RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

greek letters

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

greek letters gimppimpf 13 May 13:30
  greek letters Alexandre Prokoudine 13 May 13:32
   greek letters Gary Aitken 13 May 15:15
    greek letters gimppimpf 14 May 08:09
     greek letters gimppimpf 16 May 07:52
      greek letters Ofnuts 17 May 17:51
       greek letters gimppimpf 22 May 11:22
      greek letters Liam R E Quin 18 May 00:50
       greek letters Liam R E Quin 18 May 01:26
       greek letters Akkana Peck 18 May 02:04
        greek letters Gary Aitken 18 May 07:23
         greek letters Michael Schumacher 18 May 16:04
         greek letters Akkana Peck 18 May 23:12
          greek letters Gary Aitken 19 May 03:28
      greek letters Noel Stoutenburg 18 May 00:59
2014-05-13 13:30:20 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

greek letters

Hello,

how to write in GIMP with greek letters?

Thanks Gimpfpimpf

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-05-13 13:32:57 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

Adding a Greek keyboard layout to your operating system/desktop environment of choice would be a sensible solution. There also typically is an app usually called Character Map that you can use to copy/paste single letters from.

Alexandre

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, gimppimpf wrote:

Hello,

Thanks Gimpfpimpf

--
gimppimpf (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Gary Aitken
2014-05-13 15:15:19 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

On 05/13/14 07:32, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Adding a Greek keyboard layout to your operating system/desktop environment of choice would be a sensible solution. There also typically is an app usually called Character Map that you can use to copy/paste single letters from.

Alexandre

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 5:30 PM, gimppimpf wrote:

Hello,

You can also use the unicode values for single letters by typing unnnn
where nnnn is the hexadecimal value of the unicode character you wish to enter. The 'U' may be either upper or lower case, as may be the hex letters.

For example to enter the formula for the area of a circle, πr² u03c0r00b2

Wikipedia has a good table of unicode characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Gary

2014-05-14 08:09:08 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

greek letters

You can also use the unicode values for single letters by typing unnnn
where nnnn is the hexadecimal value of the unicode character you wish to
enter. The 'U' may be either upper or lower case, as may be the hex letters.

For example to enter the formula for the area of a circle, πr² u03c0r00b2

Wikipedia has a good table of unicode characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters

Gary

Hi Gary,

thanks a lot - that perfekt answer will help me. I must build a starmap with the starnames. For Example alpha Gemini, but the word alpha must be a greek letter. The rest ist normal text.

By Gimppimpf

2014-05-16 07:52:19 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

greek letters

Hi Gary,

thanks a lot - that perfekt answer will help me. I must build a starmap with the starnames. For Example alpha Gemini, but the word alpha must be a greek letter. The rest ist normal text.

By Gimppimpf

Hi togehter,

sorry, but the trick dont work. See picture. Any Idea, what is wrong?

It must be (alpha) Castor.p

By GP

Ofnuts
2014-05-17 17:51:29 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

On 16/05/14 09:52, gimppimpf wrote:

Hi Gary,

By Gimppimpf

Hi togehter,

By GP

Attachments: * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/115/original/unicode_problem.jpg

Copy-paste them from elsewhere (Wikipedia must have an entry for the greek alphabet).

Liam R E Quin
2014-05-18 00:50:26 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 09:52 +0200, gimppimpf wrote:

Hi Gary,

By Gimppimpf

Hi togehter,

Are you using Linux? What is your locale setting?

For me, using the Gimp on-canvas text tool,

hold down control and keep it pressed hold down shift and keep it pressed
press 3 and let go
press b and let go
press 1 and let go
let go of control and shift

will insert a lower-case Greek letter alpha (α).

If that doesn't work, gucharmap (gnome character map) will let you copy Greek letters that you can paste into gimp. You can use the right-click menu to paste when the gimp text tool is active.

If you prever, in tool options for the text tool, select "use editor" and paste there instead.

If you are using a mac, windows, or the android or ipad unofficial gimp ports, please say so, as it's hard to guess your environment and these things work differently on different systems.

Best,

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
http://www.holoweb.net/~liam - the barefoot typographer
Noel Stoutenburg
2014-05-18 00:59:50 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

Friends,

Even though I intended to reply through this list, I just noticed that I sent my reply to GP to the email list in his post by mistake. In my response to his post, I suggested verifying that the font that he was trying to use for the label was a unicode implementation. On my windows system, the "True Type" fonts do not have the alpha character he's seeking, because they have no character in slot u03B1, but the Open Type fonts do. .

ns

Liam R E Quin
2014-05-18 01:26:25 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

On Sat, 2014-05-17 at 20:50 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote: [fixed version, sorry!]

press u and let it go (keeping control and shift pressed)

press 3 and let go
press b and let go
press 1 and let go

Sorry for the omission before!

