RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Jeffery Small 05 Apr 02:43
  Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Gary Aitken 05 Apr 03:34
  Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Alexander Rabtchevich 05 Apr 05:34
   Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Jeffery Small 05 Apr 08:31
    Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Alexander Rabtchevich 05 Apr 08:55
     Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Jeffery Small 05 Apr 19:11
      CAOW9c=-oDGLg-FUduta0b-rL8T... 05 Apr 20:15
       Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Jeffery Small 05 Apr 20:11
        CAOW9c=-xG8jCtTbVLn8=Yo-Fcp... 06 Apr 02:04
         Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Jeffery Small 06 Apr 02:00
          Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Partha Bagchi 06 Apr 03:08
        Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Patrick Shanahan 05 Apr 20:38
        Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Partha Bagchi 05 Apr 21:05
        Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Gary Aitken 05 Apr 23:38
      Problem importing raw Minolta and Sony files Partha Bagchi 05 Apr 20:01
Jeffery Small
2014-04-05 02:43:10 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Ubuntu 13.10 system running on an Asus U56E system UFRaw ver. 0.19.2
Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

I reported on this a long while ago and then got very busy with other things. This is a follow-up with details.

When attempting to load Minolta (mrw) and Sony (arw) raw image files into GIMP, UFRaw is not properly processing them. The following webpage has images which demonstrate the problem:

http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/index.html

The raw files are being imported with distorted color and contrast. However, as the additional images show, other programs such as Darktable and Shotwell are importing and displaying these files properly.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems, and is there any known solution?

Regards.

Gary Aitken
2014-04-05 03:34:16 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 04/04/14 20:43, Jeffery Small wrote:

Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

I reported on this a long while ago and then got very busy with other things. This is a follow-up with details.

When attempting to load Minolta (mrw) and Sony (arw) raw image files into GIMP, UFRaw is not properly processing them. The following webpage has images which demonstrate the problem:

The raw files are being imported with distorted color and contrast. However, as the additional images show, other programs such as Darktable and Shotwell are importing and displaying these files properly.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar problems, and is there any known solution?

This is kind of a shot in the dark. I don't know anything about shotwell, and not much about darktable. But I know darktable automatically applies an exposure correction curve to the raw file when it imports it, and ufraw does not (unless you set one as the default). You might look at the exposure correction curve darktable applies and see what it looks like when you apply a similar curve in ufraw. There may be other automagic things darktable does in regards to color; not sure.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2014-04-05 05:34:24 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Hello.

Darktable applies RGB camera curve, uses "enhanced" camera color matrix and applies a little sharpening by default.

Jeffery Small wrote:

Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

Regards.

With respect,
Alexander Rabtchevich

Jeffery Small
2014-04-05 08:31:34 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Gary Aitken and Alexander Rabtchevich suggest that Darktable (and possibly Shotwell) are applying corrections that improve the display of the raw image. This is true, but in Darktable you can select the "0 - original" image without the sharpening and curve correction and the image is still very presentable, unlike anything that UFRaw is presenting. I can open the raw images using the software provided by Minolta and Sony and the images look fine, but these tools run only on Windows and I really want the GIMP plug-in feature that UFRaw provides.

After opening in UFRaw, the initial settings are so bad that I am unable to correct the picture to create anything close to a usable image.

Are other Minolta/Sony users seeing similar results, and don't Cannon, Nikon and other raw-file users see reasonable images when they use UFRaw?

Darktable applies RGB camera curve, uses "enhanced" camera color matrix and applies a little sharpening by default.

Jeffery Small wrote:

Dcraw ver. 9.19.1
GIMP ver. 2.8.6
Darktable ver. 1.2.3
Shotwell ver. 0.15.0

Regards.

With respect,
Alexander Rabtchevich

Alexander Rabtchevich
2014-04-05 08:55:37 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would made with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar result...

