RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity? Elle Stone 23 Feb 17:15
  keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity? scl 23 Feb 20:20
   keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity? Elle Stone 23 Feb 22:04
    keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity? scl 24 Feb 04:58
   keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity? Richard 24 Feb 01:52
Elle Stone
2014-02-23 17:15:40 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"Layer/Mask/Show mask" let's you see the layer mask at 100% opacity. Is there a way to set up a keyboard shortcut to show the layer mask without having to traverse the menu? And can the layer mask be shown at less than 100% opacity, so the underlying image is partially visible?

Elle

scl
2014-02-23 20:20:38 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi Elle,

On 23.2.2014 at 6:15 PM Elle Stone wrote:

"Layer/Mask/Show mask" let's you see the layer mask at 100% opacity. Is there a way to set up a keyboard shortcut to show the layer mask without having to traverse the menu?

By default there is no keyboard shortcut for this. But you can assign one:

1. In Linux (and Windows) go to Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts. (On OS X this item is in the GIMP menu).
2. In the Search field enter 'show layer mask'. 3. Assign a shortcut to the action 'show layer mask'.

And can the layer mask be shown at less than 100% opacity, so the underlying image is partially visible?

I don't know of a direct way. You can use an admittedly laborious workaround:

1. Right click on the layer mask. 2. In the layer masks menu choose 'Mask to Selection'. 3. Open the Channels dialog.
4. Add a new channel. In the 'New channel options' dialog check 'Initialize from selection' and set the Fill opacity to your needs. You can later change it by right-clicking on that channel and editing the channel attributes.

Currently the quick mask and the channels have adjustable opacity, but not layer masks and color channels. To me it sounds like a requirement that artists might have more often. We could consider then adding this feature.

Kind regards,

Sven

Elle Stone
2014-02-23 22:04:13 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 02/23/2014 03:20 PM, scl wrote:

Hi Elle,

On 23.2.2014 at 6:15 PM Elle Stone wrote:

"Layer/Mask/Show mask" let's you see the layer mask at 100% opacity. Is there a way to set up a keyboard shortcut to show the layer mask without having to traverse the menu?

By default there is no keyboard shortcut for this. But you can assign one:

1. In Linux (and Windows) go to Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts. (On OS X this item is in the GIMP menu).
2. In the Search field enter 'show layer mask'. 3. Assign a shortcut to the action 'show layer mask'.

And can the layer mask be shown at less than 100% opacity, so the underlying image is partially visible?

Sven, thank you! That works perfectly! Now "M" (formerly move, which isn't something I need a shortcut for) makes the mask appear and disappear, "Y" adds a layer mask, "E" selects/deselects the mask (I hardly ever make an ellipse selection), and "G" calls up gaussian blur for blurring the mask. This has instantly made using Gimp so much less laborious than it was ten minutes ago.

I don't know of a direct way. You can use an admittedly laborious workaround:

1. Right click on the layer mask. 2. In the layer masks menu choose 'Mask to Selection'. 3. Open the Channels dialog.
4. Add a new channel. In the 'New channel options' dialog check 'Initialize from selection' and set the Fill opacity to your needs. You can later change it by right-clicking on that channel and editing the channel attributes.

I came up with a quick workaround, which is to lower the opacity of the layer to 50%. Usually the underlying layer is similar enough to act as a guide for painting on the mask.

Currently the quick mask and the channels have adjustable opacity, but not layer masks and color channels. To me it sounds like a requirement that artists might have more often. We could consider then adding this feature.

Not speaking for the artists out there, but I use masks and layers extensively. The time I spend changing the actual pixels in a layer is usually a pretty small percentage of the time spent painting on the layer mask to control what shows through. So anything that makes it easier to add a mask and work with it is a good thing. The custom keyboard shortcuts really help a lot. So thank you again!

Kind regards,

Sven

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Richard
2014-02-24 01:52:34 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 21:20:38 +0100 From: scl.gplus@gmail.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] keyboard shortcut for show mask? change opacity?

[...]

Kind regards,

Sven

I for my $.02 second that. :)

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

scl
2014-02-24 04:58:32 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,

after the night I've had another idea that could solve both problems better - the Quickmask. This is a quite convenient way to edit and refine a selection by just painting it.

1. On your layer press Q to show the Quickmask. By clicking on the little button left to the image's horizontal scrollbar you can set the opacity of the mask and control whether to show the selected or unselected areas (mask or inverted mask). 2. When you're done, press Q again.
3. Add a layer mask to the layer, choose 'From selection'. You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to it by assigning it to the action 'Add layer mask'. 4. Remove the selection with Ctrl+Shift+A.

The benefits are - it's a convenient and intuitive way to achieve what you want, - much more selection editing capabilities than with the normal Selection tools. You can for instance apply filters like (Gaussian) Blur, Gradient Flare or the Paint/Color/Clone Tools. - you can start right out from a normal selection of the image, - you can apply the known Selection tools to the Quickmask, - if sth. doesn't work on the Quickmask it might work on the layer mask.

The downsides are - you loose your current selection (but can of course save it before to a channel),
- not all Filters and Tools work on the Quickmask. If the Transform tools wouldn't have the floating selection they worked here, too. But you can do it after making a layer mask from it.

On 23.2.2014 at 11:04 PM Elle Stone wrote:

I came up with a quick workaround, which is to lower the opacity of the layer to 50%. Usually the underlying layer is similar enough to act as a guide for painting on the mask.

That's an interesting idea for a workflow. I usually have the layer mask opaque or transparent and paint on the parts I want to have more or less visible.

Greetings,

Sven