RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Beginner question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Beginner question Dave W. Favor 08 Feb 19:22
  Beginner question Alexandre Prokoudine 10 Feb 09:35
   Beginner question Dave W. Favor 10 Feb 13:34
    Beginner question Alexandre Prokoudine 10 Feb 13:42
Dave W. Favor
2014-02-08 19:22:30 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Beginner question

New to GIMP. I want to try and add a simple text on top of a photo. Probably two layers, one with a background photo and one a layer I can type a message on. What tutorial would I read to get started.

Dave

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-10 09:35:35 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Beginner question

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Dave W. Favor wrote:

New to GIMP. I want to try and add a simple text on top of a photo. Probably two layers, one with a background photo and one a layer I can type a message on. What tutorial would I read to get started.

1) Open your photo.
2) Choose Text tool on the left (the T icon). 3) Click on the canvas where you want your text to start 4) Type your text
5) Select it with a mouse, change font, font size etc. 6) Export as JPEG

That is really all :)

Alexandre

Dave W. Favor
2014-02-10 13:34:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Beginner question

Thanks Alexandre, I will get the hang of this. Of course it turns out to be not as simple as I first thought. What we want now is to put a logo on one corner and some text. I have not figured out how to open multiple layers and merge but I did figure out that I can open the logo in a layer, copy it, open my picture and past the logo on my picture. Then I can use the test tool to write my message. Probably a better way to do it. For example I would like to create a layer that has the text, the logo, and be able to just merge with or past onto any photo. I am trying to use some photos I took as a background and put text on them. When I open a new project I cannot figure out how to put objects on it.

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-list [mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces@gnome.org] On Behalf Of Alexandre Prokoudine
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 4:36 AM To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Beginner question

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Dave W. Favor wrote:

New to GIMP. I want to try and add a simple text on top of a photo. Probably two layers, one with a background photo and one a layer I can

type a message on. What tutorial would I read to get started.

1) Open your photo.
2) Choose Text tool on the left (the T icon). 3) Click on the canvas where you want your text to start 4) Type your text
5) Select it with a mouse, change font, font size etc. 6) Export as JPEG

That is really all :)

Alexandre

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-10 13:42:52 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Beginner question

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 5:34 PM, Dave W. Favor wrote:

Thanks Alexandre, I will get the hang of this. Of course it turns out to be not as simple as I first thought. What we want now is to put a logo on one corner and some text. I have not figured out how to open multiple layers

File -> Open As Layer :)

Create separate files for both logo and text in PNG file format with transparent background (it's a setting in the New File dialog). Then use "Open As Layer" and add those two files, then use the Move tool to move those layers around.

Alexandre