Jeffery Small wrote:

Gary Aitken and Alexander Rabtchevich suggest that Darktable (and possibly Shotwell) are applying corrections that improve the display of the raw image. This is true, but in Darktable you can select the "0 - original" image without the sharpening and curve correction and the image is still very presentable, unlike anything that UFRaw is presenting. I can open the raw images using the software provided by Minolta and Sony and the images look fine, but these tools run only on Windows and I really want the GIMP plug-in feature that UFRaw provides.

After opening in UFRaw, the initial settings are so bad that I am unable to correct the picture to create anything close to a usable image.

Are other Minolta/Sony users seeing similar results, and don't Cannon, Nikon and other raw-file users see reasonable images when they use UFRaw?

With respect,
Alexander Rabtchevich

Jeffery Small
2014-04-05 19:11:52 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Alexander Rabtchevich writes:

When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would made with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar result...

It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over exposed, but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. The original image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture was shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I shoot RAW+JPG). In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture as most of the image detail is already lost. When I open the same file in the DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have reported it as such. I'm just confused that I have not heard other people complaining about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

Partha Bagchi
2014-04-05 20:01:25 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Can you provide an example image to confirm this?

Thanks, Partha

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over exposed, but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. The original image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture was shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I shoot RAW+JPG). In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture as most of the image detail is already lost. When I open the same file in the DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have reported it as such. I'm just confused that I have not heard other people complaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Jeffery Small
2014-04-05 20:11:26 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Partha Bagchi writes:

Sure. Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern Sony format and pretty dramatically shows the loss of information. Point your browser here:

http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/clouds.arw

and save the image. This is a 24-Mb image file taken with an Alpha a77 camera.

Thanks for looking at this. Let me know if I can provide any additional info.

Regards,
--
Jeff

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have reported it as such. I'm just confused that I have not heard other people complaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can you provide an example image to confirm this?= Thanks,ParthaOn Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery S= mall <jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
Alexander Rabtchevich <alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net> wr= ites:

>When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any

>corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made=

>by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would mad= e
>with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a=

>camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar=

>result...

It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over expo= sed,
but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The original image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture was shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I shoot RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture as most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same file in t= he
DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the

raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have reported=

it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other people com= plaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

List address: =A0 =A0gimp-user-=
list@gnome.org
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use= r-list
List archives: =A0 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee--

Patrick Shanahan
2014-04-05 20:38:35 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

* Jeffery Small [04-05-14 16:15]:

Partha Bagchi writes:

Sure. Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern Sony format and pretty dramatically shows the loss of information. Point your browser here:

Regards,
--
Jeff

about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Can you provide an example image to confirm this?= Thanks,ParthaOn Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery S= mall <jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
Alexander Rabtchevich <alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net> wr= ites:

>When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any

>corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made=

>by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would mad= e
>with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a=

>camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar=

>result...

It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over expo= sed,
but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The original image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture was shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I shoot RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture as most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same file in t= he
DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have reported=

it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other people com= plaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

List address: =A0 =A0gimp-user-=
list@gnome.org
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use= r-list
List archives: =A0 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

The image provided when opened with auto whitebalance displays a heavy magenta cast but looks quite average when daylight whitebalance is applied and even better when exposure is pushed to ~2.0. Perhaps you have some screen color correction or other saved parameter skewing ufraw.

I see no particular problem besides a lot of un-needed html bloating a text function.

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Partha Bagchi
2014-04-05 21:05:03 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Can you also put the jpg you shot since that tells me what you are expecting to see?

As an aside you may want to visit Dave Coffin's page and read the FAQ especially about gamma and linearity.

Thanks, Partha

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

Partha Bagchi writes:

Regards,
--
Jeff

When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would

made

with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar result...

It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over

exposed,

but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. The original image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture

was

shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I

shoot

RAW+JPG). In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture

as

most of the image detail is already lost. When I open the same file in

the

DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.

