RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp users matter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp users matter Andrew_Bridget 13 Jan 18:31
  gimp users matter [resize on export] Liam R E Quin 13 Jan 19:32
  gimp users matter Alexandre Prokoudine 13 Jan 23:15
   gimp users matter Ofnuts 13 Jan 23:27
    gimp users matter Alexandre Prokoudine 13 Jan 23:53
     gimp users matter Ofnuts 14 Jan 01:38
     gimp users matter Mark Bourne 14 Jan 19:28
Andrew_Bridget
2014-01-13 18:31:44 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

A question that asked late last year as I had a need to resize and keep working on original. That's when I found the save for web had been reinstated as 2.6.

Liam R E Quin
2014-01-13 19:32:30 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter [resize on export]

On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 18:31 +0000, Andrew_Bridget wrote:

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

It's true, I've sometimes overwritten my archival copy like that.

A checkbox, "save as a readonly file" on export, and "save as" or 'save a copy" would help a lot.

Resize on export - I usually resize and then run sharpen or unsharp, and often adjust curves, before the actual export.

I really really really wish I could tell in some way from the GUI whether the image *as I see it now* on screen, in gimp, has been exported; I'm entirely uninterested in knowing if I exported the image 3 hours ago, before lots of changes, which is all GIMP tells me today. The * in the title bar for "image has not been saved" used to do that, because save as png or jpeg counted as a save and removed the "dirty" flag. I don't want that back again (can lose data by forgetting to save back to xcf) but I'd like (say) a % to mean "exported but changed since last export".

With that, the resize/export/undo cycle would become much more reliable.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-01-13 23:15:33 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

13 . 2014 . 22:32 "Andrew_Bridget" < andrew_bridget@btinternet.com> :

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option

bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

If you reall care about the output quality, you _never_ just resize. You resize and sharpen, and amount of sharpening is decided on picture-by-picture basis.

This is something I would expect the "Save for Web" plugin to do, not the stock exporter.

Alexandre

Ofnuts
2014-01-13 23:27:07 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

On 01/14/2014 12:15 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

13 . 2014 . 22:32 "Andrew_Bridget" < andrew_bridget@btinternet.com> :

This is such a common task, there may be cause to have a Resize option

bundled with the Export command. Having to always perform them as two separate steps is an annoyance, but the possibility of accidentally saving the wrong resolution back to the XCF file is a danger.

If you reall care about the output quality, you _never_ just resize. You resize and sharpen, and amount of sharpening is decided on picture-by-picture basis.

Yes. And sometimes you even blur the picture slightly before resizing to avoid artifacts caused by spatial frequency folding.

This is something I would expect the "Save for Web" plugin to do, not the stock exporter.

"Web" is a bit restrictive: games, wallpapers, pictures in documents...

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-01-13 23:53:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:27 AM, Ofnuts wrote:

Yes. And sometimes you even blur the picture slightly before resizing to avoid artifacts caused by spatial frequency folding.

Precisely :)

Restrictive? To me it's just a fancy and easy to understand name for a function that everyone who's in this business knows from Photoshop anyway. I can't immediately think of a different name to explain in few plain words that resizing, optimization, and enhancement for final output is about to happen.

Alexandre

Ofnuts
2014-01-14 01:38:40 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

On 01/14/2014 12:53 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Precisely :)

Restrictive? To me it's just a fancy and easy to understand name for a function that everyone who's in this business knows from Photoshop anyway. I can't immediately think of a different name to explain in few plain words that resizing, optimization, and enhancement for final output is about to happen.

Finalize? Finish?

Mark Bourne
2014-01-14 19:28:09 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

A few thoughts, though not sure any of them are really any better... "Export for Production", "Export for Publishing" or just "Publish"?

Mark.