RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.0.1409573323.6850.g... 03 Sep 18:37
  XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Oliver Dillenburger 03 Sep 18:36
   XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Jehan Pagès 04 Sep 00:24
    trinity-1fb4acca-29e8-4dd8-... 07 Sep 15:04
     XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Jehan Pagès 07 Sep 15:03
    XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Chris Mohler 04 Sep 02:31
    XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Michael Schumacher 07 Sep 15:13
     XCF doesn't open even when the preview is fine Jehan Pagès 07 Sep 15:29
Oliver Dillenburger
2014-09-03 18:36:45 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hello everybody,

I'm new with a problem that is bugging me. I did spent hours on a pic with several layers, saving it regularly.  
Today I tried to open it. The preview shows the picture just fine but gimp states I need to open at least one layer to work. The XCF is 400 MB.
 Gimp 2.8.10 and 2.8.14 both had the same problem.  
Any help is appreciated,

Oliver

Jehan Pagès
2014-09-04 00:24:22 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Oliver Dillenburger wrote:

Hello everybody,

I'm new with a problem that is bugging me. I did spent hours on a pic with several layers, saving it regularly.

Today I tried to open it. The preview shows the picture just fine but gimp states I need to open at least one layer to work.

That reminds me something. Maybe someone on the list or in a bug report had a similar issue, but I can't find. What is the exact message error?

The XCF is 400 MB.

Is it a file you can share publicly? Could you upload it somewhere so that we can have a look?
If that's not a file you want/are allowed to share, could you still upload it and send a private message with the link? Thanks.

Jehan

Any help is appreciated,

Oliver _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Chris Mohler
2014-09-04 02:31:45 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

And this isn't going to help immediately, but once I've been working on a file called "my_cool_image_01.xcf" for over an hour, I do a File->Save As (CTRL-Shift-S), and name it 'my_cool_image_02.xcf". This isn't just a GIMP thing - I do the same in all programs. Disk space is cheap; my time is not ;)

Going forward, if you use this strategy you'll likely only lose an hour at most if things go sideways. But to be fully honest I pair that strategy with regular off-site backups :)

Chris

Jehan Pagès
2014-09-07 15:03:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Oliver Dillenburger wrote:

Here is a link to a screenshot that shows the problem:

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/display/34585260

I can't upload the picture.

Is there a general problem with "large" XCF files?

As far as I know (i.e. as users reported so), many users work with huge XCF files.

The pic has only about 10 layers and I consider it not too big for Gimp to handle...

Any help is appreciated,

Well thanks for the screenshot. It indeed shows there is likely a problem (especially for a 400MB file but no layers in it!). But if we can't reproduce it, there is not much we can do. So if you can't upload this picture, if you were able to produce another "test" picture with the same problem, or find a "reproduction steps" for us to be able to reproduce such a case ourselves, that would be fine.

Otherwise we are just asked to guess in the wild. That may still be possible, some dev know very well GIMP's code and may guess what happened. But this is making things much more difficult.

Anyway, could you open a bug ticket with as much information as you can give? https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP

Jehan

Oliver

Hello everybody,

Today I tried to open it. The preview shows the picture just fine but gimp states I need to open at least one layer to work.

That reminds me something. Maybe someone on the list or in a bug report had a similar issue, but I can't find. What is the exact message error?

The XCF is 400 MB.

Is it a file you can share publicly? Could you upload it somewhere so that we can have a look?
If that's not a file you want/are allowed to share, could you still upload it and send a private message with the link? Thanks.

Jehan

Michael Schumacher
2014-09-07 15:13:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 04.09.2014 02:24, Jehan Pags wrote:

Hi,

Hello everybody,

That reminds me something. Maybe someone on the list or in a bug report had a similar issue, but I can't find.

The issue with the additional zeroes in XCF files, to to an unexpected (but apparently to be expected) behavior of fseek?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=730211

Reported for OSX, but there's no reason to assume it can't happen on other platforms.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Jehan Pagès
2014-09-07 15:29:56 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 04.09.2014 02:24, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

Hello everybody,

That reminds me something. Maybe someone on the list or in a bug report had a similar issue, but I can't find.

The issue with the additional zeroes in XCF files, to to an unexpected (but apparently to be expected) behavior of fseek?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=730211

Reported for OSX, but there's no reason to assume it can't happen on other platforms.

It may be it, but from what I understand by skimming through the report is that there have been commits to fix this issue, so that GIMP 2.8.14 should be able to recover such a damaged file. Though Massimo wrote « a simple test to save and load "layers recovered.xcf" passes ». Is it to say that the user should try to save his file under another name (just to avoid mistakes), and load this file should recover its layers?

Jehan

--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list