So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have

reported

it as such. I'm just confused that I have not heard other people complaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

Can you provide an example image to confirm

this?=

Thanks,Partha

class=3D"gmail_extra">

br>On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery

S=

mall <

target=3D"_blan=

k">jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
margin:0 0 0

.8ex;border-left:1p=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Alexander Rabtchevich <

href=3D"mailto:=

alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net">alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net>

wr=

ites:

>When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying

any

>corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was

made=

>by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would

mad=

e
>with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw

a=

>camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the

similar=

>result...

expo=

sed,
but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The

original

br>
image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture

was

r>

shoot

br>
RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right

edge

br>
of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture

as

br>
most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same file in

t=

he
DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine),

the

reported=

it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other people

com=

plaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

List address: =A0 =A0mailto:gimp-user-list@gnome.org

">gimp-user-=

list@gnome.org
List membership:

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-us=

er-list" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use=

r-list
List archives: =A0

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-lis=

t" target=3D"_blank">https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Gary Aitken
2014-04-05 23:38:53 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Looks like a normal image when opened here (fbsd, ufraw 0.19.2). Underexposed, but can be brought up to 1.49 w/out any overexposure blinkies. Clouds have lots of definition. WB (Camera WB) looks fine. A little *tiny* bit of purple fringing; I'd be delighted if all mine had that little.

You don't have the color profile, gamma, and linearity set to something strange, do you? If I set to no profile, gamma=0.45, linearity 0.1 all looks good.

Jeffery Small
2014-04-06 02:00:05 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Partha Bagchi writes:

Can you also put the jpg you shot since that tells me what you are expecting to see?

As an aside you may want to visit Dave Coffin's page and read the FAQ especially about gamma and linearity.

The jpg images look very much like what you see in the Darktable images provided on the webpage.

Antonio Montagnani and Patrick Shanahan also provided feedback regarding loading my test image into UFRaw. Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I admit to certainly not being well versed in using UFRaw and appreciate all the pointers being provided.

One thing I had missed before but do see now, is a warning symbol next to the white balance button. This does not appear for the Minolta .mrw images but seems to always display for the Sony .arw files. When you hover over it, it states "Cannot use camera white balance." That is why Auto is being selected in place of "Daylight". It makes me wonder what other raw file data is not being processed by UFRaw for these types of files? And I wonder if there is something particularly amiss with the Ubuntu build of UFRaw on my system? When others load the sample file, are you seeing a better image than the one I have posted, prior to making any corrections? When you load other types of raw images, does UFRaw display them close to the accurate (i.e., camera) settings? If so, what version of UFRaw and what type of system/OS are you using?

Thanks again for all the valuable help.

Regards,

Jeff

>On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Jeffery Small  wrote:

>> Partha Bagchi  writes:
>>
>> >Can you provide an example image to confirm this?
>>
>> Sure.  Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern Sony format and
>> pretty dramatically shows the loss of information.  Point your browser
>> here:
>>
>> http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/clouds.arw
>>
>> and save the image.  This is a 24-Mb image file taken with an Alpha a77
>> camera.
>>
>> Thanks for looking at this.  Let me know if I can provide any additional
>> info.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Jeff
>>
>> >On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery Small  wrote:
>>
>> >> Alexander Rabtchevich  writes:
>> >>
>> >> >When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any
>> >> >corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was made
>> >> >by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would
>> made
>> >> >with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw a
>> >> >camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the similar
>> >> >result...
>> >>
>> >> It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over
>> exposed,
>> >> but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data.  The original
>> >> image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture
>> was
>> >> shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I
>> shoot
>> >> RAW+JPG).  In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right edge
>> >> of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture
>> as
>> >> most of the image detail is already lost.  When I open the same file in
>> the
>> >> DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), the
>> >> raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.
>> >>
>> >> So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have
>> reported
>> >> it as such.  I'm just confused that I have not heard other people
>> >> complaining
>> >> about this problem.
>> >>
>> >> Regards,
>> >> --
>> >> Jeff
>> >>
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> gimp-user-list mailing list
>> >> List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org
>> >> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
>> >> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>> >>
>>
>> >--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee
>> >Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> >Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>>
>> >
Can you provide an example image to confirm >> this?

