RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Quickest way to draw a red rectangle around a screenshot image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Quickest way to draw a red rectangle around a screenshot image Keith Christian 31 Mar 14:23
  Quickest way to draw a red rectangle around a screenshot image Ofnuts 31 Mar 17:37
Keith Christian
2014-03-31 14:23:47 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

While I normally use GIMP on Linux, I installed Gimp for Windows 2.8.0 on my Windows 7 machine at work some time ago. I use GIMP a lot for screenshots and reducing those screenshots to gray scale to take up less space when I send a partial screenshot through email.

Works great, however, I'd like some help in knowing the fastest route to enclosing parts of screenshots with a 2 - 3 pixel red transparent rectangle. Sometimes I use Windows' "Snipping tool" to do this, or pasting into PowerPoint for annotation.....but, I'd rather do it all with the GIMP. Web link or concise instructions will be appreciated.

Adding an arrow or two, (and perhaps a text box) would be nice to know how to do also, if this is something that the GIMP is the right tool for. It's definitely the right tool for screenshots!

Thanks.

Keith

Ofnuts
2014-03-31 17:37:53 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

On 03/31/2014 04:23 PM, Keith Christian wrote:

While I normally use GIMP on Linux, I installed Gimp for Windows 2.8.0 on my Windows 7 machine at work some time ago. I use GIMP a lot for screenshots and reducing those screenshots to gray scale to take up less space when I send a partial screenshot through email.

Works great, however, I'd like some help in knowing the fastest route to enclosing parts of screenshots with a 2 - 3 pixel red transparent rectangle. Sometimes I use Windows' "Snipping tool" to do this, or pasting into PowerPoint for annotation.....but, I'd rather do it all with the GIMP. Web link or concise instructions will be appreciated.

Adding an arrow or two, (and perhaps a text box) would be nice to know how to do also, if this is something that the GIMP is the right tool for. It's definitely the right tool for screenshots!

1) For rectangle, just make a rectangle selection (with or without rounded corners) and then Edit>Stroke selection. This also works with an ellipse selection. Something I often do instead of the red outline is to invert the selection, and then de-saturate, de-contrast, dim, and blur slightly (2px) the rest of the screenshot. Another solution is to create a gradient which is mostly transparent except a bit of color at one end, and then use it to fill the selection with a shaped gradient.

2) For arrows, I create clean lines (straight ones or curves) with the Path tool, then run a script of mine to add arrow heads(*), and stroke the result.

(*)
http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/decorations.shtml#path-arrow-heads