RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Perspective tool - Hide original during transform

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Perspective tool - Hide original during transform Kalle Söderman 11 Feb 22:39
  Perspective tool - Hide original during transform Alexandre Prokoudine 12 Feb 07:38
  Perspective tool - Hide original during transform Tobias Jakobs 12 Feb 08:12
   Perspective tool - Hide original during transform Kalle Söderman 12 Feb 20:02
Kalle Söderman
2014-02-11 22:39:21 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,

Long time Gimp user with unresolved problem here. One of the many task I use Gimp for is collaging images of spaces and buildings for work. We have Photoshop licences but I find some of the Gimp workflow better.

I frequently need to correct perspective (or scale for that matter) to match a feature of the underlaying layers. The problem is that a not transformed copy of the object stays in place behind the transform obscuring the underlaying image and preventing accurate transform.

Is there a setting or alternative workflow to achieve what I'm looking for? I created a series of images showing the problem. Unfortunately my simple example usecase can be helped by using the grid but there are similar circumstances when the reference detail is more or less completely hidden by the pre-transform copy of the layer/selection. What you can see however is that the outline of the red rectangle is lost in the background copy.

Anyone else who'd also be very happy for a way of hiding transform matrices?

Regards
/Kalle

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-12 07:38:13 UTC (about 10 years ago)

12 февр. 2014 г. 2:41 пользователь "Kalle Söderman" < kalle.soderman@gmail.com> написал:

Hi,

Long time Gimp user with unresolved problem here. One of the many task I use Gimp for is collaging images of spaces and buildings for work. We have Photoshop licences but I find some of the Gimp workflow better.

I frequently need to correct perspective (or scale for that matter) to match a feature of the underlaying layers. The problem is that a not transformed copy of the object stays in place behind the transform obscuring the underlaying image and preventing accurate transform.

Yes, it's a well-known issue.

Is there a setting or alternative workflow to achieve what I'm looking for?

No, we just need to fix that abomination :)

Alexandre

Tobias Jakobs
2014-02-12 08:12:47 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi Kalle,

there is a simple workaround. Just hide the layer and then transform it. Even for a hidden layer you have the preview during transformation.

Regards, Tobias

2014-02-11 23:39 GMT+01:00 Kalle Sderman :

Hi,

Is there a setting or alternative workflow to achieve what I'm looking for? I created a series of images showing the problem. Unfortunately my simple example usecase can be helped by using the grid but there are similar circumstances when the reference detail is more or less completely hidden by the pre-transform copy of the layer/selection. What you can see however is that the outline of the red rectangle is lost in the background copy.

Anyone else who'd also be very happy for a way of hiding transform matrices?

Regards
/Kalle

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Kalle Söderman
2014-02-12 20:02:00 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 09:12 Wed 12 Feb, Tobias Jakobs wrote:

Hi Kalle,

there is a simple workaround. Just hide the layer and then transform it. Even for a hidden layer you have the preview during transformation.

Regards, Tobias

Ah works quite nicely as you can switch the layer on an off at any time. Thanks for the tip!

/Kalle