RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

moving parf of an image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

moving parf of an image JLuc 16 Jul 17:19
  moving parf of an image Burnie West 16 Jul 17:41
   moving parf of an image JLuc 16 Jul 18:07
    moving parf of an image akovia 16 Jul 22:14
     moving parf of an image Ofnuts 17 Jul 08:31
      moving parf of an image Maurizio Loreti 17 Jul 08:49
       moving parf of an image Ofnuts 17 Jul 19:10
        moving parf of an image Akkana Peck 19 Jul 19:13
         moving parf of an image JLuc 24 Jul 16:01
    moving parf of an image Burnie West 18 Jul 02:38
JLuc
2014-07-16 17:19:29 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

'o

i'm getting used to gimp but something still keeps me wondering "am i doing right ?" : its how i move part of an image :
i select the part i wanna move (using any of the select tools), cut and paste it in the floating selection layer, move it (and possibly do other transforms), and anchor it back to where it belongs to.

Is there some simpler way i'm not aware of, for example without cut'n'pasting,
when all i wanna do is moving part of an image ?

JLuc

Burnie West
2014-07-16 17:41:15 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 07/16/2014 10:19 AM, JLuc wrote:

'o

i'm getting used to gimp but something still keeps me wondering "am i doing right ?" : its how i move part of an image :
i select the part i wanna move (using any of the select tools), cut and paste it in the floating selection layer, move it (and possibly do other transforms), and anchor it back to where it belongs to.

Is there some simpler way i'm not aware of, for example without cut'n'pasting,
when all i wanna do is moving part of an image ?

If I understand your question correctly, my answer is "probably not."

But I do not understand what you mean by "anchor it back to where it belongs to".

Do you mean you want a part of your image copied over on top of another part of your image (or maybe onto another image), while the original selected location remains unchanged?

In that case, you select and copy, rather than select and cut, and paste.

JLuc
2014-07-16 18:07:50 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

Le 16/07/2014 19:41, Burnie West a crit :

If I understand your question correctly, my answer is "probably not." But I do not understand what you mean by "anchor it back to where it belongs to". Do you mean you want a part of your image copied over on top of another part of your image (or maybe onto another image), while the original selected location remains unchanged? In that case, you select and copy, rather than select and cut, and paste.

No, i mean change its position in the same layer, without duplication in final work
(hence, original selected location changes also) JLuc

akovia
2014-07-16 22:14:25 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

What is easier than cut and paste? I'm not sure I can envision anything simpler.

The one thing I do is anchor the floating selection on a separate new layer by hitting the new layer button. Then I can move it around and modify it at will without committing it back to the original layer. When I'm happy with it, I could either flatten the image, or just merge down, but usually I just leave it on it's own layer and export in the format I want so I can go back and make changes later if I like inside the xcf.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014, at 02:07 PM, JLuc wrote:

If I understand your question correctly, my answer is "probably not." But I do not understand what you mean by "anchor it back to where it belongs to". Do you mean you want a part of your image copied over on top of another part of your image (or maybe onto another image), while the original selected location remains unchanged? In that case, you select and copy, rather than select and cut, and paste.

No, i mean change its position in the same layer, without duplication in final work

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

akovia
Ofnuts
2014-07-17 08:31:45 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 17/07/14 00:14, akovia wrote:

What is easier than cut and paste? I'm not sure I can envision anything simpler.

Actually in many tools, right after you have made your selection, you can depress Alt+Control and drag the selected part to a new location. But... you need a strong hand because you cannot adjust the position, and this is usable only for the simplest cases. The copy/paste method isn't much more complicated and cover many more usage scenarios.

Maurizio Loreti
2014-07-17 08:49:37 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 17/lug/2014, at 10:31, Ofnuts wrote:

Actually in many tools, right after you have made your selection, you can depress Alt+Control and drag the selected part to a new location. But... you need a strong hand because you cannot adjust the position

In case like this, you can drag your selection using the arrow keys (that move one pixel at a time) if you need a stronger control...

(@_  |
//\  | Maurizio Loreti - Retired physicist, happy grandfather
V_/_ | of two grandsons, wanderer and amateur photographer...
Ofnuts
2014-07-17 19:10:58 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 17/07/14 10:49, Maurizio Loreti wrote:

Actually in many tools, right after you have made your selection, you can depress Alt+Control and drag the selected part to a new location. But... you need a strong hand because you cannot adjust the position

In case like this, you can drag your selection using the arrow keys (that move one pixel at a time) if you need a stronger control...

Doesn't work for me... this doesn't work exactly like the Move tool it seems.

Burnie West
2014-07-18 02:38:37 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 07/16/2014 11:07 AM, JLuc wrote:

If I understand your question correctly, my answer is "probably not." But I do not understand what you mean by "anchor it back to where it belongs to".
Do you mean you want a part of your image copied over on top of another part of your image (or maybe onto another image), while the original selected location remains unchanged? In that case, you select and copy, rather than select and cut, and paste.

I imagine you may have created an image using several small sketches, and perhaps you wish to have one of the sketches in another place. If it is your intent to move one or another of the sketches, then perhaps it is best to put each sketch in a single layer. Then you can move each sketch independently of all the others, and the entire group of layers will print to your "final work" (perhaps a png or jpg image). Layers are not intended to be "final works."

You can create one or more groups of layers in your overall image for this kind of activity.

-- Burnie

Akkana Peck
2014-07-19 19:13:41 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

moving parf of an image

On 17/07/14 10:49, Maurizio Loreti wrote:

Ofnuts writes:

Doesn't work for me... this doesn't work exactly like the Move tool it seems.

It works for me only if I switch to the Move tool. So:

- Make selection with rect select (or whatever)o

- Ctrl-Alt-Drag the selection (this automatically makes a floating layer of it).

- Switch to the Move tool (the floating layer is still there).

- Adjust position with arrow keys.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to move something and leave a hole where it used to be? I know a lot of people want it, and I've always been curious what they're editing that makes this a useful operation.

...Akkana

JLuc
2014-07-24 16:01:33 UTC (over 9 years ago)

moving parf of an image

Le 19/07/2014 21:13, Akkana Peck a crit :

It works for me only if I switch to the Move tool. So:

- Make selection with rect select (or whatever)o

- Ctrl-Alt-Drag the selection (this automatically makes a floating layer of it).

Yeah !

- Switch to the Move tool (the floating layer is still there). - Adjust position with arrow keys.

For simple purpose, draging is enough + CTRL+H afterward.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to move something and leave a hole where it used to be? I know a lot of people want it, and I've always been curious what they're editing that makes this a useful operation.

There are lots of usecase where the background is plain white or plain transparent or monocolor space and its nice to be able to simply move some element inside this blank space.

JLuc