= >> >
Thanks,
Partha
> class=3D"gmail_extra">> >br>
On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery >> S= >> >mall <> target=3D"_blan= >> >k">jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
>> >
Alexander Rabtchevich <> href=3D"mailto:= >> >alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net">alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net> >> wr= >> >ites:
>> >> >
>> >>When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying >> any> >> >> >>corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was >> made= >> >
>> >>by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would >> mad= >> >e
>> >>with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin UFRaw >> a= >> >
>> >>camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the >> similar= >> >
>> >>result...
>> >
>> >It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly over >> expo= >> >sed,
>> >but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The >> original> >br> >> >image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture >> was> >r> >> >shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I >> shoot> >br> >> >RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right >> edge> >br> >> >of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture >> as> >br> >> >most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same file in >> t= >> >he
>> >DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), >> the> >> >> >raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.
>> >
>> >So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have >> reported= >> >
>> >it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other people >> com= >> >plaining
>> >about this problem.
>> >
>> >Regards,
>> >--
>> >Jeff
>> >
>> >_______________________________________________
>> >gimp-user-list mailing list
>> >List address: =A0 =A0gimp-user-= >> >list@gnome.org
>> >List membership: >> https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use= >> >r-list
>> >List archives: =A0 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list >>
>> >

>> >> >--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee-- >> >> _______________________________________________ >> gimp-user-list mailing list >> List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org >> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list >> List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list >> >--089e01493f10fa279504f651fc6e >Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 >Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable >
Can you also put the jpg you shot since that tells me what= > you are expecting to see?=A0

As an aside you may want t= >o visit Dave Coffin's page and read the FAQ especially about gamma and = >linearity.
>

Thanks,
Partha

class=3D"gmail_extra">

On Sat, Apr 5, 20= >14 at 4:11 PM, Jeffery Small <jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
>
Partha Bagchi <"mailto:partha1b@gmail.com">partha1b@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Can you provide an example image to confirm this?
>
>
Sure. =A0Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern Son= >y format and
>pretty dramatically shows the loss of information. =A0Point your browser he= >re:
>
>http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/clouds.arw
>
>and save the image. =A0This is a 24-Mb image file taken with an Alpha a77r> >camera.
>
>Thanks for looking at this. =A0Let me know if I can provide any additionalbr> >info.
>
>Regards,
>--
>Jeff
>

