RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"GIMP" for iOS

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

"GIMP" for iOS Zot Dudot 21 Jan 23:21
  "GIMP" for iOS Michael Schumacher 21 Jan 23:59
   "GIMP" for iOS Michael Schumacher 28 Jan 00:28
    "GIMP" for iOS Michael Schumacher 31 Jan 11:44
     "GIMP" for iOS lovable_gladiator 01 Feb 19:59
      "GIMP" for iOS Michael Schumacher 02 Feb 01:13
Zot Dudot
2014-01-21 23:21:03 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

Hello. First of all, thank you all for being a part of the legend that is GIMP!

Recently, I noticed there is an app for iOS in iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/awesome-gimp-photo-editor-pro/id756630894?mt=8 which uses the name GIMP, uses the GIMP mascot for the icon, is NOTHING like GIMP whatsoever, doesn't give a disclaimer about its nonofficial status, and (most outrageously) is charging money. I purchased this app yesterday thinking it would be similar to GIMP, yet it couldn't be more different if it tried. The main interface uses an editing suite by Aviary. This same suite has shown up in other entirely unrelated apps. Apart from that, the only original feature is a bare-bones main screen with a difficult-to-use photo selection feature and the ability to share the saved project with others. That's it. I have a feeling something hinky is going on.

The developer's name for the misnamed GIMP app is Amit Chaudhary. I don't know if any of you know him (I'm guessing you do not, I don't see his name listed among Gimp's developers/contributors nor is he listed among Aviary's: http://aviary.com/company). If you do, are you aware of this issue? If you do not, do you plan on taking any legal action? After all, I (and surely others) feel cheated out of the money I spent on the app. Whereas your desktop app is stellar (and unbelieveably free)! So I was naturally surprised and let down by this pretender app.

If this is all a mistake on my end, I apologize. However, it would be nice if the app were more similar to the Gimp we all know and love, insofar as that is practicable on iOS.

Thank you kindly for your attention.

Regards, Zot Dudot

Michael Schumacher
2014-01-21 23:59:22 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

On 22.01.2014 00:21, Zot Dudot wrote:

Hi Zot,

The developer's name for the misnamed GIMP app is Amit Chaudhary. I don't know if any of you know him (I'm guessing you do not, I don't see his name listed among Gimp's developers/contributors nor is he listed among Aviary's: http://aviary.com/company). If you do, are you aware of this issue?

no, we weren't

If you do not, do you plan on taking any legal action?

I've used the iTunes complaints form to file a complaint against this app based on publicity, application name, keywords and other (i.e. the icon). With some explanatory text of what people expect to get when they see an application called GIMP photo editor somewhere.

Well... or at least I'm trying to, that page is sitting on "Submitting..." for a while already.

Let's see if this is enough, once the complaint has been submitted.

After all, I (and surely others) feel cheated out of the money I spent on the app. Whereas your desktop app is stellar (and unbelieveably free)! So I was naturally surprised and let down by this pretender app.

I fear that getting the 99c back might be more hassle than worth (unless Apple just returns it to you, I have no idea how they handle such cases). Maybe the fact that you have helped to take down an annoying trap is some consolation (if it works, I hope it does)). Sorry about your inconvenience.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Michael Schumacher
2014-01-28 00:28:28 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

On 22.01.2014 00:59, Michael Schumacher wrote:

I've used the iTunes complaints form to file a complaint against this app based on publicity, application name, keywords and other (i.e. the icon). With some explanatory text of what people expect to get when they see an application called GIMP photo editor somewhere.

Well... or at least I'm trying to, that page is sitting on "Submitting..." for a while already.

In the meantime, Apple has reacted to my mail - they mailed the app creator and told him to explain himself. Which he did, but not exactly to our satisfaction.

I've replied to this, and suggested an action that should be agreeable by both parties. Let's see what's going to happen now.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Schumacher
2014-01-31 11:44:16 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

On 28.01.2014 01:28, Michael Schumacher wrote:

On 22.01.2014 00:59, Michael Schumacher wrote:

In the meantime, Apple has reacted to my mail - they mailed the app creator and told him to explain himself. Which he did, but not exactly to our satisfaction.

I've replied to this, and suggested an action that should be agreeable by both parties. Let's see what's going to happen now.

Progress update - the creator of the Aviary SDK, which is used by this application according to a comment on the app's own iTunes page, have replied to an inquiry about whether this is correct:

"This app was not created by Aviary but they are using our SDK. We'll take action on our side to report this app (they're actually breaking our terms of use as well)"

Regards,
Michael
lovable_gladiator
2014-02-01 19:59:06 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

Hello Michael,

What about these Aviary based iOS apps (not made by Aviary Inc. ): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/picture-perfect-photo-editor/id665694128?mt=8 , https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pic-collage/id448639966?mt=8 , etc.

Here is a preview lists of iOS apps developed using FREE Aviary SDK : http://blog.aviary.com/see-whos-integrating-aviarys-mobile-sdks/

Aviary provides a FREE SDK for iOS, Android, and for web on which thousands of mobile apps, web apps are made. You just need to create a free developer account and then just need to register your app in free and then you are all set to go to use free Aviary SDK!!!!

There are so many apps which are based on free Aviary SDK but all these many apps are not made by Aviary Inc.

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/GIMP-for-iOS-tp41773p41862.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Michael Schumacher
2014-02-02 01:13:39 UTC (about 10 years ago)

"GIMP" for iOS

On 01.02.2014 20:59, lovable_gladiator wrote:

Hello Michael,

What about these Aviary based iOS apps (not made by Aviary Inc. ):

What about them? Have you read what this thread is about?

Regards,
Michael