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Akkana Peck
2014-05-18 02:04:17 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

Liam R E Quin writes:

I can't type an alpha either, on Debian Sid, UTF-8, libgtk2 2.24.23-1, git master gimp from a few days ago.

[fixed version, sorry!]

press 3 and let go
press b and let go
press 1 and let go

When I try that, it works up to the b (as soon as I type the u a little window pops up and subsequent digits go there), but it refuses to accept either b or c -- it simply does nothing for those letters, and nothing appears in the little IM window. It will accept digits 0-7 and 9 and a, d, e or f but not 8, b or c. gnome-terminal behaves the same way.

We discussed it on IRC and Liam wondered whether I had some other binding for ctrl-shift-b and c and ctrl-shift-8 -- it's possible, but if so I don't know about it and they don't do anything I can see. I can't find any such bindings in my window manager.

If I right-click in a gtk text entry and look at the Input Methods submenu, the one that's active is "System (Simple)".

I'd be curious whether Gimppimpf is seeing the same thing, with some characters working but not b, c or 8.

I also had trouble pasting an alpha: I tried selecting one in a browser, but middleclick paste doesn't work in gimp's new text tool. In Firefox I was able to ctrl-C and then ctrl-V it into gimp, but that wouldn't work everywhere -- not all apps have a way to copy to the clipboard. I filed a bug (730315) on not being able to paste the primary X selection.

...Akkana

Gary Aitken
2014-05-18 07:23:11 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

I can't type an alpha either, on Debian Sid, UTF-8, libgtk2 2.24.23-1, git master gimp from a few days ago.

[fixed version, sorry!]

press 3 and let go
press b and let go
press 1 and let go

When I try that, it works up to the b (as soon as I type the u a little window pops up and subsequent digits go there), but it refuses to accept either b or c -- it simply does nothing for those letters, and nothing appears in the little IM window. It will accept digits 0-7 and 9 and a, d, e or f but not 8, b or c. gnome-terminal behaves the same way.

We discussed it on IRC and Liam wondered whether I had some other binding for ctrl-shift-b and c and ctrl-shift-8 -- it's possible, but if so I don't know about it and they don't do anything I can see. I can't find any such bindings in my window manager.

It works two different ways on this windoze box (can't test on my fbsd box as I'm rebuilding world now). 1. Release the and after typing 'u'. Then hit after all the hex chars are in. 2. Keep and down until done with hex chars; releasing completes the sequence

Does the problem exist with both methods?

Gary

Michael Schumacher
2014-05-18 16:04:53 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

On 18.05.2014 09:23, Gary Aitken wrote:

It works two different ways on this windoze box (can't test on my fbsd box as I'm rebuilding world now). 1. Release the and after typing 'u'. Then hit after all the hex chars are in. 2. Keep and down until done with hex chars; releasing completes the sequence

For the records:

On any of my Windows systems, either methods works just fine in GIMP.

On my Debian testing system, they work just about everywhere.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Akkana Peck
2014-05-18 23:12:09 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

Gary Aitken writes:

No, only with the second one. The first method works and allows me to enter an alpha. (Can't speak for the original poster.)

...Akkana

Gary Aitken
2014-05-19 03:28:15 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

greek letters

No, only with the second one. The first method works and allows me to enter an alpha. (Can't speak for the original poster.)

That points strongly to there being some sort of keyboard accelerator overriding the input for the characters that don't work, since in the first case after u the characters being typed are "normal" and in the second they have the modifiers as part of the keystroke.

I can think of only three likely place for that to be taking place: 1. Gimp
2. window manager
3. x-server mappings via xmodmap

fwiw, both methods work here on win7 and fbsd.

Does anyone know of any other app that uses u to start a unicode entry? If so, what happens in that app? Or any app where it could be assigned temporarily for testing?

Alternatively, one could try assigning one of the sequences which doesn't work to some gimp function and see if that works. If it works, it would indicate the keystroke was getting to gimp and is not being siphoned off somewhere higher up. If it doesn't work, it doesn't say anything one way or the other.

Gary

2014-05-22 11:22:27 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

greek letters

Copy-paste them from elsewhere (Wikipedia must have an entry for the greek alphabet).

Hi together,

all works fine, my starmap is great. I use the trick to copy the letters from a word-document.

Thanks all for the good help GP