>>On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery Small <jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
>
>
>> Alexander Rabtchevich <alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net= >> writes:
>>>
>>> >When you look at an imported image in darktable without applyi= >ng any
>>> >corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which= > was made
>>> >by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) = >would made
>>> >with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyi= >n UFRaw a
>>> >camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see th= >e similar
>>> >result...
>>>
>>> It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly = >over exposed,
>>> but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The = >original
>>> image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the pict= >ure was
>>> shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image = >(I shoot
>>> RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the ri= >ght edge
>>> of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the pi= >cture as
>>> most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same = >file in the
>>> DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine= >), the
>>> raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.
>>>
>>> So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have= > reported
>>> it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other p= >eople
>>> complaining
>>> about this problem.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --
>>> Jeff
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> gimp-user-list mailing list
>>> List address: =A0 =A0g= >imp-user-list@gnome.org
>>> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo= >/gimp-user-list
>>> List archives: =A0 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-lis= >t
>>>
>
>
>--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee
>>Content-Type: text/html; charset=3DISO-8859-1
>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
>><div dir=3D3D"ltr">Can you provide an example image to = >confirm this?<div><br>=3D
>></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Partha</div>= ></div><div class=3D3D"gmail_extra"><=3D
>>br><br><div class=3D3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Ap= >r 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery S=3D
>>mall <span dir=3D3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D3D"m= >ailto:jeff@cjsa.com" target=3D3D&= >quot;_blan=3D
>>k">jeff@cjsa.com</a>= >&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
>><blockquote class=3D3D"gmail_quote" style=3D3D"margin= >:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=3D
>>x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Alexander Rabtchevich &lt;&l= >t;a href=3D3D"mailto:=3D
>>alexander.v.rabtchev= >ich@gmx.net">>alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net</a>&gt; wr=3D
>>ites:<br>
>
>><br>
>>&gt;When you look at an imported image in darktable without applyin= >g any<br=3D
>>>
>>&gt;corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which = >was made=3D
>><br>
>>&gt;by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) w= >ould mad=3D
>>e<br>
>>&gt;with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin= > UFRaw a=3D
>><br>
>>&gt;camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the= > similar=3D
>><br>
>>&gt;result...<br>
>><br>
>>It&#39;s true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly o= >ver expo=3D
>>sed,<br>
>>but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =3DA0The ori= >ginal<=3D
>>br>
>>image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture w= >as<b=3D
>>r>
>>shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I sh= >oot<=3D
>>br>
>>RAW+JPG). =3DA0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right= > edge<=3D
>>br>
>>of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture= > as<=3D
>>br>
>>most of the image detail is already lost. =3DA0When I open the same fil= >e in t=3D
>>he<br>
>>DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine), th= >e<br=3D
>>>
>>raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.<br>
>><br>
>>So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have repo= >rted=3D
>><br>
>>it as such. =3DA0I&#39;m just confused that I have not heard other = >people com=3D
>>plaining<br>
>>about this problem.<br>
>><br>
>>Regards,<br>
>>--<br>
>>Jeff<br>
>><br>
>>_______________________________________________<br>
>>gimp-user-list mailing list<br>
>>List address: =3DA0 =3DA0<a href=3D3D"mailto:gimp-user-list@gnome.org">gimp-user-= >=3D
>>list@gnome.org</a><br>= >;
>>List membership: <a href=3D3D"https://mail.gnome.org/mail= >man/listinfo/gimp-us=3D
>>er-list" target=3D3D"_blank">https://mail.gnom= >e.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use=3D
>>r-list</a><br>
>>List archives: =3DA0 <a href=3D3D"https://mail.gnome.org/ar= >chives/gimp-user-lis=3D
>>t" target=3D3D"_blank">https://mail.gnome.org/archi= >ves/gimp-user-list</a><br>
>></blockquote></div><br></div>
>
>>--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee--
>

>_______________________________________________
>gimp-user-list mailing list
>List address: =A0 =A0gimp-user-= >list@gnome.org
>List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use= >r-list
>List archives: =A0 https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
>

>--089e01493f10fa279504f651fc6e--
Partha Bagchi
2014-04-06 03:08:51 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

I admit I missed your previous image and so apologies I don't know what Darktable shows.

When I processed in UFRaw (version 0.20, my build and part of my Gimp build for Windows 64-bit), It looks fine. I set the exposure to -1.48, White-balance to Daylight.

If I play a little more with the curves, I get results similar to Photoshop CC with ACR 8.3. So, I don't think you are missing anything.

I did process in Gimp 2.9 with UFRaw 16-bit.

Hope that helps.

Partha

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

Partha Bagchi writes:

The jpg images look very much like what you see in the Darktable images provided on the webpage.

Antonio Montagnani and Patrick Shanahan also provided feedback regarding loading my test image into UFRaw. Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I admit to certainly not being well versed in using UFRaw and appreciate all
the pointers being provided.

One thing I had missed before but do see now, is a warning symbol next to the white balance button. This does not appear for the Minolta .mrw images but seems to always display for the Sony .arw files. When you hover over it, it states "Cannot use camera white balance." That is why Auto is being selected in place of "Daylight". It makes me wonder what other raw file data is not being processed by UFRaw for these types of files? And I wonder if there is something particularly amiss with the Ubuntu build of UFRaw on my system? When others load the sample file, are you seeing a better image than the one I have posted, prior to making any corrections? When you load other types of raw images, does UFRaw display them close to the accurate (i.e., camera) settings? If so, what version of UFRaw and what
type of system/OS are you using?

