RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Pasting an image results in outline only moving

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Pasting an image results in outline only moving Whipsmart Blonde 15 Jul 19:50
  Pasting an image results in outline only moving akovia 15 Jul 21:26
Whipsmart Blonde
2014-07-15 19:50:57 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Hi there
Today I learned to cut out an object from an image, and I managed to paste it into a new background by selecting "Copy visible" and "paste into". However, for some reason I haven't been able to replicate this! When I try, I can see that the *outline* of the object has been pasted into the new background, but nothing else. I presume it's an issue with layer transparency but I haven't been able to figure out what's happened or what I'm doing differently from the first time. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

akovia
2014-07-15 21:26:09 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Sounds like the layer is still a floating selection. If this is the case, you should see a layer at the top of your layers dialog the reads "Floating Selection (pasted layer) When you make the selection, (marching ants) you can use your regular copy & paste shortcuts.
Ctrl+C & Ctrl+v
After you enter Ctrl+v, just click the new layer button at the bottom of the layers window. This will put your selection on a new separate layer. This will also give you the freedom to move it around for placing it on whatever background layer you are using.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014, at 03:50 PM, Whipsmart Blonde wrote:

Hi there
Today I learned to cut out an object from an image, and I managed to paste
it into a new background by selecting "Copy visible" and "paste into". However, for some reason I haven't been able to replicate this! When I try,
I can see that the *outline* of the object has been pasted into the new background, but nothing else. I presume it's an issue with layer transparency but I haven't been able to figure out what's happened or what
I'm doing differently from the first time. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

akovia