RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

recording changes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

recording changes Gary Aitken 06 Apr 02:52
  recording changes scl 06 Apr 05:12
  recording changes Alexandre Prokoudine 06 Apr 08:00
   recording changes Gary Aitken 09 Apr 01:26
Gary Aitken
2014-04-06 02:52:31 UTC (about 10 years ago)

recording changes

I'm frustrated by large storage requirements for xcf files resulting from processing many jpg image files. The processing is typically pretty simple, crop, curves, with no touch up. I don't mind the xcf size for images which required a lot of detail work, but it's crazy for the majority of them. Things which a raw processor encodes in a few KB turn into 60 MB; an 8x factor over the original file size.

Are there any plugins, or is any work being done / planned, on some means to save (even a selected set of) operations so the result can be reconstructed from the original? It would save me many GB of space.

Gary

scl
2014-04-06 05:12:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

recording changes

On 06.04.2014 at 04:52 A.M Gary Aitken wrote

I'm frustrated by large storage requirements for xcf files resulting from processing many jpg image files. [...]

Are there any plugins, or is any work being done / planned, on some means to save (even a selected set of) operations so the result can be reconstructed from the original? It would save me many GB of space.

Hi,

besides the original payload data (here: image information) every file format contains
additional technical information for the application's internal use. This explains it from a
technical point of view. From a user's point of view: yes, you are right. Thank you for pointing it out.

As far as I know there's at least a chance for improvement with the switch to GEGL in GIMP 2.10.
GEGL is a graphics library for non-destructive image editing. This means it internally stores the set
of processing commands instead of bulks of image data. User of RAW photo processors know
this as 'receipt'. Indeed, such a receipt can be stored in a very small file.
GEGL itself (separately from GIMP) stores receipts in XML files. For more information about a new,
GEGL-based file format for GIMP Mitch could be able to tell more.

Kind regards,

Sven

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-04-06 08:00:50 UTC (about 10 years ago)

recording changes

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Gary Aitken wrote:

I'm frustrated by large storage requirements for xcf files resulting from processing many jpg image files. The processing is typically pretty simple, crop, curves, with no touch up. I don't mind the xcf size for images which required a lot of detail work, but it's crazy for the majority of them. Things which a raw processor encodes in a few KB turn into 60 MB; an 8x factor over the original file size.

Gary,

We don't like it either, which is why it's planned for the future. Some foundation has already been laid for that in the code, but it will take time. As we are volunteers, not paid developers, we can't tell you, when this will be available for end-users.

Alexandre

Gary Aitken
2014-04-09 01:26:35 UTC (about 10 years ago)

recording changes

On 04/06/14 02:00, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Gary Aitken wrote:

We don't like it either, which is why it's planned for the future. Some foundation has already been laid for that in the code, but it will take time. As we are volunteers, not paid developers, we can't tell you, when this will be available for end-users.

Thanks for the info, Alexandre. I understand the volunteer issue. I'm not complaining, just wanted to know what the current situation was. Was hoping it was in the pipe for a specific release.

Thanks to the gimp team for all your work.

Gary