Thanks again for all the valuable help.

Regards, --
Jeff

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

Partha Bagchi writes:

Sure. Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern Sony format

and

pretty dramatically shows the loss of information. Point your browser here:

Regards,
--
Jeff

When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying any corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was

made

by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would

made

with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin

UFRaw a

camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the

similar

result...

exposed,

but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. The

original

was

shoot

RAW+JPG). In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right

edge

of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the

picture

as

most of the image detail is already lost. When I open the same file

in

the

the

reported

it as such. I'm just confused that I have not heard other people complaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership:

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Can you provide an example image to confirm

this?=

Thanks,Partha

class=3D"gmail_extra">

br>On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM,

Jeffery

S=

mall <

target=3D"_blan=

k">jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:
margin:0 0 0

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Alexander Rabtchevich <

alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net">alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net

>

wr=

ites:

>When you look at an imported image in darktable without applying

any

>corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview, which was

made=

>by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera) would

mad=

e
>with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you applyin

UFRaw

a=

>camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see the

similar=

>result...

expo=

sed,
but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =A0The

original

br>

was

r>

shoot

br>
RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the right

edge

br>
of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the picture

as

br>
most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the same file

in

t=

he

the

reported=

it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other people

com=

plaining
about this problem.

Regards,
--
Jeff

">gimp-user-=

list@gnome.org
List membership:

r-list

--089e01493f10fa279504f651fc6e

Can you also put the jpg you shot since that tells me

what=

you are expecting to see?=A0As an aside you may want

t=

o visit Dave Coffin's page and read the FAQ especially about gamma

and =

linearity.

Thanks,ParthaOn Sat, Apr 5,

20=

14 at 4:11 PM, Jeffery Small <mailto:

jeff@c=

jsa.com" target=3D"_blank">jeff@cjsa.com> wrote: margin:0 0 0

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Partha Bagchi <

href=3D=

"mailto:partha1b@gmail.com">partha1b@gmail.com> writes:

>Can you provide an example image to confirm this?

Sure. =A0Let's use the clouds photo since it is a more modern

Son=

y format and
pretty dramatically shows the loss of information. =A0Point your browser

he=

re:

target=3D"=

_blank">http://smallthoughts.com/photos/misc/GIMP/clouds.arw

and save the image. =A0This is a 24-Mb image file taken with an Alpha

a77

r>
camera.

Thanks for looking at this. =A0Let me know if I can provide any

additional

br>
info.

Regards,
--
Jeff

>On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery Small <mailto:

jef=

f@cjsa.com">jeff@cjsa.com> wrote:

>> Alexander Rabtchevich <

href=3D"=

mailto:alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net">alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net

=

> writes:
>>
>> >When you look at an imported image in darktable without

applyi=

ng any
>> >corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview,

which=

was made
>> >by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the

camera) =

would made
>> >with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you

applyi=

n UFRaw a
>> >camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see

th=

e similar
>> >result...
>>
>> It's true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is

terribly =

over exposed,
>> but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data.

=A0The =

original
>> image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the

pict=

ure was
>> shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG

image =

(I shoot
>> RAW+JPG). =A0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the

ri=

ght edge
>> of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the

pi=

cture as
>> most of the image detail is already lost. =A0When I open the

same =

file in the
>> DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP

machine=

), the
>> raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked. >>
>> So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I

have=

reported
>> it as such. =A0I'm just confused that I have not heard other

p=

eople
>> complaining
>> about this problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Jeff
>>
>> _______________________________________________ >> gimp-user-list mailing list >> List address: =A0 =A0mailto:gimp-user-list@gnome.org

">g=

imp-user-list@gnome.org
>> List membership:

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinf=

o/gimp-user-list" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo=

/gimp-user-list
>> List archives: =A0

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp=

-user-list" target=3D"_blank">

t
>>

>--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee >Content-Type: text/html; charset=3DISO-8859-1 >Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

