RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

do images that use textures, fractals, etc., get GPL infected?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

do images that use textures, fractals, etc., get GPL infected? Alexander R. Pruss 31 Aug 15:01
  do images that use textures, fractals, etc., get GPL infected? Simon Budig 31 Aug 16:38
  do images that use textures, fractals, etc., get GPL infected? Sven Neumann 31 Aug 18:13
Alexander R. Pruss
2004-08-31 15:01:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I was wondering under what circumstances images created with the Gimp need to be GPL'ed. Obviously, program output is not a derivative work. But images created with the Gimp might incorporate copyrighted elements such as brush shapes (there might be a single brush stroke from which the brush could be reconstructed), a texture, fill pattern, etc. Or what if I use a default set of parameters from Fractal Explorer to generate a fractal that is a prominent part of an image? (The latter is the question that interests me. I wish I knew what "source code" means in that context, too. The fractal params? The xcf file?)

Alex

Simon Budig
2004-08-31 16:38:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Alexander R. Pruss (ap85@georgetown.edu) wrote:

I was wondering under what circumstances images created with the Gimp need to be GPL'ed. Obviously, program output is not a derivative work. But images created with the Gimp might incorporate copyrighted elements such as brush shapes (there might be a single brush stroke from which the brush could be reconstructed), a texture, fill pattern, etc. Or what if I use a default set of parameters from Fractal Explorer to generate a fractal that is a prominent part of an image? (The latter is the question that interests me. I wish I knew what "source code" means in that context, too. The fractal params? The xcf file?)

Brush shapes, Patterns etc. are packaged with the Gimp for the sole purpose of being incorporated into other images. It is not intended to extend the GPL to images generated with the GIMP.

Maybe we should state this explicit in a readme, maybe even place the brushes/patterns etc. in the public domain explicitely.

So you can do with your images whatever you want. If there are facts that prohibit this for whatever reason (because of the GIMP distribution) we will eliminate this obstacle.

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-08-31 18:13:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Alexander R. Pruss" writes:

I was wondering under what circumstances images created with the Gimp need to be GPL'ed.

Under no circumstances will the use of The GIMP or any of the data files that ship with The GIMP force any kind of license on the images you create with it. I am not a lawyer but this is the GIMP developers' point of view on this subject. We have always denied to include plug-ins that attempt to put restrictions on how they are being used. The GPL applies to the source code only.

Sven