RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Editing a saved xcf file with layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Editing a saved xcf file with layers Debbie Miller 05 Sep 00:35
  Editing a saved xcf file with layers Jehan Pagès 05 Sep 02:49
  Editing a saved xcf file with layers Mark Bourne 05 Sep 18:41
   Editing a saved xcf file with layers Ofnuts 05 Sep 19:16
Debbie Miller
2014-09-05 00:35:59 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hello,

I created a image using a few layers. It has a background, text and image layer. I saved the image with the xcf extension and then exported it to a png so I could use it on my website.

I need to change the text on the original image. When I open the image xcf file I dont see any layers. There is only one layer and I cannot edit just the text.

I have tried searching for the answers but cannot find anything to help me edit and original image. I opened the file by using the open layers choice.

Thank you

Deb

Jehan Pagès
2014-09-05 02:49:21 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Debbie Miller wrote:

Hello,

I created a image using a few layers. It has a background, text and image layer. I saved the image with the xcf extension and then exported it to a png so I could use it on my website.

I need to change the text on the original image. When I open the image xcf file I dont see any layers. There is only one layer and I cannot edit just the text.

Are you sure you have not reopened the png file and saved it as XCF over the original XCF file, thus overwritting your work?

I have tried searching for the answers but cannot find anything to help me edit and original image. I opened the file by using the open layers choice.

Well you can't find this because that's not supposed to happen. If you saved your work when you had your layers, then they should be here when you reopen the XCF file. GIMP does not ever squash layers together by itself. You have to explicitly do it in the layer list ("merge down" feature, which is not even that easy to find! This is in the contextual menu of the layers, or the "Layer" menu) for this to happen. So you should be able to edit your text layer, as you expect. Or do you remember having merged your layers at some point?

In your case, I don't know what happened, but I feel there has been a bad manipulation somewhere. Maybe as said before, you opened the png file and overwrote the XCF. I don't know.

Jehan

Thank you

Deb

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Mark Bourne
2014-09-05 18:41:24 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Debbie Miller wrote:

Hello,

"Open as Layers" allows several files to be opened at once, each as a separate layer of the same image. Just a thought, but does that process flatten any files which themselves contain multiple layers? Does it open correctly using the normal "Open" instead of "Open as Layers"?

Mark.

Ofnuts
2014-09-05 19:16:42 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 05/09/14 20:41, Mark Bourne wrote:

"Open as Layers" allows several files to be opened at once, each as a separate layer of the same image. Just a thought, but does that process flatten any files which themselves contain multiple layers?

No, one such file is opened as several layers.