RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 13:08
  Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Sven Neumann 01 Sep 14:29
  Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Andreas Waechter 01 Sep 14:48
Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 13:26
Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 15:02
Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 15:07
Drawing in background color with LMB or RMB Felix E. Klee 01 Sep 15:30
Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 13:08:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

is it possible to configure Gimp so that when pressing the left or middle mouse button, I draw with the background color. Ideally, it should be possible to configure the mouse buttons on a per tool basis, IMHO.

I find extremely tedious to switch between foreground and background colors by hitting "x". I often don't which one is currently activated, and it just doesn't feel natural for me.

Felix

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 13:26:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Ah, I forgot: Gimp 2.0.2 on LINUX. Updates possible.

Maybe what I want could be achieved by configuring the mouse as an additional input device in X11, although I only have one mouse (my Artpad is not here, unfortunately). Sounds weird, eh?

Felix

PS: it just was the first time that I activated the about window in Gimp 2 - looks extremely cool. :)

Sven Neumann
2004-09-01 14:29:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Felix E. Klee" writes:

is it possible to configure Gimp so that when pressing the left or middle mouse button, I draw with the background color.

No, and all mouse buttons are used already. We aren't going to change that.

Sven

Andreas Waechter
2004-09-01 14:48:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Felix E. Klee wrote:

I find extremely tedious to switch between foreground and background colors by hitting "x".

Thanks for mentioning this - I didn't know the x switches fore/background colors.

What I use very often is control key plus left mouse click - it selects the color at the mouse position - thus I can select all the colors already in the image very easily. Maybe this way to change color might "work" for you as well?

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 15:02:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:48:16 +0200 Andreas Waechter wrote:

What I use very often is control key plus left mouse click - it selects the color at the mouse position - thus I can select all the colors already in the image very easily. Maybe this way to change color might "work" for you as well?

Thanks for the hint. But this is still not what I want. If I could activate drawing with background color by holding some modifier key (e.g. shift), then that would be fine.

Felix

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 15:07:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 01 Sep 2004 14:29:04 +0200 Sven Neumann wrote:

is it possible to configure Gimp so that when pressing the left or middle mouse button, I draw with the background color.

No, and all mouse buttons are used already. We aren't going to change that.

This I don't understand. What would be bad about allowing the user to configure the function of the middle mouse button? I'd prefer panning with modifiers + "cursor keys" anyways. Configuration could work for example as follows (just a quick idea):

Middle Mouse Button: Panning
< > Default alternate tool functionality (e.g. drawing with background color when using the ink tool)

Felix

Felix E. Klee
2004-09-01 15:30:31 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:02:43 +0200 Felix E. Klee wrote:

Thanks for the hint. But this is still not what I want. If I could activate drawing with background color by holding some modifier key (e.g. shift), then that would be fine.

Well, I'll just finish that image in XPaint. Here drawing in an alternate color with the middle mouse button is quite simple. Of course, XPaint has many limitations, but for my current purpose (a very simple texture to be used as a decal for a 3D rendering) it does the job just fine.

Felix