RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Blender Foundation style 'open graphics project' with GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Blender Foundation style 'open graphics project' with GIMP? Danyl Strype 17 Apr 18:25
  Blender Foundation style 'open graphics project' with GIMP? Crs Mrn 17 Apr 21:06
Danyl Strype
2014-04-17 18:25:31 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Greetings

I'd just like to suggest that GIMP develop a program of engagement with artists along the lines of what the Blender Foundation are doing with their open movie projects:
http://www.blender.org/features/projects/

The open movie's are both a chance to showcase the beautiful work that can be done with Blender, and a way to focus development on new features, and harvest feedback from users about ways the UX can be improved.

From reading the summaries at the link above, it seems that each project involved setting some ambitious goals for what the software needed to be able to do, and working with an arts organisation to set an artistic challenge. The resulting artwork is then heavily promoted, as a way of bringing attention to the software and its capabilities, and copies can be sold or used as rewards in crowdfunding campaigns.

Just a thought.

Danyl Strype
Community Developer
Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'
Crs Mrn
2014-04-17 21:06:37 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Yes...I think that, if the Gimp community would collaborate with Blender community...it would be benefic for everyone. I am myself a Blender user, and I use Gimp for texturing. If Gimp could help Blender users, then, there would be automaticly a raise in Gimp development speed, because more and more devs will get interested. Gimp should support some special tools for texturing UV maps, as well as a Blender-Gimp dual plugin that makes the workflow between these softwares easier. I think Gimp community should support Blender community, and find a way to get more known in there. Blender community would also support Gimp... and, with a great development flow comes evolution.
În data de 17.04.2014 21:43, "Danyl Strype" a scris:

Greetings

I'd just like to suggest that GIMP develop a program of engagement with artists along the lines of what the Blender Foundation are doing with their open movie projects:
http://www.blender.org/features/projects/

The open movie's are both a chance to showcase the beautiful work that can be done with Blender, and a way to focus development on new features, and harvest feedback from users about ways the UX can be improved.

From reading the summaries at the link above, it seems that each project involved setting some ambitious goals for what the software needed to be able to do, and working with an arts organisation to set an artistic challenge. The resulting artwork is then heavily promoted, as a way of bringing attention to the software and its capabilities, and copies can be sold or used as rewards in crowdfunding campaigns.

Just a thought.

-- Danyl Strype
Community Developer
Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture." - .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into - what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death' _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list