RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP move tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP move tool josephbupe 16 May 07:07
  GIMP move tool Alexandre Prokoudine 16 May 07:16
   GIMP move tool josephbupe 16 May 07:40
  GIMP move tool josephbupe 16 May 07:23
   GIMP move tool Richard 16 May 14:17
    GIMP move tool Alexandre Prokoudine 16 May 14:24
     GIMP move tool Richard 16 May 14:32
      GIMP move tool Alexandre Prokoudine 16 May 14:40
       GIMP move tool Øyvind Kolås 16 May 15:35
2014-05-16 07:07:31 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

GIMP move tool

Hi,

This is especially for GIMP developers.

Many times I am working with GIMP I want to like draw shapes on the same transparent layer and later move them around in different positions. However, it's not easy (in GIMP) to just select an area of a given shape and reposition it on the same layer without using cut and paste. Another way would be to draw shapes on different layers each then I can move them; but that's a work around I don't want.

In some other applications like paint.net, I could draw shapes on the same transparent layer and later click any shape and move it in a different position and even rescale. This is possible in Krita and Photoshop and I think it's so handy to work that way.

Could we have the same implemented in GIMP?

See attached screenshort for easy reference.

Regards.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-05-16 07:16:23 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM, josephbupe wrote:

Many times I am working with GIMP I want to like draw shapes on the same transparent layer and later move them around in different positions. However, it's not easy (in GIMP) to just select an area of a given shape and reposition it on the same layer without using cut and paste.

You mean, Ctrl+Alt+dragging a selection is not easy? :)

Alexandre

2014-05-16 07:23:15 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

GIMP move tool

Sorry, I forgot to attach.

2014-05-16 07:40:23 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

GIMP move tool

You mean, Ctrl+Alt+dragging a selection is not easy? :)

Alexandre

Thanx Alenxandre. I spent the whole time trying to figure this out.

It's easy.

Richard
2014-05-16 14:17:01 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 09:23:15 +0200 From: forums@gimpusers.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: notifications@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] GIMP move tool

Sorry, I forgot to attach.

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/114/original/select-move.png

-- josephbupe (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Judging from that screenshot, it looks like in Paint.net when you draw a geometric shape (circle, rectangle, etc.) it displays selection handles that enable you to move or alter said shape as a separate drawing object (like how GIMP handles ellipse/rectangle selections).

GIMP has basically no support for this kind of object manipulation at this time, though I agree that in some cases having a few 'vector objects' as their own discrete layers (a la text objects and layers) would be very, very convenient.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-05-16 14:24:17 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

16 мая 2014 г. 18:17 пользователь "Richard" написал:

GIMP has basically no support for this kind of object manipulation at this time, though I agree that in some cases having a few 'vector objects' as their own discrete layers (a la text objects and layers) would be very, very convenient.

Just for precision's sake, GIMP has a backend for vector layers, without UI (there _was_ initial UI, it was never merged). But the code hasn't been touched in years, and I've my suspicions about its usefulness.

Alexandre

Richard
2014-05-16 14:32:06 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:24:17 +0400 From: alexandre.prokoudine@gmail.com CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP move tool

16 2014 . 18:17 "Richard" :

Just for precision's sake, GIMP has a backend for vector layers, without UI (there _was_ initial UI, it was never merged). But the code hasn't been touched in years, and I've my suspicions about its usefulness.

Alexandre _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Take Paths for example: Path objects do not have attached layer data, meaning that every time you adjust a path you have to re-stroke it onto a target surface. Contrast with text objects, which do have an attached layer that updates automatically as you change the underlying text or rendering style (font face, color, etc.)

(I also find GIMP's path editing controls very confusing compared to Inkscape, but that's a different matter.)

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-05-16 14:40:23 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Richard wrote:

Take Paths for example: Path objects do not have attached layer data, meaning that every time you adjust a path you have to re-stroke it onto a target surface.

Oh, that. Øyvind might need to correct me, but basic stroking of SVG-based paths is done in GEGL. "We have an op for that" :)

Alexandre

Øyvind Kolås
2014-05-16 15:35:47 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

GIMP move tool

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Richard wrote:

Take Paths for example: Path objects do not have attached layer data, meaning that every time you adjust a path you have to re-stroke it onto a target surface.

Oh, that. Øyvind might need to correct me, but basic stroking of SVG-based paths is done in GEGL. "We have an op for that" :)

The gegl:path op (or a similar one), is the foundation that seems natural to base vector layers on. The gegl:text op isn't as powerful as GIMPs text tool yet; but is other, and similar, rendering code that ideally would be migrated to a GEGL op.

/Øyvind