RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1) DocChloroplast 27 Jun 16:10
  GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1) Sven Claussner 27 Jun 16:45
   GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1) DocChloroplast 01 Jul 17:52
    GIMP 2.8.10 repeatedly crashes (Windows 8.1) Jehan Pagès 05 Jul 13:14
2014-06-27 16:10:06 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Hello,

Ever since I installed GIMP on my new Windows 8.1 machine, I've been having repeated issues of it crashing while working with images. I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem; a clean uninstall and reinstall hasn't really affected the behavior. I took to checking the Windows Event Viewer to see if it shed any light (perhaps a plugin or extension is causing an issue), but most of the time the problem lies with gimp-2.8.10.0.exe itself. The exception code reported is 0xc0000005, if that helps any. (I've also tried launching GIMP in verbose mode, but nothing out of the ordinary appears when it crashes).

Thanks.

Sven Claussner
2014-06-27 16:45:09 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Hi,

is this really with GIMP from www.gimp.org/downloads? If yes, what exactly were you doing right before it crashed and can you please post the complete error message?

Kind regards,

Sven

On 27. Juni 2014 18:10:06 MESZ, DocChloroplast wrote:

Hello,

Ever since I installed GIMP on my new Windows 8.1 machine, I've been having
repeated issues of it crashing while working with images. I haven't been able to
pinpoint the problem; a clean uninstall and reinstall hasn't really affected the
behavior. I took to checking the Windows Event Viewer to see if it shed any
light (perhaps a plugin or extension is causing an issue), but most of the time
the problem lies with gimp-2.8.10.0.exe itself. The exception code reported is
0xc0000005, if that helps any. (I've also tried launching GIMP in verbose mode,
but nothing out of the ordinary appears when it crashes).

Thanks.

-- DocChloroplast (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail gesendet.
2014-07-01 17:52:35 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Hi,

is this really with GIMP from www.gimp.org/downloads? If yes, what exactly were you doing right before it crashed and can you please post the complete error message?

Kind regards,

Sven

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, this was downloaded directly from the website. The program crashed today; this time I was saving an admittedly large file (after having saved it a few times before). Here is the output from EventViewer:

Log Name: Application Source: Application Error
Date: 7/1/2014 1:48:02 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: lotak
Description:
Faulting application name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8 Faulting module name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8 Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002888f2
Faulting process id: 0x30ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf947469ef153b Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe Report Id: d870aace-0147-11e4-bebc-089e01d1f625 Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks.

Jehan Pagès
2014-07-05 13:14:06 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Hi DocChloroplast,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM, DocChloroplast wrote:

Hi,

Kind regards,

Sven

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, this was downloaded directly from the website. The program crashed today; this time I was saving an admittedly large file (after having saved it a few times before). Here is the output from EventViewer:

Log Name: Application Source: Application Error
Date: 7/1/2014 1:48:02 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: lotak
Description:
Faulting application name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8
Faulting module name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8 Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002888f2
Faulting process id: 0x30ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf947469ef153b Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe Report Id: d870aace-0147-11e4-bebc-089e01d1f625 Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This kind of data is useless to debug. On the other hand, if you could get us a stack trace of the time of the crash, this would help. Here how to generate a stack trace:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Community/GettingInTouch/Bugzilla/GettingTraces That howto is more UNIX-oriented, but I read that gdb runs on Windows too, and apparently the MinGW-w64 project provides pre-built gdb in their installer, if you don't have it yet: http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/download.php So you should be able to produce a stack trace this way.

If you can get this, then please open a bug ticket on our bugtracker: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP You will have to create an account if you don't have one yet.

Also when you say you have a new Windows 8.1 machine, is it to say you had the same version of GIMP on a lower version of Windows? And when you had this other installation, you didn't have that much crashes? I say this because I own only a Windows 7 license. So if the crashes occur exclusively on Windows 8, this may make debugging more difficult. And I don't plan to buy a Windows license any time soon, nor will I download illegal versions.

On the other hand, a small call to users: if anyone has legal Windows version, which can legally be transfered to other people (which I think disallow any OEM license tied to a computer, if not mistaken), I (or some other GIMP dev) could install a Windows 8 in a VM to test and debug.
As a reminder, we still have no dedicated Windows developer (as far as I am aware). We are all mainly Linux developers.

Thanks.

Jehan

Thanks.

--
DocChloroplast (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list