RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can´t install GIMP 2.9 pelayoglezfoto 21 Aug 06:52
  Can´t install GIMP 2.9 Jehan Pagès 21 Aug 13:46
   Can´t install GIMP 2.9 pelayoglezfoto 21 Aug 15:15
    Can´t install GIMP 2.9 Thorsten Stettin 21 Aug 15:42
     Can´t install GIMP 2.9 pelayoglezfoto 21 Aug 16:00
   Can´t install GIMP 2.9 Mark Bourne 21 Aug 15:49
  Can´t install GIMP 2.9 Thorsten Stettin 21 Aug 15:57
   Can´t install GIMP 2.9 pelayoglezfoto 21 Aug 16:02
    Can´t install GIMP 2.9 Thorsten Stettin 21 Aug 16:16
2014-08-21 06:52:02 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Hi.
I´m Pelayo, a pro photographer from the north of Spain. I´m trying to install GIMP 2.9 on elementaryOS (debian based), but it´s being impossible. I´m sure i´m using the correct ppa's, but every time I try to install it, 2.8 is installed. Any idea of what could be the problem?

Cheers. Pelayo

Jehan Pagès
2014-08-21 13:46:46 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM, pelayoglezfoto wrote:

Hi.
I´m Pelayo, a pro photographer from the north of Spain. I´m trying to install GIMP 2.9 on elementaryOS (debian based), but it´s being impossible. I´m sure i´m using the correct ppa's, but every time I try to install it, 2.8 is installed. Any idea of what could be the problem?

You should ask the ppa owner directly. We don't maintain any ppa package and cannot ensure they would work fine. They are done by third-party users.

In any case, to say something useful for you, after you install any ppa, you must update your locale package database, with this command (or the equivalent through some menu if you add the PPA with a graphical program):
$ sudo apt-get update

If you forgot to do this after installing the ppa, this is probably your problem.
Otherwise, I'd suggest you ask the ppa maintainer. :-)

Jehan

Cheers.
Pelayo

--
pelayoglezfoto (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2014-08-21 15:15:04 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Hi,
You should ask the ppa owner directly. We don't maintain any ppa package and cannot ensure they would work fine. They are done by third-party users.

In any case, to say something useful for you, after you install any ppa, you must update your locale package database, with this command (or the equivalent through some menu if you add the PPA with a graphical program):
$ sudo apt-get update

If you forgot to do this after installing the ppa, this is probably your problem.

Jeh

Ok, thank you very much.
Anyway, could yoy tell me where can I download GIMP 2.9 for linux, please?

Thorsten Stettin
2014-08-21 15:42:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Am 21.08.2014 um 17:15 schrieb pelayoglezfoto:

Hi,

$ sudo apt-get update

Jeh

Ok, thank you very much.
Anyway, could yoy tell me where can I download GIMP 2.9 for linux, please?

Hi, which PPA you are using? Probably this: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge ? It works only for Ubuntu based Distros with Ubuntu >= 14.04.

Regards

Thorsten

PS; I'm the maintainer. O:-)

Lao-Tse sagt: Nichtstun ist besser, als mit viel Mhe nichts zu schaffen.
Und er sagt auch: Ich habe drei Schtze, die ich hte und hege. Der eine ist die Liebe, der zweite ist die Gengsamkeit, der dritte ist die Demut. Nur der Liebende ist mutig, nur der Gengsame ist grozgig, nur der Demtige ist fhig zu herrschen.
Mark Bourne
2014-08-21 15:49:18 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM, pelayoglezfoto wrote:

Hi.

$ sudo apt-get update

Also, in case Pelayo isn't aware, 2.9 is the current development version, which will eventually become 2.10 when ready. Some features may not be complete, and it may be less stable. If looking for the latest features, and willing to live with (and ideally report) any bugs which may arise, that's great. Otherwise, it may be better to use the more stable 2.8 series for production use (perhaps that's another reason for the PPA not offering 2.9?)

Regarding GIMP 2.9, http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ says:

Development snapshots

There are no releases of the 2.9 development version yet.

Nightly builds for Windows are available at darkrefraction.com. This is unstable software, please use it at your own risk.

A detailed list of changes in the development branch is available in git.

Mark.

Thorsten Stettin
2014-08-21 15:57:07 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Am 21.08.2014 um 08:52 schrieb pelayoglezfoto:

Hi.

Cheers. Pelayo

Hi, Pelayo,

afaik the only way to use my PPA with Gimp 2.9 is to upgrade your elementary OS to Freya, which ist Ubuntu 14.04 based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elementary_OS

But be aware, Gimp 2.9 is a development version!

Use at your own risk!

Regards

Thorsten

Lao-Tse sagt: Nichtstun ist besser, als mit viel Mühe nichts zu schaffen.
Und er sagt auch: Ich habe drei Schätze, die ich hüte und hege. Der eine ist die Liebe, der zweite ist die Genügsamkeit, der dritte ist die Demut. Nur der Liebende ist mutig, nur der Genügsame ist großzügig, nur der Demütige ist fähig zu herrschen.
2014-08-21 16:00:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Am 21.08.2014 um 17:15 schrieb pelayoglezfoto: Hi, which PPA you are using? Probably this: https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp-edge ? It works only for Ubuntu based Distros with Ubuntu >= 14.04.

Regards

Thorsten

PS; I'm the maintainer. O:-)

Yes, that's the one iḿ using, and I have had 2.9 Installed in my computer, but I changed my linux distro and when I tried to intall it again, I could only install 2.8. I know 2.9 is unstable. I develop most of my work with Darktable, but when I need to use GIMP, version 2.9 has some features that worth the risk.

Pelayo

2014-08-21 16:02:14 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Am 21.08.2014 um 08:52 schrieb pelayoglezfoto: Hi, Pelayo,

afaik the only way to use my PPA with Gimp 2.9 is to upgrade your elementary OS to Freya, which ist Ubuntu 14.04 based.

Use at your own risk!

Regards

Thorsten

Thats the problem, then, I am using elementaryOS, based on Ubuntu 13.

Thorsten Stettin
2014-08-21 16:16:48 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Can´t install GIMP 2.9

Am 21.08.2014 um 18:02 schrieb pelayoglezfoto:

Am 21.08.2014 um 08:52 schrieb pelayoglezfoto: Hi, Pelayo,

Use at your own risk!

Regards

Thorsten

Thats the problem, then, I am using elementaryOS, based on Ubuntu 13.

Sorry, but for now I can't change this. There are fucking deep dependency issues with Ubuntu (

Lao-Tse sagt: Nichtstun ist besser, als mit viel Mhe nichts zu schaffen.
Und er sagt auch: Ich habe drei Schtze, die ich hte und hege. Der eine ist die Liebe, der zweite ist die Gengsamkeit, der dritte ist die Demut. Nur der Liebende ist mutig, nur der Gengsame ist grozgig, nur der Demtige ist fhig zu herrschen.