RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Simulation of real world painting with Gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Simulation of real world painting with Gimp Thierry Chaverot 04 Feb 03:24
  Simulation of real world painting with Gimp Alexandre Prokoudine 04 Feb 07:46
   Simulation of real world painting with Gimp Thierry Chaverot 04 Feb 12:19
  Simulation of real world painting with Gimp sam tygier 06 Feb 10:39
Thierry Chaverot
2014-02-04 03:24:30 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi,

My question is maybe stupid, but in the real world, when painting, 3 things are used, each one with their own characteristics : a paint or an ink ; a tool to apply this paint ; and finally a media.

I mainly use MyPaint, Gimp and Inkscape, but I also made a quick tour of other painting softwares. If all of them take into account the color (as is, without any characteristic like viscosity, nature of a paint - oily or aqueous) and the toools to apply the color (with a stiking inventiveness regarding the brushes !), I have not found any that directly simulate the behavior of the media on which the color is applied. However, to take just the example of the watercolor, the paper has a fundamental importance on the effects that can be applied and on the final rendering.

Of course, with a good expertise - and dexterity - in a particular software, one can, by manipulating the image, achieve a very close if not identical result. But this is akin to a Grand Chef cooking, with secret recipes, tricks and tips, subtle dosages...

So, my question is : why the medias are not implemented in the painting softwares ? There is some few basic parameters as the substrate porosity, surface roughness, anisotropy of the porosity and/or roughness, inclination of the surface of work, and if this is coupled to some parameters of the ink, like viscosity, attractive or repulsive power of the ink, you can work really more intuitively.

There is probaly a good reason for that, but what is it ?

Thank you for your answers.

TeeGee

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-02-04 07:46:44 UTC (about 10 years ago)

04 . 2014 . 7:25 "Thierry Chaverot" :

So, my question is : why the medias are not implemented in the painting softwares ?

Because you tried too few apps :)

There is some few basic parameters as the substrate porosity, surface roughness, anisotropy of the porosity and/or roughness,

inclination

of the surface of work, and if this is coupled to some parameters of the ink, like viscosity, attractive or repulsive power of the ink, you can

work

really more intuitively.

There is probaly a good reason for that, but what is it ?

Computation cost for real-time painting. Also, expecting it in Inkscape... Um :)

Alexandre

Thierry Chaverot
2014-02-04 12:19:45 UTC (about 10 years ago)

Hi Alexandre,

you wrote :

Because you tried too few apps :)

If you have any leads, let me known !

Computation cost for real-time painting.

I suppose that is the main reason - I'm not a programmer...

Also, expecting it in Inkscape... Um :)

What do you mean by "expecting it in Inkscape" ? Inkscape is more oriented vector-based drawing than painting, although bitmap capacities have been added.

Thierry

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

sam tygier
2014-02-06 10:39:43 UTC (about 10 years ago)

On 04/02/14 03:24, Thierry Chaverot wrote:

I mainly use MyPaint, Gimp and Inkscape, but I also made a quick tour of other painting softwares.

Did you have a look at Krita http://krita.org/