RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Wish: Scaling Brushes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Wish: Scaling Brushes Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 15:27
  Wish: Scaling Brushes Michael Schumacher 01 Sep 15:46
  Wish: Scaling Brushes Simon Budig 01 Sep 15:46
   Wish: Scaling Brushes Carol Spears 02 Sep 01:17
    Wish: Scaling Brushes Michael Schumacher 02 Sep 09:12
Wish: Scaling Brushes Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 16:01
  Wish: Scaling Brushes Simon Budig 01 Sep 16:20
Wish: Scaling Brushes Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 16:48
Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 15:27:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

here's another constant peeve of mine when using the Gimp: It is not possible to scale brushes. Instead one has to predefine brushes of all kinds of different sizes which I find to be quite cumbersome.

If I'm mistaken, I'm happy to be corrected. If the feature is really not available: Could that be something for a later version of the Gimp?

Felix

Michael Schumacher
2004-09-01 15:46:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Felix E. Klee wrote:

Hi,

here's another constant peeve of mine when using the Gimp: It is not possible to scale brushes. Instead one has to predefine brushes of all kinds of different sizes which I find to be quite cumbersome.

>

If I'm mistaken, I'm happy to be corrected. If the feature is really not available: Could that be something for a later version of the Gimp?

Depends on the type of the brush - the round and rectangular ones created from within GIMP can be scaled, brushes that are images can't. In current CVS, the number of available shapes has increased a lot, things resembling stars and flowers are now possible.

Note that you can only modify brushes in writeable directories - try to create a new brush (this will put it to your personal brushes directory) and modify the copy.

HTH,
Michael

Simon Budig
2004-09-01 15:46:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Felix E. Klee (felix.klee@inka.de) wrote:

There are "generated brushes" where you can resize them in a dialog, the developer versions of the gimp allow you to bind keyboard shortcuts to resize them as well.

Bye,
Simon

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 16:01:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:46:32 +0200 Michael Schumacher wrote:

Depends on the type of the brush - the round and rectangular ones created from within GIMP can be scaled, brushes that are images can't.

I know that you can resize brushes used by the ink tool. However, I'd like to see similar functionality in other tools, such as airbrush and fuzzy paint. It should be possible to select an brush image and specify a scale factor. To me, that's much more convenient than selecting a different sized brush from the brush selector, let alone creating a new brush of different size. Also, it would be possible to modify the size by very small increments.

Felix

Simon Budig
2004-09-01 16:20:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:46:32 +0200 Michael Schumacher wrote:

Depends on the type of the brush - the round and rectangular ones created from within GIMP can be scaled, brushes that are images can't.

I know that you can resize brushes used by the ink tool.

Who said anything about the ink tool?

Would you please look at the brush dialog, hit the "new" button and fiddle away with your new generated brush?

Just because you don't know of the existance of something that doesn't mean it isn't there.

It probably doesn't cover everything you mention but a lot of. At least in the developers version. The stable version is limited to round brushes.

Bye,
Simon

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 16:48:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:20:26 +0200 Simon Budig wrote:

Would you please look at the brush dialog, hit the "new" button and fiddle away with your new generated brush?

Ah, thanks, I found it now. Yes, that's indeed what I've been looking for. In fact, I usually only use round brushes. Thus, the limitations concerning brush shapes are not a big deal for me.

Felix

Carol Spears
2004-09-02 01:17:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:46:57PM +0200, Simon Budig wrote:

There are "generated brushes" where you can resize them in a dialog, the developer versions of the gimp allow you to bind keyboard shortcuts to resize them as well.

there are some crazy hackers out there who have hooked the brushes up to a new computer toy (called power mate or something) which is supposed to be for audio but allows for rescaling brushes as they are being used.

i dont know where this would be useful, but scalable on the fly brushes are now available to gimp, if you have the proper hardware.

carol

Michael Schumacher
2004-09-02 09:12:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Carol Spears wrote:

i dont know where this would be useful, but scalable on the fly brushes are now available to gimp, if you have the proper hardware.

The proper hardware can be an ordinary keyboard that still has some keys not taken by other shortcuts. Personally, I use ',' and '.' for this.

HTH, Michael