><div dir=3D3D"ltr">Can you provide an example image

to =

confirm this?<div><br>=3D

></div><div>Thanks,</div><div>Partha</div>= </div><div class=3D3D"gmail_extra"><=3D >br><br><div class=3D3D"gmail_quote">On Sat,

Ap=

r 5, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Jeffery S=3D >mall <span dir=3D3D"ltr">&lt;<a

href=3D3D"m=

ailto:jeff@cjsa.com"

target=3D3D&=

quot;_blan=3D
>k">jeff@cjsa.com

</a>=

&gt;</span> wrote:<br> ><blockquote class=3D3D"gmail_quote"

style=3D3D"margin=

:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1p=3D
>x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Alexander Rabtchevich

&lt;&l=

t;a href=3D3D"mailto:=3D
>mailto:alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net

">alexander.v.rabtchev=

ich@gmx.net">mailto:

alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net"=

alexander.v.rabtchevich@gmx.net</a>&gt; wr=3D

>ites:<br>

><br> >&gt;When you look at an imported image in darktable without

applyin=

g any<br=3D
>>
>&gt;corrections, the program shows you the embedded preview,

which =

was made=3D
><br>
>&gt;by the camera itself with all the corrections it (the camera)

w=

ould mad=3D
>e<br>
>&gt;with the original RAW when converting it to jpg. If you

applyin=

UFRaw a=3D
><br>
>&gt;camera curve, similar to the one in darktable, you will see

the=

similar=3D
><br>
>&gt;result...<br>
><br>
>It&#39;s true that the lion image imported into UFRaw is terribly

o=

ver expo=3D
>sed,<br>
>but that is something that UFRaw is doing to the raw data. =3DA0The

ori=

ginal<=3D
>br>
>image has proper exposure which was confirmed at the time the picture

w=

as<b=3D
>r>
>shot as well as the proper exposure from the companion JPEG image (I

sh=

oot<=3D
>br>
>RAW+JPG). =3DA0In UFRaw the histogram is shoved completely to the

right=

edge<=3D
>br>
>of the spectrum and there is no way to use this tool to fix the

picture=

as<=3D
>br>
>most of the image detail is already lost. =3DA0When I open the same

fil=

e in t=3D
>he<br>
>DiMAGE Image Viewer software from Minolta (on a Windows XP machine),

th=

e<br=3D
>>
>raw image looks just fine and can be tweaked.<br> ><br>
>So I have to assume that this is a serious bug in UFRaw and I have

repo=

rted=3D
><br>
>it as such. =3DA0I&#39;m just confused that I have not heard

other =

people com=3D
>plaining<br>
>about this problem.<br>
><br>
>Regards,<br>
>--<br>
>Jeff<br>
><br>
>_______________________________________________<br> >gimp-user-list mailing list<br> >List address: =3DA0 =3DA0<a href=3D3D"mailto:

gimp-user-list@gnome.org">gimp-user-list@gnome.org

">gimp-user-=

=3D
>list@gnome.org

</a><br>=

;
>List membership: <a href=3D3D"

https://mail.gnome.org=

/mailman/listinfo/gimp-us=3D" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.org/mail=

man/listinfo/gimp-us=3D
>er-list" target=3D3D"_blank">

https://mail.=

gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use=3D" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnom=

e.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-use=3D >r-list</a><br>
>List archives: =3DA0 <a href=3D3D"

https://mail.gnome=

.org/archives/gimp-user-lis=3D" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.org/ar=

chives/gimp-user-lis=3D
>t" target=3D3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.=

org/archives/gimp-user-list" target=3D"_blank">

https://mail.gnome.org/archi=

ves/gimp-user-list</a><br> ></blockquote></div><br></div>

>--001a11c2ef8064e2f704f65119ee--

">gimp-user-=

list@gnome.org
List membership:

r-list

--089e01493f10fa279504f651fc6e--