RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with Text Tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with Text Tool RichardGMTaylor 12 May 16:18
  Problem with Text Tool Judah 13 May 20:41
   Problem with Text Tool Judah 13 May 20:50
    Problem with Text Tool RichardGMTaylor 14 May 10:33
     Problem with Text Tool Alexandre Prokoudine 14 May 10:36
      Problem with Text Tool RichardGMTaylor 14 May 12:59
       Problem with Text Tool Partha Bagchi 14 May 21:31
        Problem with Text Tool Shae 18 Nov 00:48
2014-05-12 16:18:55 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Problem with Text Tool

I have just downloaded Gimp 2.8.8 to my Mac with OS X 10.9.2 Maverick and I'm following an online tutorial from Gimp.org and everything seems fine until I try to enter some text. The tutorial shows a Tool Options area appear at the bottom of the Toolbar module on the left side, when clicking on the text icon A. However, when I do this nothing happens. I can locate a another Text box which appears on my canvas area when I go to Tools in the top drop down menu, but I cannot make any changes to the text from there.

I originally installed Gimp 2.8.10 which also had this problem, but then found out from glimpsers.com that I should have Gimp 2.8.8 for my version of OS X, so I deleted the 2.8.10 version and downloaded 2.8.8, but seems to be no difference and the problem is the same.

Can anyone help please?

Judah
2014-05-13 20:41:58 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Problem with Text Tool

Hi Richard

RichardGMTaylor gimpusers.com> writes:

I have just downloaded Gimp 2.8.8 to my Mac with OS X 10.9.2 Maverick and I'm following an online tutorial from Gimp.org and everything seems fine until

I try

to enter some text. The tutorial shows a Tool Options area appear at the

bottom

of the Toolbar module on the left side, when clicking on the text icon A.

I'm not too sure how much GIMP differs from my linux version and the OSX version you use.

However, when I do this nothing happens. I can locate a another Text box which appears on my canvas area when I go to Tools in the top drop down menu, but I cannot make any changes to the text from there.

I seldom use text in GIMP but when I do a simple click and type doesn't work, although when I click on the canvas I have a box thingy divided in four, when I use my mouse to drag any of those corners/quarters, usually the bottom right one, my text area is immediately enlarged and I can type to my hearts content.

I made a quick gif for you to see how I do it :) hopefully it helps. http://postimg.org/image/udc0mdsjt/

Judah
2014-05-13 20:50:09 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Problem with Text Tool

whoops. wrong link sorry bout that..

I try

to enter some text. The tutorial shows a Tool Options area appear at the

bottom

of the Toolbar module on the left side, when clicking on the text icon A.

I'm not too sure how much GIMP differs from my linux version and the OSX version you use.

http://s17.postimg.org/untz8vjdr/gimp_textscrot.gif

The above link should take you to the correct image, at least you get a free wallpaper with the previous link. :D

2014-05-14 10:33:31 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Problem with Text Tool

Thanks Judah, what you suggest ok, but without the text preferences panel in the left panel, it's not possible to change the text away from the default size, font, colour etc...

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-05-14 10:36:56 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Problem with Text Tool

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM, RichardGMTaylor wrote:

Thanks Judah, what you suggest ok, but without the text preferences panel in the left panel, it's not possible to change the text away from the default size, font, colour etc...

Au contraire. Type some text in, select in, change its settings in the floating panel.

Alexandre

2014-05-14 12:59:50 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Problem with Text Tool

Au contraire. Type some text in, select in, change its settings in the floating panel.

Alexandre

Thanks Alexandre, that works, but I'm still unhappy about the software not working as shown in the various tutorials I've read and watched.

Thanks again

Partha Bagchi
2014-05-14 21:31:44 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Problem with Text Tool

There was a huge change between 2.6 and 2.8. Did you make sure that you are reading current tutorial? Have you checked the documentation?

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:59 AM, RichardGMTaylor wrote:

Alexandre

Thanks Alexandre, that works, but I'm still unhappy about the software not working as shown in the various tutorials I've read and watched.

Thanks again

-- RichardGMTaylor (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2015-11-18 00:48:50 UTC (over 8 years ago)
postings

Problem with Text Tool

I know this thread is old news, but maybe this will help someone. I had this problem too and ended up accidentally solving it by double-clicking on the font icon in the toolbox.

Shae