs by the 2 you saved. The lag bug should be gone. At least that is what a user told us in the aforementionned bug report.

The actual bug will be fixed when a libcairo developer, or maybe one of us, will look closer into this. I've been meaning to do this myself as well, but never took the time for such a thing.

Jehan

2014-10-11 21:43:01 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hi,

Jehan

Thanks! I copied those two files plus libpng15-15 as suggested from 2.8.10 and replaced the relevant 2.8.14 versions. Appears to be working with no other problems, although testing has been limited so far. I did get an odd error message when starting up 2.8.14 for the first time after switching the files; something like: The procedure entry point cairo_mesh_pattern_begin_patch could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\...\libpoppler-glib-8.dll

Since this wasn't a file I touched, I don't know if this was related. In any case, I simply ok'd the error message and it all seemed to start up ok otherwise.

2015-01-28 19:33:10 UTC (about 9 years ago)
postings

I just wanted to point out to everyoen that you can just disable the ruler for now to fix it. This bug comment pointed this out: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736220#c8

2015-07-15 23:28:57 UTC (almost 9 years ago)
postings

Thanks a lot for your answer and workaround! I tried it and it works perfectly. You also need both, the libpng15-15.dll and libpng16-16.dll (I simply copied the libpng16-16.dll from 2.8.14 and renamed it to 15-15. Works well, so far). It's probably a good idea to copy this one from 2.8.10, too.

Can I have a directory for where you actually place the files because i wasn't sure which bin folder to put them into. Thanks

2015-11-15 21:06:54 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I wanted to quickly add to this discussion. This bug is still present. As Jehan mentioned they haven't had time to fix this yet. I discovered it after installing a Wacom Cintiq 13HD and testing it out on Gimp 2.8.14 yesterday (Nov 2015). Removing 'rulers' is a temp fix but I'm hoping this bug gets some attention soon.

Hi,

Jehan

2015-11-15 21:58:09 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

I wanted to quickly add to this discussion. This bug is still present. As Jehan mentioned they haven't had time to fix this yet. I discovered it after installing a Wacom Cintiq 13HD and testing it out on Gimp 2.8.14 yesterday (Nov 2015). Removing 'rulers' is a temp fix but I'm hoping this bug gets some attention soon.

It actually has been fixed. https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736411

You can download a dev build and it will work perfectly. It is only fixed in master and hasn't made it to a release yet.