RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2.1 fileselector

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2.1 fileselector Carol Spears 03 Sep 21:06
Carol Spears
2004-09-03 21:06:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

2.1 fileselector

hi,

i am trying to make a mockup of how to make the fileselector in gimp-2.1 more useful and was trying to find the participants in the old thread...

inadvertantly some of this email was sent to this list inspite of the fact that i typed at the top "off-list" which, lord knows, i am in no position to complain about.

just to keep everything in public as it is, i changed the topic and am forwarding my response.

it is difficult to lose ability to humor people who never understood it to begin with. this thread should be all about that.

the unfortunate matter that my mockup is not completed yet -- well, i will try to hurry on this. the email became public during the research stage.

it will be nice to show gimp users who come from a windows background what linux has always been able to do for a long long time, and khiraly has sort of volunteered to be the person to first learn this.

carol

To: khiraly Subject: mockup was Re: [Gimp-user] Path tool question

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:18:17PM +0200, khiraly wrote:

2004-09-03, p keltez?ssel 19:07-kor Carol Spears ezt ?rta:

it has been several months now, and i am trying to remember who it was from this list who was so *helpful* at showing me that the buttons on the new file selector actually were the divisions between directories. was this you?

Yes, I have made a little mockup, but noone have found interesting. Here you can find my mockup:
http://www.pvvbitech.hu/fotok/openDialog/openDialog.png http://www.pvvbitech.hu/fotok/openDialog/openDialog.xcf

thanks for your quick response. i am lazy to search my inbox and was uncertain of the month or the subject or the sender. my memory can be reliable except i cannot rely on this.

it has been several months now,

Sorry, I send time to time some mails to the list, but just someone have arrived to it. I have this difficulty only with gimpuser and gimp-dev. I dont know where come this problem (from berkeley.edu or gmx.net or my ISPs smtp vnet.hu). So I didnt resend my mails because of flooding (maybe everybody have received except me;)

well, i read it immediately then. i was sort of frustrated with the email because i knew that each button represents a different directory in the chain of directories that gets you to the one you are actually working on. also, i decided to actually use this file selector before forming too much of an opinion on it.

in the time between your mockup and now i have actually met the developers involved with this redesign even.

i am now glad of your mockup as i can expand it to actually teach things about the beauty and power of the linux commandline for those people who do not know what can happen at each of those "/" marks you put in your mockup to demonstrate how things work. for my mockup, i need to put a text entry box inbetween each of the buttons and after the slash that you thoughtfully put there.

it is nice to be able to show what your computer is capable of.

perhaps i am in a unique position with my photography that many people have shared their photos with me and allowed me to use them on my website so i am drawing my mockup from a different sort of experience.

did you know that with the old file selector if you type the first character in a file you are searching for that only files starting with this character will be displayed? dont worry if you didnt; i figure many of the newer gimp users (especially if they came to gimp with experience from a different os) did not know this.

this new file selector is not linux like in its smarts and ability to handle shared files and such.

The other mailing-lists, where Im subscribed; work without any problem(dxr3-dev, freevo-users, freevo-dev, linuxwacom-discuss, gnome, gnome-dev, dcgui-qt, mplayer-felhasznalok, wine-bugs, css, fontconf, oohu, openoffice-felhasznalok, perl-hu, texnh, magyarispell, etc, etc)

this is a lot of mail lists and a lot of windows emulating software. perhaps you could try what i was saying about the older file selector (still available on gimp-2.0) and allow me to introduce you to the power of the linux commandline as it is reflected in gimp.

as i said, i read your email immediately. i am only involved in the new chix mail list and cairo and the gimp ones. so, it is nice you have time to help us gimp users understand what the new buttons mean. allow me to help you see the power of the commandline.

thanks again, carol

----- End forwarded message -----